microchip procedure?

TOOTALL

microchip procedure?

Post by TOOTALL » Fri May 12, 2006 7:43 pm

Is it necessary to have the dog put to sleep for this procedure? I wanted to have it done while she was under to be spayed, but I forgot to call and order a chip ahead of time.

gundogguru

Post by gundogguru » Fri May 12, 2006 7:53 pm

No they don't have to put the dog under. They just insert a large needle under the skin on the back of the beck between the shoulder blades my dog didn't even know it was happening' It looks worse than it is.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Fri May 12, 2006 8:20 pm

It's just like getting a regular shot, just with a slightly bigger needle.

Mntngoat

Post by Mntngoat » Sat May 13, 2006 8:00 am

It's a 12 ga. needle about 1/8" diameter,wish my vet would have let me watch, but they don't.

Michael

pear

Post by pear » Sat May 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Only takes a couple minutes total and worth every dime they charge!!! Which seems to vary some but , I've never heard of any charges being unreasonable I think I paid $35.00 to $40.00 total including registering the number. Use it once and you'll never argue cost!! ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

Kurzhaar

Post by Kurzhaar » Sat May 13, 2006 7:19 pm

Mntngoat wrote:It's a 12 ga. needle about 1/8" diameter,wish my vet would have let me watch, but they don't.

Michael
I just don't understand the mentality of some of the Vets out there!!! I am extremly lucky to have a vet that lets us participate in the care of our dogs. Heck, we even hold the puppies when he docks the tails.

Jim

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast » Mon May 29, 2006 7:22 pm

At what age is this generally done?

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon May 29, 2006 7:47 pm

Any age. A lot of breeders will have the dog chipped beofre you get it. The predominant chip is AKC's Home Again. Be careful with anything other than that one and Avid. Last I knew, there wasn't a universal reader.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon May 29, 2006 9:52 pm

I'd suggest Home Again as well. My trainer found a dog with an Avid chip and it took three days to find out who the owner was after the chip was scanned. On a Home Again dog that could be done in a matter of hours.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

EastBeast

Post by EastBeast » Tue May 30, 2006 5:27 am

Cool. Thanks guys. I'll have to ask my vet as I have no idea what kind of chip they use. I did ask my vet about the procedure - he asked what kind of pup - I said GSP - he said no problem if we can catch it. Heh.