Help w/GSP Pedigree

JessW

Help w/GSP Pedigree

Post by JessW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:50 am

Can I get some experienced GSP folks to share their thoughts on the lines in the attached pedigree?

Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Help w/GSP Pedigree

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:36 pm

It's a mother to son breeding with too much Clown to be reliable. The addition of Koonas to an inbreeding on Clown would not be on my list. JMO.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

volraider

Post by volraider » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:02 pm

On paper, it will be totally opposite of your other 2 dogs.

JessW

Post by JessW » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:11 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:It's a mother to son breeding with too much Clown to be reliable. The addition of Koonas to an inbreeding on Clown would not be on my list. JMO.

Are mother to son breeding fairly rare? I am not well versed in the least but I have never seen one that close.

willt

Post by willt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm

I wouldnt recommend it, to close of breeding for my liken.I have heard of people wanting to do that but don't know if they ever done it. JMO

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:20 pm

I have done it several times with dogs and hundreds of times with other animals and like what it produces if you use the right animals.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

willt

Post by willt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:35 pm

Ezzy please explain, I have a female shorthair that the owner of her dad wants to breed them toghether. To keep that line going. Should I consider it?
Thanks,
Will

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:52 pm

willt wrote:Ezzy please explain, I have a female shorthair that the owner of her dad wants to breed them toghether. To keep that line going. Should I consider it?
Thanks,
Will
It is called line breeding. It works well. Alot has to do with how close is the rest of the pedigree. You can over do it and create problems, but if it works it works well.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:54 pm

willt wrote:Ezzy please explain, I have a female shorthair that the owner of her dad wants to breed them toghether. To keep that line going. Should I consider it?
Thanks,
Will

Why not consider it?
What you have to think about though is are both dogs worth breeding and not doing it just because it will be tight. IMO it takes good dogs to produce good dogs no matter if the cross is out or tight like the one you mention. IMO also this is the a good way to produce a prepotent animal in that can be used to down the line to carry on the traits you are looking for. BUT you're just as likely to get the bad as you are the good.

willt

Post by willt » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:04 pm

I understand now thanks for the clear up, I am sorry for being so dumb just wasnt sure. I am new to this whole breeding thing.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Only if you are prepared to quarantee the results...Could be good, or could be terrible...Not worth it in my book...
brenda

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:19 pm

JessW wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:It's a mother to son breeding with too much Clown to be reliable. The addition of Koonas to an inbreeding on Clown would not be on my list. JMO.

Are mother to son breeding fairly rare? I am not well versed in the least but I have never seen one that close.
The usual linebreeding is to take niece to uncle or nephew to aunt. Father to daughter or grandfather to granddaughter are much more common that mother to son breedings. To me, a mother to son breeding gives the impression of a last resort for a pairing, like the breeder simply didn't want to or couldn't go outside their own dogs.

Linebred Clown dogs are flaky. Koonass dogs have some personality issues on occassion. If you were considering breeding this dog to one of your Prairie bitches, I wouldn't suggest it.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
JessW wrote:

The usual linebreeding is to take niece to uncle or nephew to aunt. Father to daughter or grandfather to granddaughter are much more common that mother to son breedings. To me, a mother to son breeding gives the impression of a last resort for a pairing, like the breeder simply didn't want to or couldn't go outside their own dogs.

Linebred Clown dogs are flaky. Koonass dogs have some personality issues on occassion. If you were considering breeding this dog to one of your Prairie bitches, I wouldn't suggest it.
Why is that too much Clown? How is or can it be flaky? I've seen alot tighter Clown than that and it's not even close to being flakly. Next are you sure it was a true Clown breeding? What's your experience with alot of Clown? Viewer's want to know.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:14 am

I've seen Clown sons and daughters with no additional Clown in there ped be flaky, I've seen linebred clown dogs that were exceptional birddogs, it can go either way, without knowing your dog or the traits within them it's hard to make any assumptions.
Koonas shows up once in 4 gens, while there could be some personality issues with first gen koonas offspring or tightly linebred it diminished rather quickly in succeding gens due to the dilligence of the breeders in the know how. And let us not forget the females he was bred to also......some of them were'nt Angels by the way......
I'm not going to get into the whole linebreeding issue in this thread, it has been addressed so many times on here I would suggest to do a search on this forum using the search box in the upper right on the forum header. Just type in linebreed or any form there of and it should pull up many topics for your viewing pleasure.

larry

Post by larry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm

I did a father daughter breeding a few years ago, we have been very happy with the results. My avitar pic is one of the pups and pedigree is in my signature.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:05 am

I wouldn't be afraid of mother son or father daughter if you know what you have and where they came from without all the BS people talk about dogs they have never seen.

In 2-4 years when I breed my dog it will be 3 at least 3 years of research... and watching.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:48 am

I have always heard Mother/Son is not as good as Father/Daughter....I have no idea what the difference is..Seems like all the same genes.... :roll: .But I did a Mother-Son breeding years ago that was a complete disaster....Never again...
brenda

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 am

The only mother x son product I have had was an outside dog who died of lymphoma at eight years old. I have grandfather x granddaughter and 1/2 uncle x niece and 1/2 nephew x aunt dogs with no issues.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:The only mother x son product I have had was an outside dog who died of lymphoma at eight years old. I have grandfather x granddaughter and 1/2 uncle x niece and 1/2 nephew x aunt dogs with no issues.
I'm thinking about grandfather for my dog on top side... or bottom. Larry lowell is doing a father daughter breeding with NEO right now that should be great dogs if anyone is looking for a pup.

JessW

Post by JessW » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 pm

Wow. Been offline for a while. Thanks for the responses and feedback.

I was approached by someone about breeding to one of my Prairie bitches but I don't think I am ready to go down that road yet. I will probably rely heavily on Janet's advice when and/if I decide to breed them.

Thanks again.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:38 pm

JessW wrote:
Wow. Been offline for a while. Thanks for the responses and feedback.

I was approached by someone about breeding to one of my Prairie bitches but I don't think I am ready to go down that road yet. I will probably rely heavily on Janet's advice when and/if I decide to breed them.

Thanks again.
I am familiar with the Clark dogs and that's specifically why I mentioned that I did not think it would be a good cross. I have three linebred Clown dogs, two from Ricky and one from a Clown daughter that brings more Esser's Chick in. They are powerhouse dogs, but flakier than a pie crust contest.