Field trial accidents, ever see one?

Cardinal Fan

Field trial accidents, ever see one?

Post by Cardinal Fan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:26 pm

I have never participated in any field trials, but got a question for those that have or still do.

Have you ever witnessed or been part of a shooting accident (hopefully not) during a field trial?

If so, what happened and how did the judge(s) handle the situation.

Cardinal Fan

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:35 pm

in horseback trials, no, i have not seen one. but the live ammunition shooting situations that occur, employ a gunner other than the handler, and with few exceptions, the whole situation is set up for safety.

maybe in NSTRA or the run and gun events, i don't know. have not seen one there either.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:38 pm

I have not seen, but have heard of people getting peppered, or more precisely "rained on," from great distances (no shots with any real velocity left in them). Usually this ends with a bit of yelling and not much more as I've been told.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:42 pm

I have seen a few accidents one was a judges poor habits driving around to get a better veiw of a dog he was not judging (had he gone to the dog he was supposed to be judging doing his job he would have never entered harms way )causing him to drive up in what was a clear lane for shooting ...
I have seen judges get dumped off a horses
I have seen judges flip 4 wheelers

personally I think the judges are more in harms way then the handlers
Most trials are actually pretty safe Judges also are suppose to help keep things safe by calling safteies in NSTRA and also the handler when ever there is a shot which may hit or do anything dangerous

AKC and American field even more saftey wise for firing as they only fire blank pistols in their trials

A few years back there was a Judge and 2 horses killed by lightning in AZ

These incidences are far and few between...so in relation to driving and other activities .....trialing I would have to say is a pretty safe sport....
I NSTRA trial which we shoot a birds pointing as long as it is safe to do so
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:50 pm

well, if you were asking about any kind of accident, yes a few "crashes" happen every year, especially in the trials in the west held in rocky terrain. crash being when a horse looses his footing and goes down or throws a handler. most people survive em though. :D

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:58 pm

No matter what there is some sort of risk anytime you are out in the fields. I have seen a few involving horses, 4 wheelers, gun fire, and no lie just walking to a dog! Ask 12volt he blew his knee out last year at a trial!
There just is them times the crap hits the fan in anything you do.