Speaking of pointers

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Speaking of pointers

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 pm

I like to check out old books and I came across this in one of my searches ..I found it pretty interesting I Bold and changed the color in the very interesting part of this quoted text as this book was written in 1833 in the U.K.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3zg9AA ... 99&f=false
The English Pointer (Canis Avicularis, variety J3.) — This dog is sprung from the Spanish pointer, but is of a much lighter form, and much more rapid in his movements. He was obtained originally by a eross of the latter and the fox-hound, and has since been reerossed with the harrier. The English pointer is of a great variety of sizes, being in this particular bred according to the taste of the sportsman.

This dog possesses a beautiful symmetry of frame, and in this respect is, perhaps, the most elegant of all the canine tribe. His docility and pliability of temper, too, are truly astonishing, and he enjoys, at the same time, the sense of smelling in an exquisite degree.

About sixty years ago, the breed of pointers was nearly white, or mostly variegated with liver-coloured spots, except the celebrated dogs of the then Duke of Kingston, whose black pointers were considered superior to all others in the kingdom, and sold for immense sums after his death. Since that time they have been bred of all sizes and colours, and have at length attained that degree of perfection for which they are now so justly prized all over Europe.

Dogs of the middle size are now generally considered the best by experienced sportsmen; the larger kinds, like the Spanish pointer, are too heavy, and soon tire in warm weather, although they are best adapted for hunting in the high turnips, heath, and broomfields.

In proportion as the breed of pointers diverges in blood from their Spanish original, the difficulty of training them, and rendering them staunch for the field, inereases, as they seem to lose a quality inherent in the latter dog.

Pointers are never considered complete in training, unless they are perfectly staunch to bird, dog, and gun, which implies, first, standing singly to a bird or covey; secondly, to backing or pointing the moment he pereeives another dog to stand at game; and, thirdly, not to stir from his own point at the rising of any bird, or the firing of any gun in the field, provided the game is neither sprung nor started at which he himself originally pointed.

The pointer possesses a degree of mildness and pliability of disposition most admirably adapted for receiving instruction, and his mental faculties are extremely acute. He is most susceptible of impressions; serene in his general habits, and unwearied in his attachments. With all these good points, he is well qualified to secure the esteem and con

fidence of man, whom he is always solicitous to please, and obedient to all that is inculeated upon him. Whenever he is conscious of his own powers and education, he makes it his whole business to serve and amuse his master. At the same time, ho will also perform his work to others to whom he may be lent, and is sensible of the duty required of him the moment he enters the field.

Pointers are seldom used in any other kind of shootng than that of grouse, partridge, and snipe; in the two last of which sports their merits are the more conspicuous.

Mr. Daniel informs us, that he once had a pointer that would always go round close to the hedges of a field before he would quarter his ground; the dog being sensible that he most frequently found his game in the course of this cireuit, and therefore very naturally took the middle road to discover it.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kall It Action

Re: Speaking of pointers

Post by Kall It Action » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:27 am

Great post! I found it interesting that the "prestigious dogs" were the black and white pointers but it doesn't surprise me. I have pointers of all colors, orange, liver, black, and all white. Although, I find the black and white pointers to look more flashy in the field, they all do the the same job just as well as the other. So, IMO, you really "can't run a dog based on color!"
~Chari~
"You can't run a dog based on color."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the Stars."
"Do one thing everyday that scares you. It lets you know you're alive."

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:41 am

Perhaps the black pointer here is talking about the Arkwright. They were solid black.

Kall It Action

Post by Kall It Action » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:45 am

Can't say I've ever seen one of those but I'm sure they would be a sight to see.
~Chari~
"You can't run a dog based on color."
"Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the Stars."
"Do one thing everyday that scares you. It lets you know you're alive."

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:51 am

kninebirddog wrote:I like to check out old books and I came across this in one of my searches ..I found it pretty interesting I Bold and changed the color in the very interesting part of this quoted text as this book was written in 1833 in the U.K.

http://books.google.com/books?id=3zg9AA ... 99&f=false
Mr. Daniel informs us, that he once had a pointer that would always go round close to the hedges of a field before he would quarter his ground; the dog being sensible that he most frequently found his game in the course of this cireuit, and therefore very naturally took the middle road to discover it.
You didn't bold this one.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:01 am

Greg Jennings wrote:Perhaps the black pointer here is talking about the Arkwright. They were solid black.
I think there is a slight time disconnect there. This reference is to the dogs of Evelyn Pierrepont, Duke of Kingston, who died in 1773 and Arkwright ran his kennel in the late 1800's.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Kall It Action wrote:Great post! I found it interesting that the "prestigious dogs" were the black and white pointers but it doesn't surprise me. I have pointers of all colors, orange, liver, black, and all white. Although, I find the black and white pointers to look more flashy in the field, they all do the the same job just as well as the other. So, IMO, you really "can't run a dog based on color!"
The black pointers refered to were basically all black and not black and white from what I have read years ago.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:45 pm

As far as I can tell, the term "Arkwright Pointer" was only used by the Germans to make crossing black and white English Pointers into GSP lines more politically acceptable. There was no such breed as an Arkwright Pointer. William Arkwright, who by the way literally wrote the book on the breed, did indeed breed, raise and train black and white Pointers. But he called them Pointers and they were from England ie: English Pointers. He did not call them Arkwright Pointers. But it was very tough for the Germans to actually come out and say they were using them in their lines. So they coined the term "Arkwright Pointer" to make it more palatable.

Breed names change sometimes due to political conditions. German Shepherds became "Alsatians" in the UK around the time of WW1 due to anti-German feelings*. In fact, even the name of food can change: Hamburgers were renamed "Liberty Sandwiches" in the US around the time of the first world war, just like French Fries suddenly became "Freedom Fries" a few years back. Names and words can and do change with time and culture. Anyone here old enough to remember when "gay" meant "happy"?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:00 pm

The Prussian Pointer is all black. Did you notice the comment about the miniature pointers LOL

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:26 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:The Prussian Pointer is all black. Did you notice the comment about the miniature pointers LOL
I dont see that reference, could you point it out for us?

Edit- I found it, quite a generalization to say they can't do much work i think. Those measurements are tiny but I have one only slightly larger and can assure she can do some work :lol:

Her head from back of skull to tip of nose is only slightly longer than my open hand.

Being forced with a Phez , gives some perspective on size.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Shes small, looks great though