Rolling in his kill.

compasscreek

Rolling in his kill.

Post by compasscreek » Tue May 24, 2011 7:31 pm

We have an 7 month old GSP named Felon. he has the some of the basic obedience trianing but we mostly have allowed him to be a puppy. The issue is he wants to roll on to dead animals when he finds them. To my knowledge he has done this three times, once with a deer, once with a decomposed cow and today with the nieghbors chicken...after he killed it. The neighbor wasn't too made. I offfered to replace the chicken but he said it wasn't needed "after all he is a birddog". My question is how do I stop this behavoir, there isn't a bunch of dead animals around to re train this behavoir so what steps do I take? The neighbor Felon "violated" at lives a half a mile away(that's how it is here) abd Felon was only there because he follows my youngest daughter around but our closest neighbor who is a little less then a 1/4 mile away is raising chicks in their gargage and they will eventually be ourt on their property. I can fix him from killing the chickens but how do I get him from rolling in the kill and why does he do this?
"We did not inherit the Earth from our parents,
We are borrowing it from our children"

Winchey

Re: Rolling in his kill.

Post by Winchey » Tue May 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Because he is a dog, don't worry about it, just solve the killing of the neighbours animals, or keep him off your neighbours property and you will be golden.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 24, 2011 8:51 pm

Exactly.

They roll in anything smelly. I read it goes back to their wolf roots. Wolves roll in crap too , apparently to hide their own smell from predators.

You'll have to figure out a way to contain the dog so no more chickens get killed . That can not happen again.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

compasscreek

Post by compasscreek » Tue May 24, 2011 9:31 pm

We can't really contain him, other then barbed wire fences there isn't any fencing around. We live on 20 acres and our property is the smallest in the area. Everyone here knows Felon and my son(it's his dog) went out tonight to talk to the neighbors about tonights incident. Everyone agreed not to shot Felon if he is an issue but I don't really see this becoming a regular thing. Felon actually seems like he knows he did something wrong, I don't know if he KNOWS what it is he did wrong but after his three baths be hasn't wanted to go outside....even when his buddy(a cattledog the same age)came over and barked for him to come out like he normally does.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue May 24, 2011 10:55 pm

All dogs roll in rotten smelly carcasses or anything else that stinks. As said, it is just an instinct they have. About the chicken killing, you need to find a way to contain and be responsible for your dog. Once a chicken killer always a chicken killer and you are going to have problems with neighbors if you don't find away to keep your dog on your property. There is even a good possibility that someone will shoot him and will be within their rights.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 25, 2011 10:09 am

wants to roll on to dead animals when he finds them
Gee I never heard of this :) lol my dogs will find the worst emelling thing possible and roll in it it is insticntual to cover their own natural smell for stalking game. The smell must trigger somethjing.

Now wait till they bring home a dead skunk :) or have one spray them while hunting :) yep say the black and white, say the tail come up saw dogs come running. Is why dogs have a dog box in back.. :)

Just take dog home and give it a bath.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed May 25, 2011 10:42 am

If he likes to kill chickens does he not try to kill the birds you hunt? i would think this is a major problem isnt it? i never had any dogs kill something or try to but i have had them roll in nasty stinkin things..our shorthair ruger rolled in a dead fish with maggots ..i still gag when i think of that, yuck...by the way my boxer not only rolls in stuff but eats it too, especially cow pies :x ....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:48 am

I was at a trial in Oregon a month or so ago and there was a dead sheep on the all age course that was like a magnet ... we would all ride hard to cut dogs off, with limited success and it was a constant bellowing of "GET OUT OF THAT *&%#@!!&((*^%%%&*"

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 25, 2011 2:01 pm

The neighbor Felon "violated" at lives a half a mile away
First step is to restrain the dog, mine never ever leave my property with out me. A yard collar does the trick. Second pick up the dead animals and burn them off or bury them. I get deer all the time folks hit em and leave em in spring they stink up the place so the loader takes care of them and the smell.

If a dog is seen chasing cows or livestock in Iowa it can be shot dead. I keep mine in my area.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

compasscreek

Post by compasscreek » Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 am

Killing chickens is not habitual for him. This is the first time he has done it. He for whatever reason follows my youngest daughter EVERYWHERE. So it's not like he is being left alone to wreak havoc, when he is out and aqbout he is normally on the property. we have horses and cattle but he doesn't chase or harrass them. My main concern was the smelly dead stuff and his excitement for it. Thanks for the input guys!