Getting an Astro...should I wait?

Siskiyou Blues

Getting an Astro...should I wait?

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Well I am torn, I've been spending some time saving up to get a garmin GPS tracker for my dogs. Obviously I want an astro.
But here is my dilemma,
Get the time tested 220 or wait for the new 320? I mean, I've been waiting for a bit, so another month or two isn't the end of the world.
On the flip side, I am just a big boy who loves toys with no patience.
Also as a rule of thumb I try to stay away from the initial run of any new electronic. But the 320 is so slick and orange!
What would you do? get a 220 and a DC30, 220 with a DC40, or wait or the 320?
It's one of those dilemmas I love.

Sue

Re: Getting an Astro...should I wait?

Post by Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:15 pm

I'm with you on the tried and true, and not going for the new that still has bugs.... computers, cell phones, etc. give me one that's been out for a while and is known to function well!

I'm real happy with my 220, had it for a couple of years. Its a proven, tested system.

I have a pair of 30's and a pair of 40's and there are advantages and disadvantages of each. The 30's are more rugged and retain their gps signal better. The 40's are nicer the way they lock onto the charger base and they are also smaller and lighter, but they do lose the gps signal more often and the antenna is less protected.

PS. About the new orange on the 320... I tied some orange flagging to my 220 handset, and also use a "leash" on a 'beaner to clip to my jeans... double insurance not to lose it. ;)
Last edited by Sue on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:21 pm

oh you were supposed to say get the fanciest newest model possible, that way you won't regret it later ;) think about how cool my friends will think I am....
:lol:

But the realistic side part of me wants to get a 220 DC30 combo and save some money, have it now, and have something tried and true. It will do everything I need.

But I would be buying the 2007 model for not much THAT less then the 2011 model. oh god. :roll:

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah this is a tough decision for sure! There are good reasons to go either way, so my vote is just to follow your heart. I think you really want the newer version, so go for it! :D

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Sue wrote:Yeah this is a tough decision for sure! There are good reasons to go either way, so my vote is just to follow your heart. I think you really want the newer version, so go for it! :D
Hah thanks! That is what I am going to do. And while I am waiting for it to be released I'll keep my eyes open for any sweet deals. seems like the most reasonable way to do it :D

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Good plan. You only live once, and life is short! :)

Onk

Post by Onk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:35 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/sportdog-tek-review.html

Thought you might want to read this.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:42 pm

Saw that, but I personally like the garmin more. I already have a tt set up so don't need an e collar. The lack of anything more then the most absolute bare bones in dog tracking is a real turn off for me. I am glad to see someone else giving it a go though.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:34 pm

I have a 220 with DC30 collar, and love it. But I would buy the 320.
The 3 axis compass should be awesome, and the software and map upgrade (satellite overlay) are a good improvement.
Steve