Thoroughbred
No votes
Other gaited breed
No votes

Total votes: 13

Wa Chukar Hunter

OT - Field Trial horse

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 am

I currently/have since I started use a KY Mt Saddle Horse. 8)

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu May 18, 2006 9:35 am

Of the gaited breeds I like the MFT. I like the almost 1/4 horse look to them. I said almost!
Having horses and any breed has it's good, great and bad ones! "Rule of thumb" there is to many good horses to own a bad one!
All i have no is 1/4 horses

SteveB

Post by SteveB » Thu May 18, 2006 10:05 am

I'm not a field trialer but someday I'd like to have a gaited mule.
Steve

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu May 18, 2006 10:19 am

One of the reasons why the TN Walking Horse is chosen as a favorite field trial or hunting mount is that percentage wise there are just alot more of them around most the country than there are of the other popular gaited breeds. Pleasure trail riding and it's versatility has probably done more for this traditionally southern horse to expand it's popularity even to western horse country.
Most WH gait naturally, if not a true head shakeing gait, a smooth derivative none the less.
WH are well known for their good demeanor and disposition.

A few other things that you might consider in a field trial mount might include... A big horse (16 hands or more) can give you a great view and might be the ticket if you're doing a lot of judging or riding the gallery, but a smaller horse can't be beat if you've got a dog that has that habit of pointing lots of birds and you'd have to be getting off and on alot.
You can teach your horse to ground tie. It's one of the best things a trial horse can know. There are videos, books, internet message boards, and how to web site that explain the training process.
Keep a good mouth on the horse. Your hands and the lightest bit your horse needs are paramount.
Train the horse to be mounted on both the near and oft sides. It's helpful in uneven terrain.
Train it to neck rein so you can easily road the pups from it.
Make sure it can lead freely. Nothing is so annoying as trying to "pony up" a horse to your scout or your scout tries to bring your horse after a find and the old hoss decides to lay back on his haunches and rest a spell. Knotted rope "BE NICE" halters
under the bridle will teach a horse to come with and lead.
Buy a correct fitting saddle and pad and you won't have any "cold backed" horses that you have to buck out each morning. There are several very well made saddles similiar to the old Canadian "Ottawa" They have plenty of rings for gear and scabbard, have a rear cantle horn so you can throw aloop on your roading line and have the point of pull on the saddle and not you. If you were to be thrown the loop would slip off and the pups would be free. The trees on the military saddles were made to fit horses of various type. You won't give cause a soreback like some of the poor fitting western stock saddles.
Consider buying a lighter colored horse. A dog can see you at a greater distance. Use the same horse that you train on as you will use in handling the dogs in competion. The pups get real good at watching which way you turn the horse. The body language often works better than voice or whistle in high wind.

Here's a link to one of the Montana Walking Horse breeders. His video was recently reviewed in Western Horseman and Gaited Horse Magazine as excellent. I agree.
http://hashknifehorses.com/hashknife_ho ... tility.htm

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu May 18, 2006 10:26 am

i voted TWH, cause that is what I think I have always had. But half the time there haven't been papers. just "said to be" walkers. All I know is whether the horse is smooth in its main gait or not. I am not sure I could tell a saddle rack (a lateral gait) from a running walk (a diagonal gait), given two horses that are smooth gaited and trying to judge the gait from the saddle, not from the ground watching the horse move.

one that is not on the list, and I suppose some think it is not a true breed of its own, is the racking horse. have ridden a couple of horses that do a true rack, and that is a smoother gait in my view than the running walk - not to mention quite a bit faster. however, all the racking horses i have met have been handfuls also, more of a scout or or maybe a handlers horse than a gallery horse.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu May 18, 2006 11:39 am

Most of what I have riden have been TWH, but when you don't own your own you will ride whatever a friend will let your ride of thiers or whatever the wrangler brings.

Beggers can't be choosers.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu May 18, 2006 12:24 pm

I have ridden a peruvian passo that was as smooth as silk. When I go horse shopping I will be keeping one on the short list.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu May 18, 2006 4:55 pm

i have seen a couple of pasos. am sure no expert in them. they do have a smooth gait, but my impression was it is pretty slow for field trialing. walker or MFT would be better.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Thu May 18, 2006 6:07 pm

As a judge just give me one that is NOT A BUTT HOLE. the last 3 tests I have judged I had knot heads for mounts. I can ride very well (lucky for me at the last test) So I don't mind a horse with some spirit Just don't give me a knot head. The last test this horse had 1 speed wide open. that horse wanted to be where ever the dogs where. So need less to say we did lots of circles.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Thu May 18, 2006 6:24 pm

I don't have one yet but I am hoping to get myself a gaited horse next year.
I have been biten by the trial bug and so far have been lucky to rent one from a wrangler or borrow a horse for my braces.
I just starting to look around now.

Mav....

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu May 18, 2006 7:02 pm

OK. I need to know what a Ky Mt Horse is... I grew up in Ky working with Saddlebreds, but never heard of that.??
brenda

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Thu May 18, 2006 7:14 pm

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu May 18, 2006 7:19 pm

Sounds like a Racking horse.
brenda

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Fri May 19, 2006 6:52 am

Well, the paso was not a scout horse, per se. It is a handler horse and it was quick enough to keep up. I've ridden TW, KMH and the paso. I would take any of the three, but the paso had the smoothest gait.

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Fri May 19, 2006 7:05 am

I don't do FTs but do Search & Rescue with horses we have 1/4 and 1/4/Arabian cross, & some paints. My dream would be a Rocky Mountain Horses. I just fell in love with them when I saw them at the horse expo in Minneapolis a few years ago.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri May 19, 2006 8:03 am

Would you all recommend a 17 year old MFT? Havent seen the horse but it is for sale. My Dad used to raise race horses, some that didnt cut it on the track went to hunter jumper people, he is gone now but my step mom has 2 or 3 1 year old colts left...

We also have a fine group that has tenn walkers, but I got out of horses when I sold our last 1/4 to our neighbor. Is a horse really nessesary for all types of tests? Could I do a jh, mh without a horse?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Wa Chukar Hunter

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Fri May 19, 2006 8:19 am

I've seen some 20+ yr olds at field trials and tests - would be worth looking into - my horse is 13 now

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Fri May 19, 2006 8:57 am

I used to do Search work with a 22 year old & know of one that is 30!! They don't have to go fast though, just all day. Depends on the terrain to

TAK

Post by TAK » Fri May 19, 2006 11:41 pm

markj wrote:Would you all recommend a 17 year old MFT? Havent seen the horse but it is for sale. My Dad used to raise race horses, some that didnt cut it on the track went to hunter jumper people, he is gone now but my step mom has 2 or 3 1 year old colts left...
17 years old is considered "OLDER" I have watched horses used up to 29 years old! If the price is right and the horse is sound, heck ya! Most times an Older horse is great to learn on, and great for kids. I have a 1/4 horse around that age ??? that I team penn on and win and my 7 year old rides the hair off of him. Just flat out bomb proof! When we have NSTRA trials and use horses for the judge I have each judge call and ask to use Browny!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat May 20, 2006 7:12 am

Hunt test are not done on horseback. They are all walking tests as far as I know. At least in this area.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Wa Chukar Hunter

Sure mostly

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat May 20, 2006 7:37 am

Horses are used in hunt tests - by the judges. I was speaking from first hand experience - I know several judges that use older horses to judge.

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat May 20, 2006 8:39 am

A Mcurdy Plantation Horse

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat May 20, 2006 9:09 am

That's NICE Gunner. BTW, we're in the same neighborhood and ought to get together sometime.

Best,

Wa Chukar Hunter

Thanks Gunnah

Post by Wa Chukar Hunter » Sat May 20, 2006 2:32 pm

I am going to be moving to Waco in the fall and will check them out - I will need another horse once I get there.[/img]

gunner

Post by gunner » Mon May 22, 2006 9:19 am

How 'bout a Missouri Gaited Mule...(including video from the riders seat)

http://www.missourimuleco.com/movies/mo ... e-0205.mov

gunner

Post by gunner » Mon May 22, 2006 9:25 am

Greg,
That would be great. I've sent you a pm.

Bill