jerseys in heat....8 months old tomorrow..

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

jerseys in heat....8 months old tomorrow..

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:32 am

well, i noticed jersey went into heat this morning so no more dog parks, dog ponds or being alone in the yard AT ALL..shes not too thrilled about the diaper being on she keeps trying to run in circles to get it off :lol: this is my first dog ive had here in heat because the rescues ive had that went into heat before i could spay them i boarded at the vet so any tips you have, things i should know feel free to post :D ..uh oh i hear a knock at the door, i wonder if its the german shepard down the street :o :P ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

JessiNGunther

Re: jerseys in heat....8 months old tomorrow..

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:37 am

OH NO! WOW 8 months is early is it not ? I was lucky that all my past girls waited until a year or more. You are going to have your hands full but take it one day at a time and before you know it'll be over with and life will get back to normal.

I got Gunther from family friends and she just sent me an Email saying while they where at the lake Gunther's mom dug out of her kennel and then dug out Gunther's dad. They are going to have a litter at the end of this month. It's crazy what a dog will do when in heat.
Life is best when you're Jeeping with your Family and Dogs
General Gunther Von Grants
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:23 am

JessiNGunther wrote:OH NO! WOW 8 months is early is it not ? I was lucky that all my past girls waited until a year or more. You are going to have your hands full but take it one day at a time and before you know it'll be over with and life will get back to normal.

I got Gunther from family friends and she just sent me an Email saying while they where at the lake Gunther's mom dug out of her kennel and then dug out Gunther's dad. They are going to have a litter at the end of this month. It's crazy what a dog will do when in heat.
at first i was wondering how she got cut :roll: then after a closer look i realized :idea: shes in heat!!..oh gosh, i hope she just accepts her diaper and lays down, she looks so embarrassed :lol:...ruth

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 am

Good luck and i hope she is chill for a few days.

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:06 am

Anytime after 6 months is perfectly normal for a female to go into heat. Just keep her away from male dogs and keep the diaper on and you should be fine. Normally it lasts 21-28 days. Some females have crazy first cycles though so even if you think she is out of heat give it more time and such before she is around male dogs.

Some people say their females act differently while in heat. Mine never have. But just be aware of that as well.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:42 am

GUNDOGS wrote: at first i was wondering how she got cut :roll: then after a closer look i realized :idea: shes in heat!!..oh gosh, i hope she just accepts her diaper and lays down, she looks so embarrassed :lol:...ruth

Ummm, the b. pants are embarassing enough, so try to keep any toys that might stick to the velcro away. :D

Brandi last came into heat in June, and I turned away from my desk to see this. Immediately I said to my husband, "Did you do that?" He didn't even know what I was talking about. She must have walked around for 5 minutes with the giant deflated tennis ball stuck to her, oblivious to our laughter.

If you're using dog pants like the ones I bought, my girl starts pulling the pads out after a couple days. It's still a good barrier though for the furniture and what not--just needs regular washing.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:49 am

wems2371 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote: at first i was wondering how she got cut :roll: then after a closer look i realized :idea: shes in heat!!..oh gosh, i hope she just accepts her diaper and lays down, she looks so embarrassed :lol:...ruth

Ummm, the b. pants are embarassing enough, so try to keep any toys that might stick to the velcro away. :D

Brandi last came into heat in June, and I turned away from my desk to see this. Immediately I said to my husband, "Did you do that?" He didn't even know what I was talking about. She must have walked around for 5 minutes with the giant deflated tennis ball stuck to her, oblivious to our laughter.

If you're using dog pants like the ones I bought, my girl starts pulling the pads out after a couple days. It's still a good barrier though for the furniture and what not--just needs regular washing.

:lol: POOR BRANDI :lol: i can only imagine her looking at you like " have you noticed anything different here mum" :?: ...for now i have my 4 year olds pull ups that she use to use at night, i grabbed one out of the cupboard and my 4 year old cried cause she said she didnt want to share her pull ups with jersey :roll: yet she shares suckers with her :? ....ruth

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:31 pm

It will be over soon. Keep a close eye out for sneaky pete, he will get in somehow and bam you got a problem.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

JessiNGunther

Post by JessiNGunther » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 pm

wems2371 wrote:

OH poor girl !!! but that's a really funny photo .

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:01 pm

wems2371 wrote:

ROFLMBO... I was looking at that thing and wondering, "What the heck is that?" My dog has figured out how to open a sliding door and has been going for an "all you can eat lunch" . (I keep the dog food behind the sliding door.)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:59 am

i cant get jersey to keep a diaper on, she HATES it..maybe her hating it has something to do with my kids standing there laughing and pointing at her :|...ruth

MikeAZ

Post by MikeAZ » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:06 pm

I just got a 3 yo female who is about due to cycle. I think I am going to have her spayed...can you do that when they are in heat? If not I guess I need to get that done before it all starts.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:42 pm

Be ready to deal with this for at least 3 weeks. And don't take your eyes off her, until you think its been over for several days. So many girls get pregnant just when the owner thinks the danger is passed.

And also, get ready for the day she wakes up a total hussey! When they get fertile, they seem to know SOMETHING should happen (although what they are not sure) and if there are any males about they will flirt with them mercilessly, and also try to escape the yard or pen. The female can be nearly as determined as the male for those fertile days.

Hormones will also affect her mood and ability to deal with stress. She could get super affectionate or irritable, or anything in between.

Good luck!

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48 pm

MikeAZ wrote:I just got a 3 yo female who is about due to cycle. I think I am going to have her spayed...can you do that when they are in heat? If not I guess I need to get that done before it all starts.
safer to do it a couple months after the heat. There is a lot of blood supply to the organs during heat and the risk of hemorage is high. Many vets won't do it then. Too risky. A spay is hard enough on a mature female as is. It is a hysterectomy after all... that is major abdominal surgery. If you know any ladies who have had one, or had a C-section, its similar in terms of how hard it is on the body.