I need pigeons

mister2

I need pigeons

Post by mister2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:43 am

I've been trying to trap my own wild pigeons using a pigeon trap I bought from Cabelas. I have been using cracked corn as bait spread in and around the trap. So far after 3 attempts in barns and a busy bridge infested with pigeons I have had no luck at all. Thought it would be easier than this. I was thinking maybe it would help if I had some live decoys in the trap to lure them in.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone on this forum is local to the Syracuse, NY area or know anyone here who would be willing to sell me a couple starter pigeons so I can use them as live bait. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

phoenix

Re: I need pigeons

Post by phoenix » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:22 am

So I have to ask, did you leave the trap open for the first few days with food AND water in it to let the birds get comfortable? Makes a huge difference. If you have already tried that, nevermind my ramblings! Good luck on your bird search!
fg

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:24 am

Lots of people use a live decoy. I get my birds at a small animal auction.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mister2

Post by mister2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 am

In the barn setup the trap door was left open for 1 day prior. I don't think it mattered because they didn't even touch the corn that was outside the cage. It's possible they didn't bother with it because there are farms nearby where they could most likely get feed. There was no water in either case. For the bridge I could not leave the trap because it was a public parking area and didn't want it to get stolen. Don't even know if it was legal actually. I sat there for a couple hours and waited.

larry

Post by larry » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 pm

You need to put your trap where the birds are feeding not roosting. You can get birds to start feeding in an area of your choise but it will take a while and you will have to put feed out daily. If you have access to a barn with pigeons roosting in it try catching them at night. We have very good luck doing this. You will need a ladder , flash light and net. Do not shine the ligh directly at the birds as they will spook and fly. Once you locate the roosting birds put your ladder up and go catch, we don't even need a net most of the time just grab by hand. This also works well under bridges.

larry

Post by larry » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:38 pm

Just remembered a way to trap that was told to me last year. Says it is not a joke he has done it a few times. Pop some pop-corn, choose your favorite whiskey, soak the po-corn in the whiskey and let dry. Dtinking the whiskey while making you pop-corn is optional. Go to the city park and start feeding the pigeons your spiked pop-corn. After several minutes pick up the pigeons and put in a crate.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:04 pm

love the popcorn idea, but don't understand how it would work as once the corn dried off the alchohol would evaporate??

as for your trap those birds probably don't even see the cracked corn down there, I'd nail a 4x4 half sheet of plywood as high up in the barn as you can get and put bait on there with water. Or toss a rope over the barn rafters and attach the plywood on each corner then raise it up near the rafters and tie it off.

Get them used to it being there then when you need pigeons lower the bobs on your trap. in any case you'd need to give it some time - like a week or more.

I tried bridge pilings too, but as it was public I felt it neccessary to hide the trap and that didn't work too well. I would love to set it in the middle of the RR bridge but there is a big sign saying to keep off.
Last edited by KFhunter on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:04 pm

larry wrote:Just remembered a way to trap that was told to me last year. Says it is not a joke he has done it a few times. Pop some pop-corn, choose your favorite whiskey, soak the po-corn in the whiskey and let dry. Dtinking the whiskey while making you pop-corn is optional. Go to the city park and start feeding the pigeons your spiked pop-corn. After several minutes pick up the pigeons and put in a crate.
AWESOME! :lol:

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:08 pm

larry wrote:Just remembered a way to trap that was told to me last year. Says it is not a joke he has done it a few times. Pop some pop-corn, choose your favorite whiskey, soak the po-corn in the whiskey and let dry. Dtinking the whiskey while making you pop-corn is optional. Go to the city park and start feeding the pigeons your spiked pop-corn. After several minutes pick up the pigeons and put in a crate.
I'm gonna try that next chance I get, Awesome Idea hahahaha

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 pm

gittrdonebritts wrote:
I'm gonna try that next chance I get, Awesome Idea hahahaha

I'm not going to use my favorite wiskey, sorry piggies - your getting the old crap thats been sitting ahwile :mrgreen:

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:01 pm

There are a lot of gamebird growers here in NY.
Try this website as they list gamebird breeders in all states. Might be one in your neighborhood.
You could buy some quail for training.
http://www.mynaga.org/

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:50 am

Just go to Philly, trap some city pigeons!

I like the drunk popcorn idea... too funny.
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

larry

Post by larry » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 am

[quote="KFhunter"]love the popcorn idea, but don't understand how it would work as once the corn dried off the alchohol would evaporate??

Maybe I got the recipe wrong, use the pop-corn wet. Guy that told me this said he was doing it in a city park that had a pond with mallards in it. The ducks liked the pop-corn also and he got a few for duck search training. (Just don't let the game warden catch you!)

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 am

Maybe I got the recipe wrong, use the pop-corn wet. Guy that told me this said he was doing it in a city park that had a pond with mallards in it. The ducks liked the pop-corn also and he got a few for duck search training. (Just don't let the game warden catch you!)
I have a bottle of BirdDog Whiskey on the shelf, now it will fianlly get used.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:59 am

i luv this popcorn trick:) sum things are just so simply

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:30 pm

I know a guy who caught twenty drunk geese after he soaked a five gallon bucket of corn with everclear. This guy was an outlaw, even shot a heck's angle with a 30.06 right in the rear after he had been in a fight at the bar with them. Called the sheriff and told him to come help, he was being harassed by the hells angles and had already been forced to defend himself. He didn't even get in trouble as the small town he was in hated the biker guys to begin with. I hadn't thought about that for pigeons, so I guess you have to let em go sleep it off before you use em on the dogs? hehe

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:55 pm

I used to go under bridges with a long handled fish net and catch em on the roost after dark. Sqaub sold for 2.00 ea :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

larry

Post by larry » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:38 pm

Never thought about eating them but they would allready be marinated!