1st Field Trial!

Onk

1st Field Trial!

Post by Onk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 pm

This last weekend I went to my first field trial and watched my pup run. Got to say I enjoyed the day watching the dogs and handlers, heck I kind of even enjoyed riding the horse. Plan on going to watch my second one here in a couple of weeks. Would really like to see a hunt test and a walking field trial as I don't see horses in my near future! Can see why people enjoy these events so much!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: 1st Field Trial!

Post by ultracarry » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:51 pm

They ain't so bad after all lol. How did your dog do?

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:29 pm

My pup was in the middle of the pack out of 12 pups in the field. Handler said it was a hard field to judge as all the pups about ran the same. Most of the field they ran in was around 3 foot tall grass so there were not many lines for the pups to run. You could tell none of them had much exposure to those type conditions. All in all I thought Dex did ok, but what do I know it was my first time! :D

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:54 pm

It is hard when the pups aren't sure what is going on and the grass is taller then they are.

Once they run a couple braces they start to learn the game.

What dd you think of the older dogs

also on some walking formats www.nstra.org see what trials are in your area

then www.akc.org under events you can search hunt tests
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:52 am

Puppy stakes are fun. If he is in the middle of the pack its pretty good considering he hasn't had much exposure to the horses and people following him in a group.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:02 am

Glad you had fun! If your close enough and have time I am hosting the Brown County FTC walking trial Oct 15 weekend. Give me a call if you want more details!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:29 am

The Showme Vizsla Club has a walking field trial and a hunt test in Lee's Summit, just outside KC. You'd like those folks, they're nice people. Just do a search on the AKC site for the events.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:40 pm

What I saw of the older dogs was pretty cool, of course they seemed amazingly fast! Thanks for all the info!