Nitro Kennels and Superior Pointers

madmurph

Nitro Kennels and Superior Pointers

Post by madmurph » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:40 pm

Does anybody have experience with pointers from Nitro Kennels in Missouri or Superior Pointers in Wisconsin? Although I will always have vizslas in my pack, my next dog will be a pointer and I am interested in these two kennels. My question is regarding dogs from these two kennels specifically. I'm not interested in your favorite breeding or other breeders, we can save that for the next post.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

ElhewPointer

Re: Nitro Kennels and Superior Pointers

Post by ElhewPointer » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Yes. What are you wanting to know.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:47 pm

I owned a direct son of Elhew Jefferson that came from Nitro Kennel. He was a good quail dog that I traded to Deep Red Kennel in Lawton for the male I have now. Jodie at Deep Red Kennel absolutely adores that dog and while he does not trial him he has been breeding the heck out of him. He is going to retire that dog from breeding next year and the dog is going to live out his life with Jodie as a hunting dog and family dog. The dog was about a 200 yard dog with plenty of style on point. I was looking for a bigger running dog because of where I live, the size of the areas I hunt and the type of birds I hunt. He was a good dog though and a nice family dog that was patient with my kids.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 pm

I was interested in breedings from these kennels. I hunt grouse here in Wisconsin and the DNR released pheasants as well as game farm birds. I also run AKC hunt tests and an occasional tournament hunt. My youngest vizsla is almost finished with his Master Hunter title and I would like to do the NSTRA game next.

Although I do not want a boot polisher, I by no means want an all age type dog that will be hunting the next county. Something inbetween will be just fine. I just wanted to hear from owners who purchased dogs from these kennels and what their experiences have been, either positive or negative with both the dogs and the breeders.

I should add that I keep all of my dogs in the house and since getting a late start on family life, I have two young children at home.
Last edited by madmurph on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Wisc. DNR released birds? Were they trapped wild pheasants or pen raised birds?

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:23 pm

nikegundog wrote:Wisc. DNR released birds? Were they trapped wild pheasants or pen raised birds?
Kansas is doing the same thing now. Its no longer KDWP... Its now KDWPT (KS Dept Of Wildlife & Tourism) :roll:
They are releasing pen raised birds to try to keep ahead in the hunting destination/tourism aspect. They want all those out of state hunters and their money. Some folks really get a charge out of bangin a PR bird... :|

Nothing like sacrificing the legacy and tradition of wild bird hunting for money.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Thanks, I didn't want to derail a thread, but the MN DNR have been 100% opposed to releasing birds, and I was surprised that a neighboring state would be doing it. Looks like MN will start doing another multimillion dollar study.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Nike, they're pen raised birds. A few years back they actually changed the breeding in an attempt to have more of a "wild" strain. With all of the budget cuts over the last couple years, they are releasing fewer and fewer birds however. Actual wild pheasants in Wisconsin are a rare commodity, so we must take advantage of what's provided. I get much more enjoyment out of getting the dogs out and watching them work than killing birds however. That is the fun of it for me. If I want to shoot pheasants, I can go to a game farm. There are also some sportsmens clubs that release birds for the public as well.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks, sorry for getting off topic, good luck with your puppy search.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:57 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:
nikegundog wrote:Wisc. DNR released birds? Were they trapped wild pheasants or pen raised birds?

Nothing like sacrificing the legacy and tradition of wild bird hunting for money.
Would you rather out of state hunters just come out and massacre all your wild birds???? At least they are making some type of effort to keep the upland bird hunting legacy going.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:02 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:Some folks really get a charge out of bangin a PR bird...
Me and birddogger wild birdhunted Ks last season for about a week and when we got back we hunted released pheasants here in IL and to be honest.....no difference. I will add that they were acually released and not planted. BTW, South Dakota has been doing it for years.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:46 am

Ron R wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:Some folks really get a charge out of bangin a PR bird...
Me and birddogger wild birdhunted Ks last season for about a week and when we got back we hunted released pheasants here in IL and to be honest.....no difference. I will add that they were acually released and not planted. BTW, South Dakota has been doing it for years.
Ron;

That's the first I've heard that the state is releasing birds here. Private preserves here release birds, but to my knowledge the state doesn't. We're fortunate to have plenty of wild birds left.

Sorry for the hijack, Murph......

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am

I think either kennel should be able to provide you with a nice grouse dog. I have seen a few from Nitro up here in the PNW. They run NSTRA trials and do pretty well. Superior is close enough I would suspect you can go take a look at some pups first hand.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:23 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:

Would you rather out of state hunters just come out and massacre all your wild birds???? At least they are making some type of effort to keep the upland bird hunting legacy going.
I would rather them not come at all. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:

I bet your Game commission feels differently. In SD for example Non residents make up 60 percent of their game commissions revenues from hunters. Try managing an effective game commission on 50+ percent less money in an economic climate that is reducing Game Commission budgets.

In reality you should thank NR's :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:51 pm

I have no problem with NR hunters, but the new Sec of KDWPT is REALLY going to change things here in Kansas. He is All ABOUT commercializing the hunting potential to be had in Kansas. I have met the man several times throughout the years and he would really like for Kansas a destination like N and S Dakota. That is a BIG and drastic change to the way of life around these parts. The economic boom will be wonderful, although the ramifications if not done properly could ruin the states wild bird hunting status. I hope the state does this with an open, well informed mind and doesnt flippantly venture into something that they really dont need to be in. But who am I fooling, this is government, they will DEFINITELY screw the pooch for the sake of dollars until the pooch is dead!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:12 pm

Do you all have like a Kansas sportsman or birdhunters association?

We now have a Maryland Waterfowlers association and it has helped alot in getting our collective voices heard.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:15 pm

Not that I know of, doesnt sound like a bad plan. Sounds like something I should get started on, like I dont have enough to do! lol
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:20 pm

birddog1968 wrote: I bet your Game commission feels differently. In SD for example Non residents make up 60 percent of their game commissions revenues from hunters. Try managing an effective game commission on 50+ percent less money in an economic climate that is reducing Game Commission budgets.

In reality you should thank NR's :lol:
Did you ever think that perhaps with 60% less hunters and hunting pressure that the Game Commission could effectively manage on 50% + less money? Depends on if you live in a state where there are wild birds as to how you look at things. I am inclined to agree with Jess.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:27 pm

starting a new thread, don't want to continue hijack.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:08 pm

I bet your Game commission feels differently. In SD for example Non residents make up 60 percent of their game commissions revenues from hunters. Try managing an effective game commission on 50+ percent less money in an economic climate that is reducing Game Commission budgets.

In reality you should thank NR's :lol:[/quote]

I mean that kiddingly.. (only a little bit though) :lol: - I want all the birds to myself. Is that selfish? I don't really affect me one way or the other.. I rarely hunt WIHA or KDWPT public lands. I do however, have my strong opinions on the release of PR birds, but its just that... My opinion.. Everyone is entitled to theirs, and I apprecitate that.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:13 pm

topher40 wrote:I have no problem with NR hunters, but the new Sec of KDWPT is REALLY going to change things here in Kansas. He is All ABOUT commercializing the hunting potential to be had in Kansas. I have met the man several times throughout the years and he would really like for Kansas a destination like N and S Dakota. That is a BIG and drastic change to the way of life around these parts. The economic boom will be wonderful, although the ramifications if not done properly could ruin the states wild bird hunting status. I hope the state does this with an open, well informed mind and doesnt flippantly venture into something that they really dont need to be in. But who am I fooling, this is government, they will DEFINITELY screw the pooch for the sake of dollars until the pooch is dead!
Very well said Chris. That is exactly what I meant. I just didn't put it together and deliver it like you did. A friend of mine and former usher at church with me (we spent alot of time talking dogs and hunting and such, ushering together) is the Public Lands Manager for Cheney Wildlife area.. He was telling me what was "Coming down the pike" and what he told me has me worried a bit. Its either gona be a homerun, or a foul ball to the stands and its gona hurt something. :|
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

muckalee

Post by muckalee » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:27 pm

May be a very old post....... But if anyone wants a definition of a high jacked post....this is it.