American Pickers on History Channel

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

American Pickers on History Channel

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Do you guys know any of the people on this show. Farmers sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of rusting stuff and antiques they have trouble selling. Barn after barn filled with stuff.

Pretty amazing.

Born2Hunt

Re: American Pickers on History Channel

Post by Born2Hunt » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Just got done watching a few shows with my son on net flix .. great show

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:00 pm

We love it!
brenda

Maurice

Post by Maurice » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:45 pm

Great show. I also like Pawn Stars, the old man cracks me up.

Mo

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:06 pm

The Old Man is my favorite. I tease my wife about having a crush on Chumlee. :lol:

tn red

Post by tn red » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:29 pm

They are opening a office in Nashville also the show where they where in Watertown Tn at the movie prop house( The White Elephant) the lady Ruby on that show is a customer of mine.They dont just drive up & start picking its all done in advance she said

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:39 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:The Old Man is my favorite. I tease my wife about having a crush on Chumlee. :lol:
Oh gosh i cant stand that show because the grandfather and grandson annoy me TOO much, but they do get cool things in there, if not for the 2 annoyers i would watch it :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't like the show, looks to me like a couple predators picking on our elderly - who's kids abandoned them and their familys history, story and lifestyle is about to go away forever.

they offer them a pittance, then clean up the item and use their show to sell it more than they'd ever be able to sell it for otherwise.

ya, I know it'd all probably just go to waste anyways - I just hate to see history on the auction block or more perhaps a way of life

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:44 am

Yup: Just came from my great aunts. Her whole house is full of old knick knacks, tons of Salt and Pepper shakers a big old oak roll top desk from the 1800's, matching oak file cabinet. She just loves the stuff and would never sell anything. Same with the attic. Full of old stuff.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:08 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Yup: Just came from my great aunts. Her whole house is full of old knick knacks, tons of Salt and Pepper shakers a big old oak roll top desk from the 1800's, matching oak file cabinet. She just loves the stuff and would never sell anything. Same with the attic. Full of old stuff.

Rick
Hopefully she has made it clear to everyone who gets what when she passes Rick, those things can get into the wrong hands if they are not designated, unfortunately it happens way too often, i wish my grandma would have done it then my cousin wouldnt have ended up with her old music box which ended up on EBAY sold to a collector :cry: i would have kept it forever for my daughters to be handed down for generations....ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

crepuscular

Post by crepuscular » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:12 am

KFhunter wrote:I don't like the show, looks to me like a couple predators picking on our elderly - who's kids abandoned them and their familys history, story and lifestyle is about to go away forever.

they offer them a pittance, then clean up the item and use their show to sell it more than they'd ever be able to sell it for otherwise.

ya, I know it'd all probably just go to waste anyways - I just hate to see history on the auction block or more perhaps a way of life

I totally agree, and then they have the audacity to brag about how much they can sell or did sell the items!! That show is not for me.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:46 am

mcbosco wrote:Do you guys know any of the people on this show. Farmers sitting on hundreds of thousands of dollars of rusting stuff and antiques they have trouble selling. Barn after barn filled with stuff.

Pretty amazing.
They are up in the east part of Iowa close to Davenport....I've had contact (email) with them about a couple places around here. Place's like you see on their show are pretty common place once your off the interstates in the Midwest and Southern states....I would guess its the same across the whole country though.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:55 am

Onk wrote: They are up in the east part of Iowa close to Davenport....
About 45 minutes from me, and as a utility worker, I'm in that town frequently. They had some kind of open house this summer, but I missed it. :cry:

I don't get cable tv, but I've watched it several times. Guess I wasn't totally bothered by the show, as it reminded me a lot of some people I know and places I've been...as in a lot of stuff that someone has tucked away here and there, often never sees, never uses, and doesn't care to keep in tip top shape. I remember watching one a long time ago, about an old soda fountain or ice cream deally--can't remember which. The thing was stashed in a barn and literally falling apart. I wouldn't have given a nickle for it, nor would I have thought anyone else would. AP bought it and restored it. Same thing happens on Pawnstars. Sometimes the people that have that historical piece in their hands don't appreciate it near as much as the next guy will. They are just holding on to stuff...and that's why ultimately they are willing to sell it.

Ruth, my husbands grandma made a list like you are talking about. It seemed kind of morbid at the time, but I know it was important to her, that what happened to you...didn't happen to us. I don't know how they went through everything, because it seems like she has a billion knick knacks. :D

Siskiyou Blues

Post by Siskiyou Blues » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:11 am

crepuscular wrote:
KFhunter wrote:I don't like the show, looks to me like a couple predators picking on our elderly - who's kids abandoned them and their familys history, story and lifestyle is about to go away forever.

I totally agree, and then they have the audacity to brag about how much they can sell or did sell the items!! That show is not for me.
I have been watching the show on netflix. They always seem pretty honest about how they need to make enough money reselling the items . They original owners don't have to sell there stuff. They can keep it in their garage for the rest of their lives if they don't want to sell it.
Maybe instead they can drive around offering an ebay seminar to these people, since they are obviously internet users, that way they can get full retail for their stuff.
I have seen them pay more then offered for items on numerous occasions. It doesn't seem like they go about trying to be deceitful of what they are doing.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:04 am

I like the show & don't see anything wrong with them making money from what they buy.Most of it is setting there wasting away anyhow.I think they offer way too much for things I wouldn't even own.bicycles that are rusted away,old motors that are rusty in parts & haven't been run for yrs.What about things setting outside under plastic or in old builings with leaking roofs falling apart from being wet or sun damaged & alot of this stuff these people won't sell no matter what.It's like anything else if you don't want to sell don't,but it's their business so they have to make a profit.Where do you think these people got all this suff,they bought it just like the pickers & some of it they got for nothing,it was given to them.These people are pickers them selves & make money on it aswell. :?

Munster

Post by Munster » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:25 pm

crepuscular wrote:

That is how I feel about pawn stars. Some poor chump down on his luck getting taken advantage of. I LOVE it when some people reconize what is happening and walk away! Highlight of the show for me.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:32 pm

+1 munster on the pawn stars show

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:04 pm

I watch these guys and they offer a fair price, most of the time, Some times they get taken. They alway offer more than I think is proper, (which does not mean alot). They need to make a profit. They are guesstimating their profit more than they have sold prices. Most of these folks just let this stuff sit and rot. These guys, although I find them each annoying, dig up a lot of old history. I have learned some watching this show.

Gun Dog;
There is already fighitn amongst her two childern.. It is ridiculous. Unfortunately, She is also wishing some one would keep the whole lot and kind of never sell anything.. A normal house hould could not hold what she has with out building a separte building. It does amaze me how people are. Personally I like one item that reminds me of the person that passed. My Nana, I just wanted a salt a pepper shaker. They were from the 50's and just beat up and simple.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:I like the show & don't see anything wrong with them making money from what they buy.Most of it is setting there wasting away anyhow.I think they offer way too much for things I wouldn't even own.bicycles that are rusted away,old motors that are rusty in parts & haven't been run for yrs.What about things setting outside under plastic or in old builings with leaking roofs falling apart from being wet or sun damaged & alot of this stuff these people won't sell no matter what.It's like anything else if you don't want to sell don't,but it's their business so they have to make a profit.Where do you think these people got all this suff,they bought it just like the pickers & some of it they got for nothing,it was given to them.These people are pickers them selves & make money on it aswell. :?
It's high pressure, guilt drivin sales pitching to our elderly

same as kirby vacumn sales, I veiw them as predators of the elderly
I'd love to see some crotchety old feller run em off with a double barrel shotgun

remember we only see what they show us, we don't get to see all the unedited tapes.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:22 pm

Well I'm one of those elderly & I guess we see things totally different through different eyes.These elderly are going to leave this junk behind to decay & rot just like we will do when they throw dirt on us.Like I said where do you think these elderly accumulated this junk that most of us would not own??I had a friend that passed about 3 yrs back that did this very thing now his wife is trying to get rid of the junk so she has room in her basement,barn,& storage.People called him to help clear up their property now his wife is doing the same. :D