Trial gunner needs advice please

Scott Linden

Trial gunner needs advice please

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:59 pm

I've been lucky to be asked periodically to gun at hunt tests, obviously by people who have never seen me shoot on TV! I love helping sponsor clubs, being that close to the action and seeing the great dog work. I learn a lot, as I'm sure you do too, if you participate or help out. This Sunday, it's an AKC field test, so a bit different. I've improvised pretty well in the past, being careful about what to do and where, etc., and I review the rules and understand them pretty much. But as with anything competitive and high-stress there are plenty of unwritten rules, and I'd like to be mindful of them. Clue me in! Thanks.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Trial gunner needs advice please

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:02 pm

A field trial? Is it kill on course or callback you'll be gunning?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Don;t show up the local hotshot unless you don;t want to be invited back!

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:A field trial? Is it kill on course or callback you'll be gunning?
I would presume the former.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:31 pm

Fireside wrote:Don;t show up the local hotshot unless you don;t want to be invited back!
Seldom a problem with me.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:29 am

I have done this a few times for the AKC tests. They require a break action shotgun, No semis no pumps. I watched a short safety video before going out.
I thought it was going to be fun but it ended up with a lot of stress, always worried about hitting the bird and not the judges, having to make sure the other competitor and gunner are also in the clear. Also shots in the direction of camp. The last time I was using a new to me SxS with an automatic safety that had to be disengaged every time the action is closed. (I have this auto feature removed on my regular guns). The GSP I was gunning for deserved to win but when the bird came up I squeezed and nothing happened. After that the dog came a little unglued and started busting birds. I felt bad for the handler who was a pretty nice guy and spent a lot of money and time driving down from colorado. I did make it known right away to the handler and the judge that i screwed up.
The rest of the shots went well with the other competitors. Often the birds would not fly and I would be instructed to take em on the ground. Not sporting, Not fun but at least the pressure is off of me to make a clean kill on a flying bird with so many obstacles.
Just a few tips, Dont close the action until everyone is ready for the shot, just stay back and pay attention to the handler to direct you where he wants you to be. Most of them dont want you to walk up behind their dog thats on point. The judges are going to get positioned behind you for the shot. The birds are often pen raised birds and they wont flush away like a wild bird. Ive seen them flush and loop back right at the judges. The handler is going to do everything he can to stay out of the way also once he flushes the bird.
Take the safe option and try to have fun

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:32 am

Thanks gotpointers. I know the feeling!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:43 am

Use a 20 or 28 gauge, give the bird time to get up and don't race to shoot it. You'll hit more and give the dog a whole bird to retrieve instead of pieces...

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:11 am

One AKC says 20 gauge or 12. The 28's are not allowed per rules. I've even watched them use pumps.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Assuming that your talking about boyce corral tomorrow....if so its call backs. The birds don't want to fly at all. Didn't fly worth crap today.....so ground sluecing will probably be on the ticket. Break action gun..be safe...don't stress. Ill be gunning with you....

Michael and athena

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Lol my dog ran out at boyce corral Friday and Saturday and is done for the weekend....

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Callbacks only and not very many. Still a good time, new and old friends, so worth the trip. Did pick up a few tips out there as well as all yours. Blaze required in fairly large quantities. The sluice or not to sluice question is up to each handler, so best to ask prior to each go-round. Miss a bird? Tell the handler in as few words as possible - ideally, "no," which also reinforces "whoa." Hit one? Hustle behind the handler and turn your back on him and the dog. Finally, keep your sense of humor because a lot of handlers won't have one!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:47 pm

Not to hard being a gunner. Just remember you need to check where everythig is before you go the front of the dog. If you don't think you have a safe shot, don't take it. At Oregon trials, that means Boyce Corralls, all I ever saw them use for birds were chukars. If you have a 12ga SxS or O/U, I'd suggesr using that. Then get target loads with no bigger than 7 1/2 shot, better 8. Both will kill a pen raised chukar very well. Target loads are easier on the gunner and they have smaller shot which puts more shot in the air, better chance at hitting the bird. Your probably gonna be asked by the handler, "up or down". Most gunners tell thel but the rules say your not supposed to. They ask because they weren't watching the bird, they were watching their dog. Do let the handler tell you where he wants you. If he doesn't volenteer, ask. When the bird is down, go back behind the handler, make sure you don't interfer with his dog on the retrieve.

One more thought, don't blow the bird up in front of the dog. Let it get out a ways before you shoot it. Nothing worse than a blown up bird, looking like a blown up feather pillow, that a dog refuse's to pick up. One time I had a bird circle pretty quick and go between me and the gallery and judge. Put the gun down and fallow the bird, if it clears and is a safe shot, then take. But, don't swing a loaded mounted gun by anybody.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 am

Don't shoot and run - after shooting the bird, wait until the dog runs past you before you move behind the handler. If you move before the dog runs past you then if the dog marked the bird off your gun position you put the dog at a disadvantage, and also your movement causes an unnecessary - and unwelcome - distraction for the dog. A good handler handles his or her gunners as well as the dog, and will tell you where they want you and which direction they want to flush the bird. Let the judges correct the handler if they get out of line.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:08 am

All good advice, especially the last 2 posts, although I don't think the rules say you can't tell the handler if you hit the bird or not. I couldn't find it written down and never had a gunner refuse to tell me either way. You definitely can NOT help the handler flush the bird, though.
Take the handler's lead. Don't walk up before they do, let them tell you where they want you to go. You definitely do not want to walk in too quickly or in the wrong place, knock the bird up, and take the handler's dog out in the process. :)

Other than that, if you take safe shots and hit your mark, you'll be fine.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:58 pm

lot's of good advice here......always be safe and when you do take a shot......don't miss. :D

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Some handlers will ask to be informed when the bird is down. I do. I am watching my dog and not the bird. I hear 1,2,3 or 4 shots (yeah I know) and I still don't know if bird is down. I have screwed myself several times watching bird and not dog for that very reason. Stupid, stupid handler....

The sense of humor thing is a must. But understand that most handlers are either nervous as all get out or concentrating on not screwing it up like I did and are in no mood to joke - until it is over.

You're a hero or a zero when gunning, but I still love doing it.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520