I'm too young and broke for this!

isonychia

I'm too young and broke for this!

Post by isonychia » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:40 pm

After hunting with my dog for the first time I have become completely obsessed. Given its only been a couple of days of hunting and maybe I need to cool off, but I don't like where I see this going. First off I now live in a duplex (though in Colorado!) so this is where I see this going:

Lease some land or move to the country
Build a pigeon house
Get a truck with a dog box instead of my subaru forester
Get another dog (maybe a setter? Something with some grouse tradition, I would buy another brittany but I already have one!)
Get a new O/U
Loose some sleep

Maybe in 10 yrs with this economy! ... not sure what to do, can't even focus on watching a movie now. The funny thing is, no one in my family has a hunting dog and no one hunts/hunted except my uncle and grandfather who lived pretty far away from home. I think my grandfather used to have a brittany and hunted pheasant with it in PA. Either way, my immediate family would have nothing to do with hunting if it weren't for me. Now here I am with a bird dog, and am a newly avid turkey / big game hunter / fly-fisherman. Where on earth did I come from! The good news is that there seem to be a lot more people in their younger 20's here in CO who hunt than in NC, finding a fishing or hunting buddy at my age seems to be quiet the challenge, so far I've just been doing it solo.

Sniper John

Re: I'm too young and broke for this!

Post by Sniper John » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 pm

I understand, been there, still there really, just not young anymore. But I am too broke for it.
Last edited by Sniper John on Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Now you see how the rest of us feel.I've been like that since I was old enough to hunt & fish.The problem now is not only am I TOO OLD & BROKE but broke down physicaly aswell.
All I can say do it as much as you can while you can & enjoy every minute of it!!

Good Luck!!

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:33 am

You will never have the money to do all you want. That's why people play the lotto. Do what you .can with what you have and enjoy it. Sounds like your hooked welcome to the club :D
Jered
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:45 am

If you think you are broke now, think about field trialing....

You can add to your list the following:

One or two gaited horses
Feed, vet and farrier services for above
Two or more saddles and accompanying tack
Horse trailer
Tow vehicle
three to ten additional dogs
Kennel facilities for the above
A BIGGER place in the country
Feed and vet services for above
Entry fees fuel and costs associated with attending events(lodging, food)

Oh and not much sleep at all since you will probably have to work a second job to make ends meet.

If you only hunt...count yourself lucky. :lol: :lol:

RayG

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:44 am

1) Keep Your Forester - Two dogs can easily fit in the back. No need for a dog box
2) Buy a Baikal if you need and new O/U
3) No need to raise Pigeons, when you need them buy them. Let someone else spend the money feeding and caring for them. With the time spent they sell them at a loss.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:24 am

mcbosco wrote:1) Keep Your Forester - Two dogs can easily fit in the back. No need for a dog box
2) Buy a Baikal if you need and new O/U
3) No need to raise Pigeons, when you need them buy them. Let someone else spend the money feeding and caring for them. With the time spent they sell them at a loss.

No.1 Keep the Forester- two dogs can fit in the back. No need for a box since it is just as easy to clean the inside of the vehicle after hauling two wet muddy, stinky dogs home in the back of it as it is to clean a crate.
No. 2 Buy a Baikal even though you don't need a new shotgun since they don't shoot any straighter than a used one
No.3 No need to raise Pigeons, when you need them make a dozen calls trying to find them and then spend 10 or 15 dollars for gas to go get them. Then change your plans to take the dog out till tomorrow since today is already used up. Plus you can haul them in a 30 dollar crate that is large enough to keep them in for a few days since the muddy dogs are loose in the back seat. 8) 8) 8)

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:26 am

If you only hunt...count yourself lucky.
Ha, that's a good one!
No these things were just expressions of my obsession. I plan on keeping my forester for a while, the only big thing for me will be trying to find a place to train my dog outside of city limits come this spring/fall and maybe build a new training table since I left mine back in NC. For the moment, I was very lucky to be able to afford my small game license and a box of shells, gas prices are the big expenditure anymore. My 870 will do for now, when the time and money come I'll either get a cz or a used citorri

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:27 am

I like how no one has said one dog is enough! haha

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:51 pm

isonychia wrote:I like how no one has said one dog is enough! haha

Its a sickness man.... I have a decent GSP, but this summer I drove to AL to meet a guy to pick up a GSP/EP pup for a meat dog. Last night I got home from Massachusettes with my FT prospect.

My wife and father inlaw already have 10 horses between them, but about 2-3 weeks ago i bought a Green Broke TWH, I already have a horse trailer and truck to tow it, we bought my inlaws house last spring in the middle of their 360acre farm.

All of this because about 3yrs ago me and a buddy of mine took our duck dogs to a game preserve and shot pheasants and quail.......

Save up buy what you can as the money comes, and enjoy the ride.

As far as too young and too broke go, I'm 27 and living on the salary of a public school teacher with student loans......

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:06 pm

As far as too young and too broke go, I'm 27 and living on the salary of a public school teacher with student loans......

Jim
I'm 23 and that just blew my mind a little bit... your doing pretty well it sounds for a public teacher with loans! My problem is that I always choose expensive towns to live in and I am going to be getting into winter sports here in CO, which means an avalanche class, snowboard, snowshoes, avalanche beaken, etc, etc, etc. Life is too short - we are pretty darn privileged here in the US, gotta take advantage of it for the people who can't, if we can make it work in a poor economy then I guess we need a little bit of a reality check, or at least I do.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:31 pm

isonychia wrote:

Jim
I'm 23 and that just blew my mind a little bit... your doing pretty well it sounds for a public teacher with loans! My problem is that I always choose expensive towns to live in and I am going to be getting into winter sports here in CO, which means an avalanche class, snowboard, snowshoes, avalanche beaken, etc, etc, etc. Life is too short - we are pretty darn privileged here in the US, gotta take advantage of it for the people who can't, if we can make it work in a poor economy then I guess we need a little bit of a reality check, or at least I do.
Was going to say you all need to stop and count your blessings. Remember the most important things you have are the ones that are hardest to obtain. If it was easy, they wouldn't mean much. And the day of feeling sorry for the public school teachers ended a few years back when when people became aware of the disparity in the salaries of the public workers compared to the ones in private companies. The truth is we all have it a lot better than any of us deserve and your wish list shows that. You are in the only country in the world where people would even dream of the things you are working towards in the next few years. And it was only a generation or two back in time those were just far fetched dreams here also at your ages in particular.

Just keep dreaming and working towards them, for the longer it takes and the harder it is to obtain the more precious it will be.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:48 pm

Well you can always marry into money. Just hang out in the right places.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:50 pm

ezzy333 wrote: And the day of feeling sorry for the public school teachers ended a few years back when when people became aware of the disparity in the salaries of the public workers compared to the ones in private companies.
Ezzy
Explain this one to me....Please

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 pm

You could deffinately marry into money, hang around the ski resorts that ought to help.

Ezzy I wasn't looking for anyone to feel sorry me or my profession, my point is that a person doesnt have to make a ton of money to enjoy this sport, you just may have to tighten up the ol' belt a little.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:35 pm

If I was single you could count on me to move out there and hang where ever those newly single 40 yr old ladies were. Get a older girlfriend with alimony and child support... work a job on the weekends and hunt all week. Ohhh baby that sounds like a plan.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:44 pm

ultracarry wrote:If I was single you could count on me to move out there and hang where ever those newly single 40 yr old ladies were. Get a older girlfriend with alimony and child support... work a job on the weekends and hunt all week. Ohhh baby that sounds like a plan.
A plan for a single man huh? :lol:

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:59 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:You could deffinately marry into money, hang around the ski resorts that ought to help.

Ezzy I wasn't looking for anyone to feel sorry me or my profession, my point is that a person doesnt have to make a ton of money to enjoy this sport, you just may have to tighten up the ol' belt a little.

Jim
Ezzy's statement was uncalled for. Wish he'd explain what he meant. There's not much more rewarding than being a "good" teacher. The money sucks, but I guess he know's best, when it comes to determing what kind of money teacher's should be paid or about anything else a moderator shouldn't have an opinion on..............

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:33 pm

CHJIII wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:You could deffinately marry into money, hang around the ski resorts that ought to help.

Jim
Ezzy's statement was uncalled for. Wish he'd explain what he meant. There's not much more rewarding than being a "good" teacher. The money sucks, but I guess he know's best, when it comes to determing what kind of money teacher's should be paid or about anything else a moderator shouldn't have an opinion on..............
If you want to stir up an argument I guess I should ask why mods have to be stupid or quiet. I didn't give up my right to participate when I offered years ago to be a moderator on this board. I really didn't try to stir up trouble but maybe I misinterpreted what was meant. No big deal. We are having a friendly discussion and that is as far as it goes. By the way I spent a lot of years being a teacher and I enjoyed it and think I was pretty good at it. So no matter how we cut it if you are offended I'm sorry for you but I said nothing that was intended to offend anyone nor should it.

Ezzy

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Mod's don't have to be quiet. Stupid is under their own control.

You still haven't explained what you meant.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:09 pm

ultracarry wrote:If I was single you could count on me to move out there and hang where ever those newly single 40 yr old ladies were. Get a older girlfriend with alimony and child support... work a job on the weekends and hunt all week. Ohhh baby that sounds like a plan.
We call those kind of ladies "Cougars"

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm

mcbosco wrote:

Yeah and from what I hear, the four corners region has the highest density of cougar in the US :lol: :lol:

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 pm

mcbosco wrote:
That are looking for cubs. :P

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:56 am

CHJIII wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: And the day of feeling sorry for the public school teachers ended a few years back when when people became aware of the disparity in the salaries of the public workers compared to the ones in private companies.
Ezzy

I am not going to speak for Ezzy or anyone else, but think about this:

Over 9% unemployment currently , which grossly understates the situation, If one adds the folks on unemplyoyment together with those who have given up looking for work the number is more like 15%. If one adds the folks who are working one or two part time jobs, with no medical or retirement benefits, the number approaches 25% of the "workforce. Social Security has not had an increase in the last few years, but the actual cost of living has skyrocketed due to increased energy and medical costs. Record numbers of homes are in foreclosure. Private sector spending in every area is drying up.

Soooo, a public school teacher or other government worker that has a fairly secure full time job with full benefits and and a career path is in fact doing pretty well. Most folks in this country that do not work for the government can't say all that. If you are over fifty, most companies are looking for an y kind of excuse to cut you loose.

When my plant closed due to foreign competition in 2001, there were NO jobs out there for a 50+ year old laboratory manager with boatloads of experience...and... nobody cared. I was on my own. My unemployment ended and I was on my own.

Be grateful for what you have. Many ain't doin' that well.

RayG

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:06 am

I'm very greatful and we do the best with what we have. Just wanted some clarification on that comment.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:10 am

CHJIII wrote:I'm very greatful and we do the best with what we have. Just wanted some clarification on that comment.
Was going to say you all need to stop and count your blessings. Remember the most important things you have are the ones that are hardest to obtain. If it was easy, they wouldn't mean much. And the day of feeling sorry for the public school teachers ended a few years back when when people became aware of the disparity in the salaries of the public workers compared to the ones in private companies. The truth is we all have it a lot better than any of us deserve and your wish list shows that. You are in the only country in the world where people would even dream of the things you are working towards in the next few years. And it was only a generation or two back in time those were just far fetched dreams here also at your ages in particular.

Just keep dreaming and working towards them, for the longer it takes and the harder it is to obtain the more precious it will be.

Ezzy
OK here is the statement I made. Can you clarify what part you are having a problem with and I will try to explain it.

Ezzy

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 pm

The part I highlighted in a previous post.

Deets

Post by Deets » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 pm

I am in a similar situation, although not as young as you. I live in a condo in Colorado with a 2 year old pointer that I am training myself and I am always broke as well. I do have a couple of suggestions for you. As far as pigeons I catch all of mine off of their roost with a fishing net at night. You could do the same. Just put a post on craigslist under the farm and garden section saying that you will remove pigeons for free. Your inbox will be flooded by people wanting to get pigeons out of their barns. As far as leasing land, you should look into the Colorado Gun Dog Association. Membership is $80 a year and they lease some land in Strausberg that you can use for training. They can also set you up with people who sell chuker and quail. Regarding the car, I would keep it. I have a full size Chevy and it cost me a fortune to go hunting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:41 pm

My comment was made when I thought Jim was saying how poorly the teachers are paid. But I did misread what he actually was saying. I have been conditioned over the past many years about how poorly the teachers were paid, which was a fact years ago. But in recent years the pay scale of all public workers have continued to climb while the private sector workers has not to where today the public workers are being paid over twice what the private worker s that are doing the same work. And we also have found in most communities the teachers are making more than the people who pay them. I am sure we all saw what has happened in WI and Ohio and a couple of other states and I think most people are now aware of some of the inequities that have come about in the past decade or two. But then Jim explained what he meant and I agree with what he is saying which is what I meant when I said we all need to be thankful for what we have.
Ezzy I wasn't looking for anyone to feel sorry me or my profession, my point is that a person doesn't have to make a ton of money to enjoy this sport, you just may have to tighten up the ol' belt a little.
I have a son, BIL, and a mother who were or are still teaching in the school system and I have spent a lot of years teaching in the private sector and I can't think of a better or more rewarding job. Hope this helps though I don't see that it has much to do with what Jim was saying other than he is thankful he has a decent job but in no way is rich.

Ezzy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:04 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
CHJIII wrote:
Ezzy

I am not going to speak for Ezzy or anyone else, but think about this:

Over 9% unemployment currently , which grossly understates the situation, If one adds the folks on unemplyoyment together with those who have given up looking for work the number is more like 15%. If one adds the folks who are working one or two part time jobs, with no medical or retirement benefits, the number approaches 25% of the "workforce. Social Security has not had an increase in the last few years, but the actual cost of living has skyrocketed due to increased energy and medical costs. Record numbers of homes are in foreclosure. Private sector spending in every area is drying up.

Soooo, a public school teacher or other government worker that has a fairly secure full time job with full benefits and and a career path is in fact doing pretty well. Most folks in this country that do not work for the government can't say all that. If you are over fifty, most companies are looking for an y kind of excuse to cut you loose.

When my plant closed due to foreign competition in 2001, there were NO jobs out there for a 50+ year old laboratory manager with boatloads of experience...and... nobody cared. I was on my own. My unemployment ended and I was on my own.

Be grateful for what you have. Many ain't doin' that well.

RayG

Exactly. We have our Ford plant closing this week. Hundreds of workers have been working there - some since it opened in 1965. Some very hard times ahead.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:12 pm

Man, I'm a 21 year old college student and work part time in the electrical trade. I love watching the dog work and hunting, but I have other hobbies to. Trying to sell some items from my other hobbies to fund this one, ie Garmin Astro :idea: . Like the rest of you still managing to squeeze by and trying to enjoy life while I still can. </soap box>

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 pm

CHJIII wrote:
Ezzy
This topic was discussed about 6 months ago, Ezzy said the average teacher salary in Wisc. was close to $90,000 which simply wasn't true. So I would imagine he is still under that impression. If the average teacher made $90,000 I would agree with him, but that's simply not the case.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:41 pm

nikegundog wrote:
CHJIII wrote:
Ezzy
This topic was discussed about 6 months ago, Ezzy said the average teacher salary in Wisc. was close to $90,000 which simply wasn't true. So I would imagine he is still under that impression. If the average teacher made $90,000 I would agree with him, but that's simply not the case.
Wasn't my figure but it has not been disputed or proven untrue. Are you sure it was $90,000? That seems high for an average. I know there are a bunch making more than that but ..................

Ezzy

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Think I saw they are the highest paid in the nation. Their average wage is almost $90,000, getting near twice as much as the average tax payer that pays their wages.

Ezzy
Yep, that was your figure.

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Everything you have described sounds normal to me! Join a local Brittany Club, go to outdoor shows/events....stuff like that! Hunting and outdoors type people are some of the best people on the face of the earth and pretty easy to meet! You will have plenty of hunting and fishing friends before you know it. Good luck and have fun!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:41 pm

Ezzy hook me up with one of those 90,000 positions I teach, coach 3 sports, and work a side job in the summer and don't come close to that!

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:29 am

There may be some teachers making something like that somewhere. I 'm in a small rural school and making it on $36k/year. I moved from STL 7 years ago and would be making double that if I was still there. Nobody can tell me I'm overpaid. The discrepancy in my current salary vs. what I could stil be making in the city is mind boggling. Same job, different location. Different kids, different set of problems.

Great job....very rewarding... not as easy as some may think. Still makes me smile everyday I walk into my classroom after 20 years.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 am

Iso,
Welcome to the addiction, I happen to have been born into it, and was completely addicted by age 10. Save your money and purchase some land with an old home on it.
Set up your own training facility, over haul the home and enjoy the rest of your life. We own such a place in the Pa mountains, and will never give it up.
RGD/Dave

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:15 am

You left out a few Ray,
RayGubernat wrote:If you think you are broke now, think about field trialing....

You can add to your list the following:

One or two gaited horses
Feed, vet and farrier services for above
Two or more saddles and accompanying tack
Horse trailer
Tow vehicle
three to ten additional dogs
Kennel facilities for the above
A BIGGER place in the country
Feed and vet services for above
Entry fees fuel and costs associated with attending events(lodging, food)

Oh and not much sleep at all since you will probably have to work a second job to make ends meet.

If you only hunt...count yourself lucky. :lol: :lol:

RayG
You'll also need

4-wheeler or Ranger with roading bars and harnesses
release traps and collars
GPS tracking system
Pigeon Coop with water heaters
quail and recall pens
8 weeks vacation time
8 weeks of sick time (broken bones from falling off horses required that much healing time)
pre-nuptial agreement from the divorce attorney you'll use in future

I started 3 years ago thinking I was just gonna buy a hunting dog. Three months later I bought her sister. I put a FC on the first one last fall. I just put a FC on her sister this weekend. I bred the first one in Dec and kept 3 pups. They just went 1st, 2nd, & 3rd in the Open Puppy this weekend also. I haven't bred the second one yet, who knows how many I'll keep from that litter. I'm now looking for the country home, the truck and the gooseneck trailer, I've had everything else, including the broken arm. I think we all wish we were joking. Wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

Bill
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:30 am

GPS tracking system
Hey at least I got that one! Had a nice recall pen and training table I built but had to trash it when I moved to CO.

As for finding a local brittany club the only thing within a reasonable drive is the Durango Kennel Club, the closest brittany club in CO is Denver (6-7hr drive THROUGH the rockies. Going to start Field Trialing in local trials this spring if we get through Force Fetch OK... That will be a short road to addiction I am sure. Is the Kennel Club even worth it I wonder? Probably all labs and a few poms

laxhcky4

Post by laxhcky4 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm in the same boat... 25 trying to make ends meet with student loans. Married so that makes decisions a bit tougher to drop cash on hunting/training. I feel like I have waaay too many hobbies. Avid deer hunter, went elk hunting in CO last fall, get a couple fishing trips in the summer, BWCA canoeing/camping, like to go snowboarding as well, been out to MT 4 times and CO 1 in the past 6 years.

I want another dog but the wife wants a kid...

I'm just trying to enjoy what I have and do it as much as I can.

I want an O/U real bad as well but I figure that 1000-2000 can fund a couple hunting trips for the time being.

Enjoy the ride!

deke

Post by deke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Same boat, 22 two dogs. House payment, truck payment, fiance payment..... thats a big payment, maybe i should downsize :lol:

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Lots of young folks already settling down it sounds like! I guess there are pros and cons for everything.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:56 pm

I would of never settled down, till i met her. And tasted her cooking. really sealed the deal right there.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:04 pm

deke wrote:I would of never settled down, till i met her. And tasted her cooking. really sealed the deal right there.
obviously you met the "right one" if she dont mind 22 dogs :o thats awesome!!..i dont see how any of us could be with someone who dont love dogs, i know i couldnt..that was my first question to my husband and if he would have said he didnt love em i would of kept on lookin :mrgreen: ...ruth

im 38, hubby is 43..we are both HOOKED..we have our own construction company..have no mortgage thanks to my bad back and a settlement..live comfortably and building a kennel on our new property 5 hours north of where we are now..new truck is coming soon, new trailer is in the works..enjoy waking up every day to my family and dogs..especially those crisp fall mornings with just a bit of fog :twisted: the best is yet to come!!...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:24 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:
deke wrote:I would of never settled down, till i met her. And tasted her cooking. really sealed the deal right there.
obviously you met the "right one" if she dont mind 22 dogs :o thats awesome!!..i dont see how any of us could be with someone who dont love dogs, i know i couldnt..that was my first question to my husband and if he would have said he didnt love em i would of kept on lookin :mrgreen: ...ruth

im 38, hubby is 43..we are both HOOKED..we have our own construction company..have no mortgage thanks to my bad back and a settlement..live comfortably and building a kennel on our new property 5 hours north of where we are now..new truck is coming soon, new trailer is in the works..enjoy waking up every day to my family and dogs..especially those crisp fall mornings with just a bit of fog :twisted: the best is yet to come!!...ruth

Well schnoobies!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:33 pm

isonychia wrote:After hunting with my dog for the first time I have become completely obsessed. Given its only been a couple of days of hunting and maybe I need to cool off, but I don't like where I see this going. First off I now live in a duplex (though in Colorado!) so this is where I see this going:

Lease some land or move to the country
Build a pigeon house
Get a truck with a dog box instead of my subaru forester
Get another dog (maybe a setter? Something with some grouse tradition, I would buy another brittany but I already have one!)
Get a new O/U
Loose some sleep

Maybe in 10 yrs with this economy! ... not sure what to do, can't even focus on watching a movie now. The funny thing is, no one in my family has a hunting dog and no one hunts/hunted except my uncle and grandfather who lived pretty far away from home. I think my grandfather used to have a brittany and hunted pheasant with it in PA. Either way, my immediate family would have nothing to do with hunting if it weren't for me. Now here I am with a bird dog, and am a newly avid turkey / big game hunter / fly-fisherman. Where on earth did I come from! The good news is that there seem to be a lot more people in their younger 20's here in CO who hunt than in NC, finding a fishing or hunting buddy at my age seems to be quiet the challenge, so far I've just been doing it solo.
Bad thing is just when you think you have about everything you could possibly need... well you find more! :lol:

norcalshoot

Post by norcalshoot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:59 pm

I too am in the same boat. 23, a 1YO gsp and I cant seem to think about anything but hunting! I am completely broke. I had a decent job as a automotive tech for 5 years but recently decided to change that to be a firefighter. I know how you feel about trying to find a hunting buddy though. Everyone i know close to my age is just into partying and playing video games. I am always trying to get people to go hunting with me and if i get someone to go they only go once and never again. I dont get it I live for this! I don't have any family who hunts either so that is not an option, Most of them are vegetarians anyway.
I drove through Durango CO this spring on a road trip with my grandpa. colorado is a beautiful state. Are there alot of upland game there? I might have to move their because Northern california where I live is all private property its hard to find a place to hunt birds other than duck over saltwater