Dog Name - American Kennel Club

media310

Dog Name - American Kennel Club

Post by media310 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Had a question in regards to what to put for the dog name on the American Kennel Club dog registration application? Her name is Char so is that all I put or do I put her parents info to? My last name? Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Brittguy

Re: Dog Name - American Kennel Club

Post by Brittguy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm

You can put just Char. The kennel club will add whatever number necessary behind the name to differentiate from other dogs that have been named Char.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:38 pm

Is your question pertaining to the Registered Name?

I'm not up on AKC reg's, but the American Field or FDSB registry you can name your dog whatever you choose up to 3 words -27 letters I believe. Although, some breeders have their own "Prefix" and you must have permission in writing on the breeders kennel letterhead to do so.

The "Registered Name" and "Call name (char)" are entirely different, usually. For Example: One of my female pointers is registered "Ninnescah Prairie Princess" but her call name (or everyday name) is "Jenny"

Hope this helps. Maybe someone with more AKC experience can provide a better explanation.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:02 pm

You can name her whatever you want except you cannot use someone else's registeted prefix.

Call names may or may not be part of the registered name. My Jill is registered as Jill Valentine, but her sister Sherry is Moscatel Jerez, which is a type of sherry wine.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:17 pm

You have like 24-25 characters you can use when naming your dog's "pedigree" name. My male Duece, his pedigree name is Uodibar's Next Generation. Next Generation German Shorthairs is my kennel name. Also my new female is NG's Sin City RusDeeClown, or her call name is Dee. You can name em' anything you want. Good Luck