Disappointed..just lost out on a French Brit

nitecapt

Disappointed..just lost out on a French Brit

Post by nitecapt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 pm

I was expecting a pup which I had ordered from an excellent and trustworthy breeder. Turns out the dam had a false pregnancy. This will slow down my recovery from losing two over the winter. I miss my dogs terribly. I'm having dreams about putting the last one down in Feb.

So now I have to start my search all over again. I am looking for a dog with good breeding, great championship lines and a history of ancestors with good hips.

As a bit of background, I bought my first French Brit in 1981 from one of the original re-importers of the breed to the USA. His name is David Follansbee and he was the first editor of Gun Dog Magazine. There may have been 2 breeders in the country at that time. She was OBSESSED with birds. If she wasn't hunting (which in a sense she always was) she would sit on the back porch and watch the sky for birds flying by. I could tell stories for days about the remarkable stuff she did and the nose that most any hunter would kill for. After the first died I waited about 3 years and the got 2 more about 6 months apart from 2 breeders, one in NY and the other in NC, both of those are no longer around, nor is Follansbee. Both these dogs were great in the field and at home. I have come to know and love this breed. The original one was out of the Calembour line as was one of the 2nd pair. As I said, they both died over this winter. I have just turned 60 and I'm not as quick on my feet nor do I have the stamina I used to. I was doing guiding at a local pheasant preserve but at heart, I am a woods hunter for ruffed grouse, so close working is essential. I do not force break dogs to retrieve so a natural desire is preferable. Nose is of the utmost importance, a medium speed methodical work ethic is preferable. I don't want a speed demon. Color is not that important, although I tend not to like roan dogs which many breeders seem to be breeding now. I like clear with ticking. I have touched base with Plum Creek but they have such an extensive breeding program it's a bit intimidating.
Does anyone here have any ideas?

Thanks
Ray

Here's some photos of my wonderful dogs, now gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CowboyBirdDogs

Re: Disappointed..just lost out on a French Brit

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:30 pm

Sorry for your loss, 2 in one winter has to be very hard. These guys can steer you in the right
direction on finding a new breeder. Good luck and keep us posted!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:42 pm

Ray,

I can't help you with the brit, but how about fostering for a local rescue for a little while? Birddogs especially have a hard time getting adopted out - and it's a great feeling knowing you've helped a good dog find a new home. It fills the time and it fills the heart. Just a suggestion for a way to get your "doggy fix" without rushing getting the right puppy.

I know how hard it is to lose a dog - and two at once is heartbreaking. I hope you can find the perfect fit puppy for you!

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:39 am

I can't imagine losing 2 that quickly.

I will be breeding Darius to Chloe shortly. But all the dogs I produce are roan, so probably not what you are looking for.
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

nitecapt

Post by nitecapt » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:51 am

Thank you all for your PM's and expressions of sympathy. Indeed losing 2 at the same time is quite painful. My wife caught me smelling the blanket next to the bed 2 weeks after she died to see if I could still smell her. Pretty embarrassing. Am I pathetic or what? I will consider fostering a gun dog but as I said, my first love are these little French Brits. I have reached out to as many breeders and club members as I can to no avail. I suspect that eventually someone here may be able to point me to a quality reputable breeder with pups expected shortly or on the ground.
Again thank you!!
Best regards
Ray

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:39 am

Every true dog story has a sad ending. I can see they were very loved.

May I suggest, if you've not read it, "Another Autumn, The Rufus Chronicles." A wonderful memoir of a very loved dog.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

4ShotB

Post by 4ShotB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:44 pm

sorry about your loss...i will send you a Pm about a french Britt breeder i spoke with and thought highly of.

apachecadillac

Post by apachecadillac » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:08 pm

Good luck and take your time. I'm all of a year younger than you, and we aren't that old. At the end of last year, I also had a spot in a litter that failed (American Brit, not French) and it was disheartening. Patience, all good things in time . . . If I had a name to give you, I would. But I don't.

Best of luck.

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:24 am

The guy i bought my French from is in Topeka KS. His name is Ed Burdiek.... He has a Female and Male left. He said that Famale has it all, and the male is a real gentleman, I would have gotten one if i didn't get this setter.

http://www.k9stud.com/BrittanyPuppiesforSale.aspx

His Email is: burdiek@ksdot.org

Let me know if you are interested, will help all i can. My French i bought from him, is a real gentleman.

He just lowered the price, Male 350, and Female 450. man i wish i had more room i'd get one today

nitecapt

GOT ONE!!!

Post by nitecapt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:49 am

I found a prime litter in Minnesota. Great lineage, great breeder and he has some not accounted for. Sire has been NBOB for the last 3 years with exc. field titles as well. She'll be ready to go in 4 weeks. I still kept my deposit with the first breeder because they too are honorable people and I will get one from that litter ultimately as well.

Please accept my thanks to all of you for your kindness and consideration. Special thanks go to Mark Dinsmore for contacting me and offering solutions, as well as all who have pointed me to kennels with new pups by either PM's or on this board.

God Bless you all!

Ray

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Ray,
Glad things have worked out for you. Care to share were your going to get the new pup? you may PM me if you like.
AL