first gun dog

shooter2005

first gun dog

Post by shooter2005 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:59 am

i am getting my first gundog a chesapeake bay retriever. i have just given the breeder my deposit. can anyone give me some advice on things that i would need to purchase before i bring the dog home. i want to have most of the stuff for him already at the house so that it is as smooth of a transition for him as possible. i have already purchesed a collar and a leash, dog bed and a few toys like balls to play fetch and the such. just wanted some advice as far as things that i would need to train him since this will be my first gundog and my first dog in general. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for the help.
what goes up, must come down

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: first gun dog

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:52 am

First thing is get yourself trained..Have a clue as to what to discourage and encourage in your pup to help guide it to being the dog you want.

All the toys and stuff will not make a good transition if you aren't prepare to being the family pack leader.

A crate,
a safe area for the pup to be unattended
As for toy PVC fittings work great careful of stuffed toys while unattended some pups like to dismember them and those plastic eyes and the stuffing can be dangerous of swallowed avoid ones with squeaky's in them those can lead to a dog chomping to hear the squeak which can lead to chomping on birds

again Learn how to get your pup to grow up with manners which will also help you in the field in your case sitting is a good thing I would start with teaching sit at dinner time don't even have to say anything dog sits bowl of food comes down pup gets up before the bowl makes it to the ground lift bowl up pup sits bowl comes back down...the pup will make the association that sitting gets him food once he is doing the action of sit then add the command this way the command becomes to sit not a distraction

Find a trainer in your area spend time with them before you get your pup..gets some hands on Before you get your pup this will put you ahead of the game :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

shooter2005

Post by shooter2005 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:47 am

thank you that does help a lot. i have started reading up on training my pup already and that seems to be what everything i have read is saying. teach him the basics like sitting and normal obediance and to establish yourself as the alpha male. thanks again for the help.

mik

Post by mik » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:04 am

I would suggest reading "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by The Monks of New Skete....I've used it as a guide to raisin my pups in the past and have found it to work for me and my family.....You're already cruising this website so you are a step ahead already alot of useful information here....
Using the breeder as a resource I would also recommend...Usually very helpful cause they want to see their "kids" go to good nurturing homes....

reba

Post by reba » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:08 am

YOU MUST HAVE A CRATE starting on the first day.

Read up on crate training.

Have fun, because a puppy is only a puppy for a very short time:-)=

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:16 am

My pup went through about $300 of the wifes shoes and cloths in the first month, your family must know that anything the is in reach is a toy, even if its placed there for 3 minutes.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:50 am

It had been some years since we had a bird dog pup(which require more training, exercise than most dogs imo) but we brought our GSP home 3 weeks ago and the first thing we did was find a vet we were comfortable with(unless you have one already), get a crate, toys(dummies ect for retrieving), nylabones, kong toys for chewing, snacks for training, pick a food you will use, dishes, collar with a tag of all info incase pup gets lost, checkcord or leash, shampoo, brush, nail clippers, ear cleaning solution, pooper scooper and bags for back yard, phone number of local clubs you may want to join, also establish a plan of where you will let the pup be when he is out of the crate while he is potty training(you dont want him to be allowed to roam freely or you'll have messes).. we blocked off the kitchen with baby gates for when she was out of her crate..also i suggest to figure out your work schedule and be sure to make LOTS of time for walks and play time so the pup doesnt get so bored it becomes disobedient, barks, chews ect..although a pup will tend to do these things they are less likely to do them if they are stimulated as much as possible..(more planning = less stress)....good luck...ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:25 pm

My advice is to only buy the bare essentials, for pups are like kids and they all seem to grow. So much of what you buy today will not be used after the first few weeks. Get a cheap little adjustable collar till he is getting pretty well grown, a light leash, a feed and water dish unless you want to use some pot or pans you all ready have and don't use any more. A toy or two is good unless you have something he can chew on and play with. You do need a crate and keep the pup in it when in the house other than the time you are actively engaged with it such as playing or eating. When you are through the pup goes back in the cage for nap time.

Other stuff you can pickup when or if needed. But do wit till the pup is somewhere around 6 months to buy permanent items like regular collars, and heavy duty leashes and check cords.

Main thing in the first six months is socialization and teaching manners. Leading, heeling, come when called, kennel when told, down and any other commands you want and of course the dreaded housebreaking, which is quite simple if you use the crate properly.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

shooter2005

Post by shooter2005 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:42 am

mik wrote:I would suggest reading "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by The Monks of New Skete....I've used it as a guide to raisin my pups in the past and have found it to work for me and my family.....You're already cruising this website so you are a step ahead already alot of useful information here....
Using the breeder as a resource I would also recommend...Usually very helpful cause they want to see their "kids" go to good nurturing homes....
i have been in contact with the breeder on the subject as well because they said they do some minimal work with the dogs with socializing the dogs, bird dog aptitude, and swiming. i figured talking to the breeder would be a good idea as they have been doing this for a while and would probably be able to make some suggestions for me and my new pup.

Rtyler4616@

Post by Rtyler4616@ » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Sound Beginnings retriever training DVD by Jackie Mertens is always highly recommended, and not too expensive.

A basic book is Tom Dokken's Retriever Training, it is easy to understand, affordable, and will get you started off on the right track.

I've been around a litter of chessie's pretty recently, they're a fun bunch! Bet you'll enjoy your pup.

shooter2005

Post by shooter2005 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:57 am

Rtyler4616@ wrote:Sound Beginnings retriever training DVD by Jackie Mertens is always highly recommended, and not too expensive.

A basic book is Tom Dokken's Retriever Training, it is easy to understand, affordable, and will get you started off on the right track.

I've been around a litter of chessie's pretty recently, they're a fun bunch! Bet you'll enjoy your pup.

i have already ordered Tom Dokken's Retriever Training. im sure i will enjoy the pup. i am looking forward to the times ahead. its really been the only thing on my mind since i put the down payment on the pup. they not even born yet.

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:48 am

Stock up on paper towels and a digital camera. Everyone loves puppy pictures!
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

shooter2005

Post by shooter2005 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:30 am

i got plenty of digital cameras. im sure ill be taking all kinds of pics of him. paper towels is a good idea...