TRAINING/TEST DAYS WITH A FEMALE IN HEAT...

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

TRAINING/TEST DAYS WITH A FEMALE IN HEAT...

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:21 am

Just wondering what is the proper procedures for having a female due for a heat or in heat during training days and hunt tests?? i have done my schedule for jerseys tests this summer and fall and also training days and realize she will possibly be in heat around august when she has a test and a show :? do they accomodate folks with females in heat at all and do you bring her in bitch pants :oops: or just keep them off? i would not want to embarrass her or myself by not knowing ahead of time what is expected of owners with a female in heat so thanks for the help :D .....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: TRAINING/TEST DAYS WITH A FEMALE IN HEAT...

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:26 am

In NAVHDA you will be put at the end of the test.
Should really keep the dog out of the direct area till then.

Training, I would wait till the end of the day or end of the particular exercise if different areas are used other wise wait till the end.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:49 am

Ruffshooter wrote:In NAVHDA you will be put at the end of the test.
Should really keep the dog out of the direct area till then.

Training, I would wait till the end of the day or end of the particular exercise if different areas are used other wise wait till the end.

Rick
Thanks rick, so do i just let NAVHDA know when i show up that shes come into heat and they will move her test time?..one of her tests is on a saturday so if shes in heat should i plan on it being moved to sunday at the end of all the tests or just at the end of saturday? just wondering if i should keep sunday open on my schedule in case she has to test that day instead...thanks alot, ruth..

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:53 am

Our Club allows no dogs in heat in the trial area.

They can run last but if it is a 2 day trial, that would be Sunday.

I had a dog start to bleed 5 minutes before I was to be called to the line. Grrrrrr. That's why many serious trialers buy males.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:12 am

Ruth, It is possible you will run on Sunday. Down here we do. Your test director can tell you for sure.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 am

Funny you should ask....... I just had to contact the Secretary of a field trial I was planning to run
my GSP bitch in this weekend- as she just went into heat.

I had to scratch her. That's field trials though, not AKC Hunt Tests or NAVHDA tests.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am

GrayDawg wrote:Funny you should ask....... I just had to contact the Secretary of a field trial I was planning to run

I had to scratch her. That's field trials though, not AKC Hunt Tests or NAVHDA tests.

Rob
ive never been to a trial, do they make you scratch her because she is braced with another dog? i just wondered how come trials have different rules then AKC AND NAVHDA regarding heats....thanks, ruth..

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 am

At national AKC trials they will move your dog to the end of the braces

Males can get to be idiots specially if a female in season pees along the course. Even some females can get silly

Many trials ask that females not even be brought on the grounds when they are in season
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:23 am

GUNDOGS wrote:
GrayDawg wrote:Funny you should ask....... I just had to contact the Secretary of a field trial I was planning to run

Rob
ive never been to a trial, do they make you scratch her because she is braced with another dog? i just wondered how come trials have different rules then AKC AND NAVHDA regarding heats....thanks, ruth..
Females in heat are generally scratched from AKC Hunt Tests as well. It usually says on the premium if allowed to run or not. NAVHDA events you will be moved to the end of the order. If all NA is run on Saturday you will run last that day. Best to contact the Test Secretary and let them know ahead of time. As a courtesy to the other handlers it is best to keep your dog confined in the parking area and exercise your dog in some other location.

Coveyrise64
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:12 am

I have not seen an AKC hunt test allow dogs in heat yet. I have seen them in trials but they are few and usually not when its your dog.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:20 am

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a certain day open since there is no real reason to think she will be in heat on that day. I have never been able to "GUESS" which monbth a pup will have her first heat but have had them vary from 6 to 15 months.

Just take it when it comes,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:23 am

In my dog's case, she was going to run in an ALGD stake running on Friday. So even if she ran last on Friday, it would still be there
first thing the next morning- unless we got heavy rain.

I just don't want to risk screwing up another dog on account of me. Then there's also the "females get screwy during their heat cycles"
reason- my Katy is a bit off when she's in season.

We walked away and will return in the fall.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

larry

Post by larry » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 pm

Ruth, if you look at the NAVHDA web site they have the official test entry form. It asks on the form if your dog might be in heat at time of test. Also asks if you woul be willing to test on Sunday (or last day of test) if dog is in heat. As soon as your dog shows signs of coming in to heat and it will still be in during the test you shoul contact the test seretary imediatly. That way he can ajust the runing order before test day.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:16 pm

AKC rules for hunt test is no females in heat allowed to run in the tests or allowed on the test grounds. The main reason is if a female pisses on the course, you'll have every male dog marking the course and not hunting. In my 22 years of hunt tests, I've missed alot of f them due to heat cycles(6 days worth this Spring) :!: