Crate Ventilation

tnbndr

Crate Ventilation

Post by tnbndr » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Did a search but came up dry. I am looking to buy a couple of fans to hook on my dog crate to ventilate when necessary. Does anyone have any experience with a certain brand, either good or bad. It seems they all look fairly cheap. I want one that I can run off my car battery, I plan on wiring a double cigarette plug adapter to the back of my pickup truck for this purpose. Any and all help, suggestions etc welcome.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Re: Crate Ventilation

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Dont know if this is what you are looking for or if you have a petsmart but we have this, good luck.....ruth

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... 36.4397194
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:37 pm

i have one of these - and it really moves some air :D

http://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-0 ... 711&sr=8-1

The company also makes vent fans if something like that is more to your liking. RV folks are nuts about them; good products and excellent customer service.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Never thought of it, but I bet you can run the huge 200mm computer fans pretty easily. I have built 3 gaming computers that require tons of airflow to keep the case cool. Check out newegg.com and look up 200mm fans. They have small plugs, you would just need some sort of adapter, probably have them on their site as well. Just a thought, cheap and efficient.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:50 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Never thought of it, but I bet you can run the huge 200mm computer fans pretty easily. I have built 3 gaming computers that require tons of airflow to keep the case cool. Check out newegg.com and look up 200mm fans. They have small plugs, you would just need some sort of adapter, probably have them on their site as well. Just a thought, cheap and efficient.
Brilliant idea!
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Ahumphers91a wrote:Never thought of it, but I bet you can run the huge 200mm computer fans pretty easily. I have built 3 gaming computers that require tons of airflow to keep the case cool. Check out newegg.com and look up 200mm fans. They have small plugs, you would just need some sort of adapter, probably have them on their site as well. Just a thought, cheap and efficient.
Then you can add a solar panel and no battery is needed. I have heard you would have to by DC components for this method.
Is this a plastic crate or a dog box?

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:09 am

here's what u need if you wanted to do that:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812123308
and you can add more extensions like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812201006
and here's the fan's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233067
here's the hardware:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGall ... 20included

It would work really well on a plastic porta-kennel i'm sure

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:16 am

Have not hooked up my new fans: from three years ago,

But, I had purchased three solar powered, sail boat fans. Thought it was a good idea, just never needed them as the $19.99 with d batteries are still working.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

Not sure what your set up is. We have 2 wire crates, in the bed of the truck, with a topper. We recently bought 2 Tornado Fans (by RoadPro) that plug into the adapter we had previously wired into the bed for an electric icechest for grocery getting. The fans have a big clip and can be mounted to the bed rail or topper. Have used them a couple times so far, and they are working out pretty well. Husband got them at a truck stop for something like $25 each.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:27 pm

wems2371 wrote:Not sure what your set up is. We have 2 wire crates, in the bed of the truck, with a topper. We recently bought 2 Tornado Fans (by RoadPro) that plug into the adapter we had previously wired into the bed for an electric icechest for grocery getting. The fans have a big clip and can be mounted to the bed rail or topper. Have used them a couple times so far, and they are working out pretty well. Husband got them at a truck stop for something like $25 each.
can u post pic's?

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:46 am

I have both. Just purchased an Easy Loader Deuce and if that works out I will be selling the dog box as it is heavier than I like although it is well built and insulated. Either way I need to add some ventilation for summer training days and I will rig something for the fan when they are in the back seat of the truck also.

Those computer fans only put out 75CFM of air? I have to research the others but it seems that more air would be needed.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:29 am

Ahumphers91a wrote:can u post pic's?
Went out and got a photo. If you want more pics, let me know what you want to see. Tried to get packaging in the pic, but can barely see. :roll:

The fans aren't necessarily where we'd put them for use, but I wanted to show that they'll mount in a few places. Still experimenting with the best set up, and the big mounting clamp is pretty convenient for that. The clamp can be switched out with an included permanent mounting plate too. Hung some pink tagging tape on the front of the one kennel. I know that doesn't offer much wind resistence, but figured it would show they could at least blow a mosquito off of you--maybe not one of those MN mosquitos...but a more anorexic IA one. :lol: They come with pretty lengthy cords, so we're going to feed the driver side cord around behind the kennels, to the 12 volt adapter we have under the passenger bedrail. As I said, we've only used them a half dozen times, so time will tell how they hold up, but they seem to do a nice job.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CCsQ8wIwAQ#

A friend of mine has a small box type fan that runs off of rechargeable cordless drill batteries. It seemed pretty nice too, but if you don't have that brand of batteries laying around for another purpose, the additional battery/charger made the price high. Can't remember if it was Black & Decker, Toshiba, or what...just know I couldn't find one in DeWalt to use the batteries I already have.

As an edit: I just happened upon the reviews of the Tornado Fan on Amazon. Most descriptive product reviews were good as to its functionality--EXCEPT for the amount of noise it makes. It is somewhat loud, sounding like a hair dryer. What do you expect of a Tornado? :D But being in the back of the topper, it's not a big deal, and probably not any louder than some box fans I've had.
Last edited by wems2371 on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brittlver

Post by Brittlver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:58 am

Here you go, get a couple of these and you should be fine. I plan on building 4 of these into my box for the summer months. 250 CFMS each.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835119148

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:12 pm

tnbndr wrote:
I have both. Just purchased an Easy Loader Deuce and if that works out I will be selling the dog box as it is heavier than I like although it is well built and insulated. Either way I need to add some ventilation for summer training days and I will rig something for the fan when they are in the back seat of the truck also.

Those computer fans only put out 75CFM of air? I have to research the others but it seems that more air would be needed.
I would recommend two or more for a push pull method. It keeps cases that are half the size of a large porta kennel down toaround 25-30 celsius, when the equipment is running over 130f.