First time taking my pup out (pics)

Jenna

First time taking my pup out (pics)

Post by Jenna » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:33 pm

Here's "Fletcher", my 8 month old english setter pup. These were taken a couple of days ago. It was the first time I had him in the field, as he has been in WA for the last 5 months living with my mom being socialized (she has a boutique/daycare/grooming/boarding facility) and taking trips with my friend who hunts. He let him run with a couple GSPs so I know he was in good company :D

He's bench bred (obviously) and all I'm hoping for (field wise) is to get a JH and maybe a SH someday. He'll do fine in the show ring, but I think it's important for dogs to retain their natural abilities.

These shots were taken on our 13 acres in Nevada County, CA. We came across a bunch of birds, jack-bunnies, and deer, and of course, my camera battery died 5 minutes into our adventure.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: First time taking my pup out (pics)

Post by mcbosco » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

Nice classic setter you have there. Lines of that dog?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:29 pm

nice pics jenna!! does he have Tomoka or Bozeann's mosley in his lines? :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:59 pm

Bet he really darkens up when you strip him. He is a looker, even though he's not my flavor. :)

One thing to keep in mind is if you want to pursue a Hunt Test title above JH (SH or MH), the dog must retrieve. I don't think it's a big deal. Setters do well in advanced obedience, but it is something to keep on the burner.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:08 pm

That looks like Western Nevada County to me, if it is there are some pretty good Mtn. Quail and Grouse areas near you and you are only a couple hrs away from some good chukar hunting in Nevada. GOOD LUCK

Jenna

Post by Jenna » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks everyone!

He retrieves a bumper pretty well. I'll have him sitting by my side, throw it a pretty good distance, then release him. He'll find it and bring it back to me, though a couple of times he took off with it wanting me to play catch, but I'm wise to his games and know better than to take part in them.

We have a TON of quail on the property, and I've seen some other birds but not exactly sure what they are. We also have a 2 acre pond, and about 50 geese that party every night, but at any given time of the day there are at least a dozen. They've been nesting here for years. Fletcher doesn't quite know what to make of them.

He comes from all show lines, though there's one DC (DC Setr Ridge Solid Gold) that shows up multiple times on both sides of his pedigree. He goes back to the old Fieldplay, Windem, Guys N Dolls, and English Times. His sire is Esthete bred and his dam is an outcross of Sir Cedric and Stagedoor.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 am

Jenna,
Great pictures, looks liek you guys will have a blast. Back when I assisted Di full time, I constantly saw Stagedoor Rocket Man on the circut. He was a classy dog, and that tail... Perfect tail set, all the time. That thing never went above or below level, pretty crazy. Hadji was a beautiful boy. From a show standpoint, You have a lovely setter both physically and pedigree wise. Looking forward to seeing him in both worlds. Hope to cross paths with you when I get back in the game.
Kelli
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)