Louisiana or Southern Minnesota

ben33127

Louisiana or Southern Minnesota

Post by ben33127 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:26 pm

So i interviewed with a company and was offered a position in either Louisiana Alexandria area, or Minnesota Albert Lea area. I have considered many pros and cons. However, I can not find how the hunting is in either place. Does anyone have experience near either of these places? Thanks for the help!!

Dashin Gun Dogs

Re: Louisiana or Southern Minnesota

Post by Dashin Gun Dogs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 pm

If you are looking for upland, then I would head to Minnesota. LA only has ducks and woodcock. If you don't like the heat then LA sure isnt the place to be.
Chris Andrews
Dashin Gun Dogs
www.dashingundogs.com
"Developing enjoyable and obedient companions"

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:58 pm

S. Mn is beautiful, with plenty of hunting available. Lots of state land, lakes everywhere, no alligators to help the dog retrieve, and all you need for the mosquitoes is a .410. No bag limit. Not a lot of rattle snakes, even though the DNR is attempting to improve timber rattler habitat.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm

The hunting options within a days drive of Albert Lee are excellent. I don't know about LA

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Minnesota is the home of Pheasants Forever - and I know you'll be a heck of a lot closer to good hunting (upland) than you'd be in LA. It's just a hop skip and a jump to South Dakota from MN. Same for Iowa, NODAK and Nebraska.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Hunting wise, Minny is better all around. Good upland (especially pheasant down in that area), water fowl is good in LA, been there, its incredible. But, its night and day as far as living. Heat and southern living vs seasons and northern living. If the "deal changer" is hunting, Id pick Minny. Not only are there more option (IMO) but youre close to a lot of other options. SD, ND, WI, UP of MI, ect. Im surer LA has its gems and good hunting, but, its freaking hot and they speak a different language there, lol. You have a life decision that, IMO, is night and day. LA vs MN is a vast difference. While the way we spend our free time is very important, one has to be happy every day. Where you are from should obviously be weighed. What are you used to??? IMO, if you like to hunt, like public land access, and a variety of hunting opportunities, MN wont disappoint. Cant accuraely, in depth, say that about LA, lack of experience. Good luck!

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:46 pm

baileydog2007 wrote:Hunting wise, Minny is better all around. Good upland (especially pheasant down in that area), water fowl is good in LA, been there, its incredible. But, its night and day as far as living. Heat and southern living vs seasons and northern living. If the "deal changer" is hunting, Id pick Minny. Not only are there more option (IMO) but youre close to a lot of other options. SD, ND, WI, UP of MI, ect. Im surer LA has its gems and good hunting, but, its freaking hot and they speak a different language there, lol. You have a life decision that, IMO, is night and day. LA vs MN is a vast difference. While the way we spend our free time is very important, one has to be happy every day. Where you are from should obviously be weighed. What are you used to??? IMO, if you like to hunt, like public land access, and a variety of hunting opportunities, MN wont disappoint. Cant accuraely, in depth, say that about LA, lack of experience. Good luck!

He is right there is no good hunting down here at all, the couple hundred woodcock and couple hundred ducks don't make for a good season. They call this state the sportman's paradise for fun and the food sucks. :mrgreen: go to minnesota!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Dashin Gun Dogs wrote:If you are looking for upland, then I would head to Minnesota. LA only has ducks and woodcock. If you don't like the heat then LA sure isnt the place to be.

you right no need to come down here its hot muggy and mosquitos everywhere and no birds oh what the mosquitos are big like birds. :roll: :roll:
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:59 pm

I've never been to Minnesota.

South Louisiana is one of my favorite places on earth. Like was mentioned, I have no idea why they call it the sportsman's paradise. :D

Heat and humidity isn't the end of the world, or fatal as some would have you believe. You may have to change some of your hunting habits, but Louisiana offers MANY options...

Do you fish? Lake Calcasieu is a blast, and close to Alexandria.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:17 pm

displaced_texan wrote:I've never been to Minnesota.

South Louisiana is one of my favorite places on earth. Like was mentioned, I have no idea why they call it the sportsman's paradise. :D

Heat and humidity isn't the end of the world, or fatal as some would have you believe. You may have to change some of your hunting habits, but Louisiana offers MANY options...

I have been to both places nothing here in Louisiana for you to do head north. The 6 limit points I had on woodcock last year was a fluke :D :D :D

Oh a limit point is a limit of woodcock killed over one point they were flushing like coveys last year :lol: :lol: :lol: I wont even begin to tell you how horrible the duck hunting has been they all stop in arkansas now never come down to La.

Go to Minnesota Oh and the offshore fishing is terrible as well and when I am woodcock hunting in January and its about 40-50 its cold up north.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 pm

northern cajun wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:I've never been to Minnesota.

I have been to both places nothing here in Louisiana for you to do head north. The 6 limit points I had on woodcock last year was a fluke :D :D :D

Oh a limit point is a limit of woodcock killed over one point they were flushing like coveys last year :lol: :lol: :lol: I wont even begin to tell you how horrible the duck hunting has been they all stop in arkansas now never come down to La.

Go to Minnesota Oh and the offshore fishing is terrible as well and when I am woodcock hunting in January and its about 40-50 its cold up north.
Why do you think I left that god forsaken wasteland? :lol: :lol:

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:39 pm

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30001

Where did you leave Minnesota?
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 pm

northern cajun wrote:viewtopic.php?f=69&t=30001

Where did you leave Minnesota?
Well played!

I spent my teenage years in Shreveport. All that place has going for it in my eyes is that it's close to South LA :D

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:49 pm

Displaced we have a saying in Cajun country everything north of I-10 is South Arkansas not north Louisiana and if we must get technical.
The Louisiana purchase was the best upland deal ever if you ask me.

The Louisiana Purchase encompassed all or part of 15 current U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. The land purchased contained all of present-day Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, parts of Minnesota that were west of the Mississippi River, most of North Dakota, nearly all of South Dakota, northeastern New Mexico, northern Texas, the portions of Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado east of the Continental Divide, and Louisiana west of the Mississippi River, including the city of New Orleans. (parts of this area were still claimed by Spain at the time of the Purchase.) In addition, the Purchase contained small portions of land that would eventually become part of the Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan. The purchase, which doubled the size of the United States, comprises around 23% of current U.S. territory
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

GSPTrigger

Post by GSPTrigger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:31 am

I live directly east of Albert Lea about an hour and as far as Pheasants go around here it seems to be spotty. But the pockets that you do find have always produced really well. I also know the further west you head in MN the better it gets especially around Marshall MN and if you want to duck and goose hunt you're not far from the Mississippi River.

gspguy

Post by gspguy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 am

If you like pheasant and ruffed grouse hunting then MN would be the choice but Albert Lea isn't the optimal location. The best public land pheasant hunting is in SW MN and West Central MN with 100's of WMA's available to tromp around in. There isn't a lot of public hunting around Albert Lea so you'd be pounding on doors to get private access. Pheasant hunting this year compared to the last several will be a disappointment due to the hard winter and cool wet spring but if you work hard and cover a lot of ground you'll get your opportunities. Grouse hunting is in Northern MN which is a long drive from Albert Lea. There are millions of acres of public forest available to hunt in N MN. The 10 year grouse cycle has peaked and will likely start declining with decent hunting for the next year or 2 and then it'll get harder. Don't forget that the bass & walleye fishing in MN is phenominal. Again, Albert Lea isn't the optimal location for that either. Fall is my favority time of year and fall in MN is awesome with the sights, sounds & smells. However, winter comes right after fall so you don't like cold & snow I'd think twice about MN. Bottom line: pheasant & grouse = MN but I think Albert Lea is a sub-optimal location for both. Especially from a public land access standpoint. I might add that MN was 2nd last year for P&Y bucks taken. Wisconsin was first so good deer hunting up here too.

I'm sure Louisiana has some good hunting too but I've only been there once to New Orleans on business so I can't comment. I can say without reservation that the food is incredible in Louisiana. I'm getting fat just thinking about the food down there. If we could only get the scandinavians up here to learn to how to do some good Cajun cooking. Awesome food.
They're all broke 'til they break.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:04 am

Plus Albert Lea is only 97.42 miles from Target Field....quite possibly one of the best ballparks in the world!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 am

northern cajun wrote:Displaced we have a saying in Cajun country everything north of I-10 is South Arkansas not north Louisiana and if we must get technical.
I've heard that before, and won't argue the point at all!

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 am

Thanks for all of the help guys......I am orginally from south central Alabama so I am use to the poor public land situation, as well as the HEAT 105 3 days last week! Does anyone from that area Albert lea know is it hard to find a home????? That plays into my decision as well.....Thanks for all of the help!

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:15 pm

La. bound!!

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm

Being a PROUD Texan I cannot speak to the "paradise" that is So. LA. However, I can say that the people there are some of the best in the country, save for most Texans that is. The cajun way of life is one of food, fellowship, and... food! The food in So LA will not dissapoint and when everyone else on here is complaining of shoveling their driveway every morning you will be out hunting. Also, a AL boy like yourself will continue to be surrounded by football fans that are dang near unmatched as well. Although, nothing beats TX!! I dont care if it has been 100+ for 39 days straight!!

ben33127

Post by ben33127 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:47 pm

proudag08 wrote:Being a PROUD Texan I cannot speak to the "paradise" that is So. LA. However, I can say that the people there are some of the best in the country, save for most Texans that is. The cajun way of life is one of food, fellowship, and... food! The food in So LA will not dissapoint and when everyone else on here is complaining of shoveling their driveway every morning you will be out hunting. Also, a AL boy like yourself will continue to be surrounded by football fans that are dang near unmatched as well. Although, nothing beats TX!! I dont care if it has been 100+ for 39 days straight!!
Well said!