Anyone use this trap?

DogNewbie

Anyone use this trap?

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 am

I'm looking for a pigeon trap and I've hear that people have problems with pigeons escaping some traps. This one seems to have received some good review on GDS. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with it?
Thanks!

Tim

http://www.gundogsupply.com/-3728-.html

pinebrookkennel

Re: Anyone use this trap?

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:48 am

Tim
I have had no problems with mine. I've never had a bird get out of the trap. The door latch on top is a pain sometimes if your alone
Tying to load a bird. If you fund a good spot it may only trap four or five birds @ one time due to its small size. On the up side
It fit in the trunk of a car or the back seat.
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:01 am

pinebrookkennel wrote:Tim
I have had no problems with mine. I've never had a bird get out of the trap. The door latch on top is a pain sometimes if your alone
Tying to load a bird. If you fund a good spot it may only trap four or five birds @ one time due to its small size. On the up side
It fit in the trunk of a car or the back seat.
Well, at the moment I'm only trapping for one dog so four or five birds at a time should be alright. I found a parking garage that's on my way to work and every day I see 8 - 10 pigeons sitting on the road lights over looking the garage. Figured I might be able to get some up there. Do you just use corn bait?

Tim

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:04 am

What are the laws concerning trapping flying rats in the city?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:11 am

isonychia wrote:What are the laws concerning trapping flying rats in the city?
haha, I haven't checked. I'm a bit worried I won't like what I find out so I figured if I never find out I can always play dumb when I get caught.... :D

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 am

I find it hard to believe a city is going to care about people trapping pigeons though. They've got enough of them...

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:22 am

If there is no mention of trapping pigeons in the DNR trapping regs, does that cover me? Or is it city by city?

Tim

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:26 am

I use that trap, it took me a while to figure out the best way to set-up at a new location. I use a pie-tin, fill it with feed and set it so the bobs rest in the pie tin. If I go back and the feed is gone, but the trap is empty, I move the pie tin back into the trap and refill. This seems to be the fastest way to get them to trap

One other tip. I hated having to store pigeons at my house. So I put a waterer in the trap and only go get birds on the days I want to train.

It also helps to leave one pigeon in the trap...

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:29 am

troutbum13 wrote:I use that trap, it took me a while to figure out the best way to set-up at a new location. I use a pie-tin, fill it with feed and set it so the bobs rest in the pie tin. If I go back and the feed is gone, but the trap is empty, I move the pie tin back into the trap and refill. This seems to be the fastest way to get them to trap

One other tip. I hated having to store pigeons at my house. So I put a waterer in the trap and only go get birds on the days I want to train.

It also helps to leave one pigeon in the trap...
That's a good idea. You just up a water bowl in there or what?

troutbum13

Post by troutbum13 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:58 am

I tried a bowl, but the birds would try and perch on it and end up tipping it. They don't carry the one I have any more, but it is similar to this.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/pc-w-kit-waterer.html

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Pigeons, along with European starlings and English sparrows, are considered non-native species in the United States and are not covered by migratory bird laws. Individual state or local laws may apply to their control under pest or nuisance wildlife rules.

We use a Pied Piper trap.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

pinebrookkennel

Post by pinebrookkennel » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes corn works well I've used it in the trap. I lined the bottom with cardbaord so the corn didn't fall through.
The best way I have found is if you have a bird too put in the trap other birds will go in. This way you don't
have to bob train them. Put one bird in trap add bait, set. One tip I have is set it as high as you can get bird
like to perch up high. As far as water, as long as you don't let the trap set more than two day you will be fine.
Try to hide your trap if your putting it out in the city the do gooders will at worst let your trapped birds out
or call the cops on you. :roll:
Make no distinction between practice and combat !
Miyamoto Musashi.
Knowledge, once gained can never be stolen or repossessed.
Jered