E-collar - best bang for your buck?

displaced_texan

Re: E-collar - best bang for your buck?

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:47 am

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:displaced Texan,
I never said they didn't, only related the DT & Dogtra engineering capibility. Other people like those units very much, myself I would not own either one.
RGD/Dave
I know, I was just pointing it out for the OP's benefit.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 am

bossman wrote:When you say you've checked a few out...how? On line? Catalog? Visit a store? I would strongly suggest, if you havn't, go in person to get the feel for the different models. See if there is a local gun dog club or trainer that you might spend a little time with to see how different collars operate. What feels good to one, might not feel good to another. For everyday training purposes, I use a TT Pro 100, love it. In the field I use a Dogtra 2502 simply because I think they have the best collar/beeper combination ( I hate the TT beepers although no experience with the new one). Even though I run my dogs with an Astro, I still like the security of a beeper (ok, call be over protective). Also, make sure whenever you decide to start using a collar, get your dog "collar conditioned" and make sure you know what, when , how and why to use the collar. Good luck!
Yeah I was just looking around online and reading some reviews. This Saturday I'm heading out to the field with a fellow GDF member. I believe he has started using a e-collar his 12mon GSP so hopefully I'll get a chance to check it out and see how he utilizes it in the field.

Tim

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:39 am

Ok, does anyone have any experience with the sportdog field trainer sd-400? Thoughts?

Tim

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:44 am

DogNewbie wrote:Ok, does anyone have any experience with the sportdog field trainer sd-400? Thoughts?

Tim
Ya, I have had experience with it and after returning two of them [one right out of the box] I gave up, so my experience was not good. Please realize that I am just answering your question about having experience with it, so take it FWIW. After returning DT's and Sport Dog's, I bought a TT sport basic and had excellent results and no problems. I recently upgraded to the pro 100 and love it.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

MATT4126

Post by MATT4126 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I had the sd400 and it was fine for real close in yard use. I found the battery needed frequent charging and the range might have been 100 yds. I now use the SD 1825 and run 2 collars with it and it is outstanding. Have had no trouble this far and would recommend the sportdog line to anyone.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Ok, does anyone have any experience with the sportdog field trainer sd-400? Thoughts?

Tim
I have the sd-800 and as soon as i can afford a TT pro 100 i'm going to buy one. save your money and buy one ecollar, not a cheap one now and the one you should have bought first, later.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm

brad27 wrote: save your money and buy one ecollar, not a cheap one now and the one you should have bought first, later.
As with most things, it is cheaper in the long run to purchase quality the first time around.

Suds77

Post by Suds77 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 pm

I am a new dog owner and new to running an e-collar as well. I currently own a Sport Dog collar and realistically I am having nothing but problems with it. I have followed the manual to a "T" with very little positive results. I have tried different prong lengths only to get more frustrated and now find myself looking at the TT models for hunting. For my SD to work and get a correction out of it I need to run it on 6 as the lowest setting out of 18 for me to even feel it in my palm.

My background is waterfowl chasing and pheasants and in my family we have owned nothing other than Labradors so on this site I feel like the minority as it seems everyone owns Brittany's or GSP's.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:59 pm

Great feed back. Sounds like that model isn't worth my time or money. Seems like people are having trouble with the cheaper models of every brand. Makes sense I suppose. My boss was saying that he felt like the SD battery technology is much more advanced than the TT? Any comments on that? Thanks!

Tim

Suds77

Post by Suds77 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:03 pm

The SD I have seems to have good battery life but also takes longer to charge. Honestly though I think charging it is one of the safest ways to keep your dog safe. To me a E-Collar is much more than just for corrections.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:05 pm

Charlie,
Sense I do some testing for DT, will you please tell me what happened with your DT unit that you had to return it.
RGD/Dave

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:35 pm

http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tronics ... basic.html

What about the Tri Tronics sport basic? Is this a good starter unit?
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 pm

JWP58 wrote:http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tronics ... basic.html

I had a Sport Upland for several years with no issues. Range was fine running an EP in western Oklahoma.

I've since upgraded to a Pro 200, because I found a used one cheap and needed to add another collar since I'm going to be running two dogs this fall. I was trying to sell the remote from my Upland, but no bites, so I guess I'll keep it as a backup.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:58 pm

JWP58 wrote:

Very clumsy transmitter and clunky dials. Have you any knowledge of using an e-collar - and the dexterity for it? The Dogtra 280NCP is a much better fit at a comparable price - actually at about 75% of the price if you go with an authorized Dogtra dealer on eBay.

MG

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:28 pm

crackerd wrote:
JWP58 wrote:

Very clumsy transmitter and clunky dials. Have you any knowledge of using an e-collar - and the dexterity for it? The Dogtra 280NCP is a much better fit at a comparable price - actually at about 75% of the price if you go with an authorized Dogtra dealer on eBay.

MG
No, i dont.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:40 pm

crackerd wrote:
JWP58 wrote:

MG
Clumsy transmitter is subjective. I found it very convenient to use with one hand, it fit me very well.

Vaguely related, I find Glock pistols very awkward to hold/shoot.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:33 pm

Ryman Gun Dog wrote:Charlie,
Sense I do some testing for DT, will you please tell me what happened with your DT unit that you had to return it.
RGD/Dave
Ya, they would just quit working. They wouldn't even turn on. I went through three of them and the last one worked well for about a year. Keep in mind, this has been a few years ago and I really liked them when they were working. A guy that I hunted with back then had the same model as mine and had no issues with his.
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 pm

JWP58 wrote:http://www.gundogsupply.com/tri-tronics ... basic.html

I had one for years with no problems.I still use it. It can handle 1-3 dogs. You get one collar/receiver; you have to purchase 2 additional receivers( collar) for 2 more dogs if desired.

http://www.tritronics.com/sport-basic-g3-exp.html
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:28 pm

I have used TT, DT, and Sport dog. Though I prefer TT for numerous reasons, but I don't really have much bad to say about any of the others. I currently have a TT pro 500 and it is the bees knees as far as I'm concerned BUT I was out at Scheel's in Omaha they had a great deal on a Sport Dog Pro 2400 for 149, couldn't turn down a great deal and it's always good to have a back up. Seems to be a very nice collar, it will be getting some use shortly.

Point is find one that looks like it will work for you, find one for a price you are comfortable with, and most likely you will have a good usable collar.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:45 pm

I have used Tri Tronics for the last 20 years and have always been happy with them. I had one DT that I bought used and some friends use Dogtra, I can't see myself changing. I also like buying American when I can.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:22 am

I picked up a dt 2420 from the midway usa clearance bin. So far i love it. The rise feature and the display are great.
I have dogtra launchers they also have the quailty feel and finish of the dt system. I have yet to try tritronics i am sure they are good also.
My first collar system was a petsafe two dog system i bought off ebay brand new it was the adv 1002. Not bad easy to use, after a ciuple of years the batteries would no longer hold a charge and petsafe offered me an upgrade instead of a pair of replacement collars. They sold me on a petsafe venture series. Which they said is better than the adv. I ended up with something that has the fit and finish of a childs toy from the dollar store. I let it sit long enough that now they won't take it back even though i called the week i bought it to complain. The second collar is still nib.
I wad offered a upgrade to their sportdog line with only about a 20% discount if i sent back their venture series which i bought at a 20% discount for giving up the original decent adv unit.
I will not risk anymore cash to petsafe or their subsidiary sportdog.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:32 pm

kensfishing wrote:There are many out there and every one has their own opions on each. As far using an e collar for kennels training I don't agree. The kennel is a safe zone for the dog.
Sorry to hi-jack the post, but what e-collar is the best for the "Flank"??