What A Weekend!

CowboyBirdDogs

What A Weekend!

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:58 am

Well I had a pretty fun weekend, I went to my first Hunt Test and NSTRA Trial on Saturday and Sunday. I didn't run in either, I went to watch my buddy get his dogs first leg of his JH and then went as a spectator to a NSTRA Trial. I really enjoyed the NSTRA Trial a lot, I went to the Lonestar Region Trial in Anna, TX. Really great, helpful people all around. I rode with the judges most of the day and learned a lot from them about what they are expecting and about bird dogs in general. This seems like the venue for me and my dogs, but I still haven't gone to a walking shorthair FT. I explained to all the guys there that wild bird hunting would always be my #1 priority and that this was just to extend the season. Not sure if my dog is ready to compete at that level yet, maybe at the amateur level first but not with all the big boys out there. I had been debating about who to get to train Tucker and most of the feedback I got was that I should just read some books and find a few knowledgable buddies to help me. I think/hope I can do it! I learned a lot this weekend and I will definintly be going back to some trials to watch and meet some new people!

Coveyrise64

Re: What A Weekend!

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 am

There are two NAVHDA chapters in TX. Both hold monthly member training days that would provide you an excellent opportunity to get help with your training.

http://www.lonestarnavhda.org/

http://www.texasnavhda.org/

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:20 am

One is having a training seminar this weekend. If I just wanted to work on the pointing aspect of it and not necessarily retrieving or versatile stuff yet could I do that?

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:32 am

electric.. i have been reading some of these post your are putting up and everyone one i read it sounds more like me.. I have 3 dogs and i am too just getting into the trials, i actullly went to a NSTRA trial here this weekend as well. I too am getting married in June, am your age, looking to get help from trainers, but just joined a few clubs here and made some buddies. I too am going to a training session this saturday with the NAVDHA guys this weekend.. my first priority is to hunt my dogs but would like to run them in trials for fun, but i hear we will get addicted.. im fine with that though..

I just had to mention that when i saw this thread, too funny.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 am

Wow! That is crazy! A lot of similarities there for sure. I think there are a lot of guys like us out there just getting started and don't necessarily have all the money in the world to go and blow like some of the more established people. It's a challenge but it is a lot of fun! One day maybe me and you will be the established ones one here. :D

uplandrsb

Post by uplandrsb » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:39 am

That is true.. I have noticed that i am always the youngest one out ther and most seem to not care about helping with the training/rules/etc.. cant get enough of the sport!!

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:46 am

ElectricShorthairs wrote:One is having a training seminar this weekend. If I just wanted to work on the pointing aspect of it and not necessarily retrieving or versatile stuff yet could I do that?
I'm pretty sure you can work on any part of the training you like. That's the way it is at our chapter. It doesn't hurt to watch and help others though. Soak up as much knowledge as possible. Like any oragnaization or club, you will get out of it what you are willing to put in.

Coveyrise64

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:50 am

Ya the NSTRA club I went to this week had some very helpful people that I like a lot. I ran into one crappy judge that was a jerk an told that I needed to read the rulebook if I wanted to know them and to not talk to him while he was trying to think. He wasn't wildly popular with anyone there though so I'm not going to let one old grouch ruin it for me. :roll:
The other judges didn't really care for him either and were more than helpful in explaining the NSTRA game and bird dogs in general.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:51 am

CoveyRise64- I will do that. I'm more than willing to help in any way possible, I will be there as long as I don't have to work.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:24 am

ElectricShorthairs wrote:CoveyRise64- I will do that. I'm more than willing to help in any way possible, I will be there as long as I don't have to work.
Are you closely related to coveyrise? :lol:
big steve

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:41 am

big steve46 wrote:
ElectricShorthairs wrote:CoveyRise64- I will do that. I'm more than willing to help in any way possible, I will be there as long as I don't have to work.
Ha, Ha, Ha, pretty funny there big boy.......I bet you about cracked yourself up on that one. :mrgreen: I guess I need to talk with Ruthie about all the free time you have on your hands. :P

Coveyrise64

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:
big steve46 wrote:
Ha, Ha, Ha, pretty funny there big boy.......I bet you about cracked yourself up on that one. :mrgreen: I guess I need to talk with Ruthie about all the free time you have on your hands. :P

Coveyrise64
??? :?:

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

ElectricShorthairs wrote:.......as long as I don't have to work.
His comment wasn't directed at you. He was just kidding me.............. :mrgreen:

Coveyrise64

willt

Post by willt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 pm

I run a little NSTRA also and love it, be prepared to meet alot of nice people. I have been a member for about a year now and the president here wants me to go out o=and get mty judging card, he says that the more u judge the more understanding you will have of the game. You can also see what other guys have done with there dog in training and it gives you ideas of how to train your dog. It's very addicting though, so be prepared.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:36 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:a

Coveyrise64
He has no free time Too many burrs to comb out and food stains to pretreat.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:44 pm

I rode with the judges quite a bit this weekend and learned a lot about the competition just by doing that, I picked their brain the entire time and asked 500 questions.