Trainer ready?

ranchocueva

Trainer ready?

Post by ranchocueva » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:06 am

I have a 9 month old GSP male. I have been doing yard and field work with him. He has been introduced to birds and is pointing well, creeping about 25% of the time. His whoa and heel are ok but I'm having problems with recall. I am also having problems with keeping him to the front and quartering in the field. Due to lack of experience I am contemplating taking him to the trainer for a couple months. I don't want to cause any bad habits or let him get away from me. He is a very good pup but I feel he needs a more experienced hand. I would like to hunt some quail at the end of this season with him. Just wanted a few opinions. Is he too young for boarding training? Will the training be more beneficial than impairing? I plan on taking him to Dan Hendrickson in Abilene this weekend.

Thanks.

gotpointers

Re: Trainer ready?

Post by gotpointers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 am

You are on the right track. I have been out to dans place three times. He has never steered me wrong or sold me a dud. I have nine dogs from him and i am wanting him to take some to the dakotas with him next year.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:08 am

Let me know how that goes! I live in Ft. Worth and Abilene isnt too far away. I'm not looking for a trainer right now by any means, just will be curious how your expierience is. Hope all goes well! Thanks!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:15 am

Let us know how it goes, i live in abilene and have talked to another trainer in town (seemed gtg and a good guy) but i'd be interested to hear about other options.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

ranchocueva

Post by ranchocueva » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:21 am

I will keep you guys posted. I was wanting some opinions on sending such a young pup to the trainer. Wondering if I should just wait until his first season is over.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 am

i dont think 9 months is too young.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:52 am

If you're talking about full-up formal training...steady to wing, shot, and fall, on point and back...

I'd wait till the pup is at least 12 months old...give him a full season of hunting wild birds, then take him to the trainer.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:55 am

I think 9 months is the perfect time for working on recall and keeping the dog to the front. Might be a little early for formal bird work, but that depends on the individual dog. The recall and pattern are very important.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 pm

9 months I wouldn't have a second thought. Make sure you do a lot of homework on the trainer though. (i do not know him so don't take it personal).

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:56 pm

I would wait till next year unless you have lots of mulla to get rid of. The pup will learn more in the field this fall that can't be taught and next summer when there is nothing else to do the trainer would be perfect. Right now your pup is pretty much clueless about how, where , when , or why it is in the field. And that will change real fast with a few trips to the field and finding a few birds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bossman

Post by bossman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Since you want to hunt him toward the end of the season (Dec/Jan), his whoa is 'OK', having problems with the "recall" and you have a lack of "experience", I think now is a perfect time to take him to polish him on some of the basics. No need to steady him to wing & shot. When you take him hunting he will learn to stand if you don't shoot a bird unless he lets you flush. The trainer could continue his introduction to birds and the gun as well as maintaining a conditioning program for him. If you know the trainer or have references I would absolutely send him, just no pressure around birds. You would usually want to wait until a couple of frosts anyway to send the snakes to ground. After a good season of learning the ways of wild birds, send him back next year for his sophomore year of training. All this is jmo and good luck. Enjoy you dog!