COMPANION DOG VS KENNEL DOG

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

COMPANION DOG VS KENNEL DOG

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:15 am

a couple of things got me thinking about this..as of now we have our dogs in the home, when we move next year we will have completed our kennel...our dogs spend ALOT of time with us whether it be going to the beach, park, dogpark, for coffee, store, visit relatives/friends, petsmart, well you get the idea...this is above and beyond the time we spend training in the field, yard or water..at this time i have only 2 dogs, only 1 is a hunting dog but i do spend just as much time with my other dog if not more because although he doesnt hunt (boxer) he is my buddy and follows me to the point i trip over him :wink: when i have rescue dogs its the same thing we take them with us and train often in order to rehome them since most of them come to me hyper, disruptive, sick, with little to no training/obedience..i spend alot of time with all the dogs to build trust and a relationship in order to make training more effective and easier for me to read the dogs by getting to know them each individually..ANYWAY my question comes from a few folks i know that really dont do much in the lines of "bonding" or building a relationship with their dog, they mainly hunt and train the pup or dog and kennel them due to the amount of dogs they have it seems..because i have only 6 dogs at the most at times im rescuing i am able to devote ALOT of time to each dog as its needed..we went to a preserve yesterday to discuss with the owner training on his grounds and about getting some chukar from him in the future and he has 15 dogs and LOTS of birds and we got to talking about training ect..he said jersey was really doing good in her training but its mainly because of the time put into her and if i had 15 dogs like he did it would be practically impossible..let me start by saying I AGREE that because jersey is my only hunting dog ALOT of time goes into her training BUT do you think its because of the time spent WHEN NOT TRAINING that helps with her training if that makes any sense..do any of you think that if your dog is a companion in your home it is a better hunting companion, would do better in test and trials?? i am new to tests and never even seen a trial but i wanted to ask those of you MUCH MORE experienced and who have seen alot more birddogs than i have to give some insight on how a dogs attitude, performance, behaviour, balance and confidence is effected or influenced by being in a kennel or being in the home..sorry for the long post but i want to really get some input since when i move i plan to begin a kennel and not have my dogs in the house as much and will not have as much time for one on one but i want to maintain balance for all of them...thanks so much for any input/opinions....ruth :D
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

settergal83

Re: COMPANION DOG VS KENNEL DOG

Post by settergal83 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:40 am

Ruth, I'm not what i would consider "experienced" but I feel I can give you some input here.

I have 5 dogs, 4 of which are Llewellin Setters. 2 are outside in a kennel and 2 are in the house. Now, from what I have done with them:

1 is a 6 yr old female that I received as a trade for doing work at a kennel. She was orphaned early in her life and so was like having a child, up every few hours for feeding and going outside. She even went to class w/ me (I was in college at the time). I have trialed her 3-5 times and to be honest the judges stated how mannerly she was in the field and while she was not the most "correct" (tail set was just not quite 100%) she did have the most finds and holds in her class. She ran beautifully and covered as much ground as any other dog there.

1 is a 2 yr old male out of the female mentioned above. He is much larger and a little more of a handful than his mother. He too excels in the field, Long sweeping strides, good range, well balanced and good conformation (better tail than his "bleep"). He was taken to a trial and placed 2nd in his class right behind his sister. But again the judge complemented on his manners and for as young as he was at the time his ability to hold a point.

2 are 2yr old females. These 2 are out in a kennel and only brought up to the house in the worst of weather (generally if there is a tornado warning and in the winter we bring them up on the porch and box kennel them over night). These 2 are getting the same range but to be honest not nearly as personable. They don't care if it is me handling them or my fiance (the other 2 will not listen to ANYONE else but me). They don't care who feeds and waters them so long as they get it and to be quite honest their training was not nearly as easy as the above mentioned.

So to better answer your question, I feel that a dog kept outside in a kennel will probably take more time or effort than a dog kept with the family.

I should also note. I do not use a "modern" type of training in my dogs. I do not use an e-collar. I find that a lot of the time it is over used and in some instances abused. I am fortunate enough to have 112 acres that i can run my dogs on 10 of which is fenced in. So i will start a dog in the fenced area and then progress them to the open areas. And to be honest, I find that my dogs do perform at about the same rate..just longer in the kennel dogs as to the house dogs. But their range, pace, sense of point/hold and so on is basically the same.

Hope that answered some of your questions at least from my point of view.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:06 am

I think the answer to your question is the amount of time you are actively engaged with the dog. They will do just as well housed in a kennel or your home. But the ones in the home are getting more attention than the ones in the kennel. Because of that they tend to bond closer with you. This can be good or bad depending on what you are doing with your dogs. But if you personally are going to do all the work with your dog then the house dog has the advantage but if you are sending the dog for training or handling then the kennel dog may adapt to that faster. I think the secret is to let each have some house time and kennel time too. There is no reason a kenneled dog can not be as much of a companion as your house dog if you make it happen.

What the fellow was trying to tell you is he can't spend as much time raining each of 15 or 20 dogs daily as you do with one. Plus they aren't going to start as early and try to finish as early since there is a feeling that the dogs that are finished later retain it better. Doing things early makes the owner feel good but doing it later makes the dog feel good.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:29 am

You stole my thread Ruth, you're too quick to keep up with. I was going to post asking if most people view their dogs as tools first or companions first. My are companions first and I really do beleive it helps with training and eventually hunting.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:39 am

Redfishkilla wrote:You stole my thread Ruth, you're too quick to keep up with. I was going to post asking if most people view their dogs as tools first or companions first. My are companions first and I really do beleive it helps with training and eventually hunting.
2 great minds think alike :mrgreen: ....ruth

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:33 am

Great post and very interesting replies.

My experience is limited, as I only have ever had house dogs. The only thing I can add to the discussion is that I notice both my current dogs are very bonded to me and and my husband. Therefore we have no trouble with them "running away", as I hear some hunting dogs are prone to do. They both want to check in regularly while we are out with them.

Our female, Tessa, is better about keeping tabs on us, so she is rarely out of sight. Our male is apt to get himself involved in something interesting and get concentrating on it for a few minutes. But when he "comes up for air" he looks for us, and if he cannot locate us right away he can go a bit panicky and run back down the trail (we see him on the garmin) and if he really feels "lost" (has happened half a dozen times) will even let out a "puppy howl", sort of a call to us, and we'll call back then he finds us. Its pretty funny, although somewhat pathetic in the sense of his anxiety, poor dog. He's very emotional.

I hear a lot about kenneled dogs running off when they get loose, either accidentally or when first let out to hunt. Maybe that is a lack of bonding, and/or maybe its because they are not getting their need to run satisfied regularly enough so they are all pent up and just go crazy to run.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:38 am

right now my dog is at a pro's for the summer, but when she was at home she would spend time in the kennel and in the house. when i went to work she'd stay in the kennel (sometimes she would come to work with me) and when i'd get home we'd train. i'd let her in after dinner to hangout on the couch with me. then put her back in the kennel for the night. she had no problem going from house to kennel. she wouldn't bark or whine. she was content where ever she was. in the field she'll handle for anyone, as long as it means she gets to do what she loves, run and hunt birds.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:38 am

Like you Ruth I had a lot of time and energy into my puppy, at four months old I had a pro go up to me and tell me "i have been looking for that dog for fourty years."
She was standing her birds and steady through the shot. But more important she would hunt 109 mph as she was jumping over the grass which was taller then she was and stick a bird on point.

Now as far ss the "pro" you talked to... in my opinion he is full of crap. He also has a choice with that many dogs to spend time bonding with every one of them. He can road them, walk them and teach them basic commands, take them on a car ride, to the store, etc. He is not limited because that's his job. Also you can jot make a great dog out of a dog that does not have it in the first place.

I have had my dog in and out of kennel for her entire life. One experience she had with a pro would have probably ruined a lot of other dogs. When I would pick her up on the weekend she would run straight to my truck and not want to hang out around the yard. ( I found out why later). Now after I found a true PRO she is very happy to be around him and on her tie out. She wants to learn and when she is done with her lesson she is happy to go to her spot under a tree and hang out.

Where she excels is at home sleeping with me on the couch ( after dark she is out like a light). Just like brad27's girl she will handle for anyone and does not care who or what you do she will find birds and give you 100% .

In short let your trainer know his lack of ambition is more of a reason why he does not bond with his dog as much As you.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 am

The first GSP I ever owned probably was as close as companion dog you could own but.I bought her in 1974,she was 8 mos old I brought her home & she stayed in the house the first 4 mos I owned her though she had been kept outside by the breeder.She was so sweet I named her Sugar but she became especialy attached to me.I did put her outside after those 4 mos & once she got used to it when I would bring her in the house in a few minutes she would be scratching at the door to go back out.
Sugar worshipped the ground I walked on, I could tell you so many stories to prove it for example,when I stopped to take a break she would come back to me scratch a spot in front of me make a bed curl up & lay there till I was ready to move on.If another dog or hunter approached she would give a warning growl not to get too close,she would jump another dog if they didn't heed her warning so I learned to put a leash on her just in case.I never did see her bite another person but did see her snap at a women once when she had pups.
I can remember 2 times seeing her get up from her resting spot after our breeak go a short distance & go on point just like she knew the bird was there the whole time we were on break.Though she would rather be outside she did not like being kenneled & was an escape artist,in the end the only way I could keep her in a kennel was to put a stake in the middle,leave the chain just long enough to reach the side so she could
not hang herself.I tried everything else & that was the only way,even then if she saw me leave with a gun to go rabbit hunting once in a while with out her she would start lunging & pulling untill clasp,chain,something would give way & she would find me.
Sugar was small maybe even below the standard height wise but she was the toughest GSP I ever owned,she was afraid of nothing & you could have hit her in the head with a 2X4 & it would not have phased her.
We had a couple Dobes at the time that we showed,they were house dogs, before I finally staked Sugar in her kennel she had a habit escaping not only from her kennel but the yard aswell.Sugar would scavenge the neighborhood for scraps bring them home & bury them in the back yard & she protected it.She would jump both Dobes at the same time if they got near it & they learned to stick there head out to see if she was loose before going out the door.
I could tell you so many more stories about Sugar but she is the dog that made me fall in love with the breed though today I would not want another one with her attitude.
I guess the point is, a dog don't have to be a house dog in order to be a companion,that dog would have died for me & I cried like a baby when I had to put her to sleep at about 12yrs of age. :cry:

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:52 am

In the end of your post you focus on trials and testing. My experience is with walking, horseback trials, BDC type events, AKC Hunt Tests but mostly hunting dogs. I have not had the opportunity to observe NAVHDA testing. In my opinion the subjectiveness of what an individual expects from a dog, and the diversity of the venues makes your question tough to answer. It is my belief that any well bred dog given the proper time and training can be an AKC master hunter. If the dog has genetics and discipline you can reach a standard. It isn't hard; it is far more difficult to have and keep a wild bird dog steady to wing shot and fall with a trained retrieve.

When you enter the realm of judged events you have a standard to meet and then the subjectiveness of style. It is important because it is largely thought to be the measure of the x factor in the dog, all things being equal (training per se) what makes this dog that much better than that one. Some of it will be genetics, and some of it in my opinion is how much dog is left in it? In a hunting dog we often see the same thing, I hope Sue doesn't mind but read her example of her two dogs...
Our female, Tessa, is better about keeping tabs on us, so she is rarely out of sight. Our male is apt to get himself involved in something interesting and get concentrating on it for a few minutes. But when he "comes up for air" he looks for us, and if he cannot locate us right away he can go a bit panicky and run back down the trail (we see him on the garmin) and if he really feels "lost" (has happened half a dozen times) will even let out a "puppy howl", sort of a call to us, and we'll call back then he finds us. Its pretty funny, although somewhat pathetic in the sense of his anxiety, poor dog. He's very emotional.
These dogs are clearly close to thir owners and dependent on them, it will show in their performance in the field. It won't matter at the preserve or in tight quarters, and many, many folks want their dog in sight, simply point the bird long enough to get it shot, then retrieve it and the rest is irrelevant. In my opinion this is a beautiful thing and no one has the right to decide if thats right or wrong for an individual, but it will not cut it in competition.

This is a quote from Ezzy ...
Plus they aren't going to start as early and try to finish as early since there is a feeling that the dogs that are finished later retain it better. Doing things early makes the owner feel good but doing it later makes the dog feel good.
Professionally trained dogs finish out later and it isn't always from lack of training, all training takes pressure whether we recognize it as such or not. In the end that will show up in a dog. They will be better in the house, they will behave better at Starbucks, they will make us feel better by staying in sight on the hunt, but they will be dependent. I want a performane dog to be independent and disciplined when maturation dictates it. I do not want a pointing dog that is compelled to return to my feet, or to look for direction. I want the to confidently seek objectives on their own, that is their oart of the job. This dog can live in the house or in the kennel, it can ride in the front of the truck, it can lay around the yard all day long, but for lack of a better way of saying it...it has been allowed to find itself. We didn't make it a little person from day one we let it be a hunting dog.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:53 am

The best hunting dog we ever had never saw the inside of any house except for a dog house! I think the main thing is, it depends on the dog!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:02 am

Well said Chukar.....especially that last paragraph.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:10 am

I think it depends on the dog AND it depends on the environment in the house.

We have 4 dogs, so we need to be pretty strict with them. They don't get to sleep on the bed at night, they're not allowed to lounge on the couch. The living room and dining rooms are off limits. They're not allowed upstairs where the bedrooms are. We don't feed from the table, the dogs aren't even allowed in the kitchen when we eat. They spend lots of time with us when we're home, but at night they go in their crates to sleep. When we're not home, they do NOT have full run of the house. A room in the basement has been set up with crates and a dog door into a dog yard.

Because we have a very set routine and rules the dogs understand, they seem to make the transition between kennel dog and house dog nearly seamlessly.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:18 am

I think it depends on the dog AND it depends on the environment in the house.

We have 4 dogs, so we need to be pretty strict with them. They don't get to sleep on the bed at night, they're not allowed to lounge on the couch. The living room and dining rooms are off limits. They're not allowed upstairs where the bedrooms are. We don't feed from the table, the dogs aren't even allowed in the kitchen when we eat. They spend lots of time with us when we're home, but at night they go in their crates to sleep. When we're not home, they do NOT have full run of the house. A room in the basement has been set up with crates and a dog door into a dog yard.

Because we have a very set routine and rules the dogs understand, they seem to make the transition between kennel dog and house dog nearly seamlessly.
+1 those thoughts are captured very well

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:44 am

Now after I found a true PRO she is very happy to be around him and on her tie out.
one time ultracarry and i were waiting in a parking lot for this pro so we could send our dogs with him. ultracarry's dog was hanging out in the back seat all calm and mellow. as soon as the pro drove up and started walking toward the cars she got all excited and wouldn't sit still.

i think kimber likes warren more then you. :P :lol:

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:51 am

Chukar, I am not at all offended! My dogs are not for competition, just personal companions and hunters and I am well aware of their short comings. For our lifestyle, their "dependency" is actually just fine in terms of how they live. I can let them out the back door, no fence, and they stay around the house. That counts a lot for us.

And I really learned something from your post, particularly the last paragraph. Thank you!

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 am

Sue they are only shortcomings if its not what you want, the same as a 1000 yard dog hanging on the edge if it isn't what you want....I know that is what you are saying but I was feeling really skittish quoting you in that context they sound like great dogs. Thanks for the comment back I feel better

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:04 am

brad27 wrote:
Now after I found a true PRO she is very happy to be around him and on her tie out.

i think kimber likes warren more then you. :P :lol:
That's soo not true. Who gives her skittles, popsicles, let's her sleep on the couch, gives her a bath, and pays over $2.00 per pound of food? That's what I thought.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:27 pm

Chukar12 wrote:Sue they are only shortcomings if its not what you want, the same as a 1000 yard dog hanging on the edge if it isn't what you want....I know that is what you are saying but I was feeling really skittish quoting you in that context they sound like great dogs. Thanks for the comment back I feel better
Absolutely no worries! Yes, I like them the way they are, and they are certainly not trial dogs!
Thanks. ;)

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:48 pm

thanks for the great insight, i want to make sure i give enough time to each dog especially since they wont be right in my face when they arent in the house..by having the dogs right at my feet so to speak it seems they learn so many things by being a part of our family in the house..how do you all manage to divide time effectively with more than 1 birddog that you are training?? do you mostly train 1 and wait to get another when that dog is where you want it to be??..i plan on having 8 to 10 dogs eventually, do any of you have a "number" that seems to be a realistic number of dogs to train properly with balance between hunting dog and companion??...have any of you learned over the years "less is best" OR "many is manageable"??..thanks...ruth :D

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:57 pm

My dogs accompany me to trials, training sessions, and fields to hunt. I have a wife that is a wonderful companion and she doesnt slobber! :wink: I grew up with "companion" dogs. They were integral parts of the family life, as already stated it depends on the dog concerning what best suits them. ALL of my dogs are kennel dogs except my old retired setter that is allowed to run the farm all day, but he sleeps in my business office at night.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:59 pm

I don't train my own (they go to a trainer, then we compete with them ourselves) but for us, I've found 2 yrs between dogs seems to work the best. My husband and I both handle so Blaze, who just turned 7, is John's dog now. Chloe is mine (she's 4 1/2). We're breeding a litter this summer and keeping a boy out of that litter for my husband....by the time the pup is broke, Blaze will be about ready for retirement. Then I'll get another puppy in 2 yrs or so....that way I'll have one to bring along as Chloe nears retirement.

With entry fees on the rise, we can't really afford to campaign more than 2 dogs at a time, so that works well for us.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

jeffseele

Post by jeffseele » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:38 am

nice thread. :roll: