Hardest Gamebirds

CowboyBirdDogs

Hardest Gamebirds

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

In your opinion, what are the top 5 hardest gamebirds for a bird dog to handle? 1 being the hardest. I've only had the opportunity to hunt pheasant and bobwhite quial so far, just curious as to what more experienced hunters and bird doggers will say!

Thanks!

gittrdonebritts

Re: Hardest Gamebirds

Post by gittrdonebritts » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:12 pm

this thread is sure to cause a fight and with how dull the board has been lately I can't wait to watch it ! :twisted: :twisted:
I'm in the same boat as you only ever hunted Phez and quail.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:13 pm

Ruffed grouse, woodcock and pheasant take lots of experience for the dog to handle.
We don't have 5 gamebirds in Ontario, so that's the best I can do.:)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37 pm

I was going to make a joke, but it didn't work out to well for me over on the Elhew thread so i'll just keep my mouth shut. :oops:

p.s. I've never hunted birds with dogs so i wouldn't know.

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:42 pm

For pointing dogs:

1. Snipe (by far)
2. Ruffed grouse
3. Pheasants
4. Sharptail grouse
5. Huns

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Huns, Pheasants. I always thought quail and woodcock were gimmes, great birds to start a pup on. The rest I do not have enough experience on.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:52 pm

Out of the gamebirds i have hunted....here is how i would list from hardest to easiest

#1 pheasant - Here in oregon pheasants like to run, run, run, they are wily...hard to pin, hard to hold...They seem to win more then the dog.
#2 everything else....valley quail can be tough in the fact that here they often run in huge coveys.....so a dog has to learn how to distinguish the older scent from the freshest bird scent, and slow down and really work through the cover as to not run by some, it can be very distracting for younger dogs as quail are running,fluttering and flying everywhere in every direction....Chukars and huns are fairly easy for the dog as long as it doesn't have a habit of crowding birds, if they are preserve dogs then forget about it....generally speaking where i hunt the dog had better be standing the covey from at least 25-30yds away if your hoping to get a shot...

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Wild Turkeys (not pen raised)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm amazed someone mentioned snipe, one of my favorites ! A good lookin dog will look like a million when he figures out snipe. Or at least a couple hundred thou :D

The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:05 pm

#1 has to be Ruff Grouse

#2 This would be Valley and Mountain Quail. They are in big covey's. To get them to hold at all you need to break up the covey.

#3 Pheasant. But I have to say also that in the beets and other heavy cover they seen pretty easy to me.

#4 Huns. Another covey bird. But smaller covey's. You bust them up and they pretty much stay together. A good dog wouldn't bump them as easy as the the Quail and grouse.

#5 Would have to be for me, Chukar. Tuffest thing about them though is the country they live it. Generally covey's aren't as big as Quail. Other than the country, it could be Huns/Chukars or Chukar/ Huns.

I've never hunted Snipe or Sharptails, Woodcock or chickens so haven't a clue on them.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

djloder

Post by djloder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:25 pm

1. Ruff's

2. Hun's

3. Phez

4. Sharpies

5. Woodcock

Only bird's I have hunted with dog's.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:35 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Huns, Pheasants. I always thought quail and woodcock were gimmes, great birds to start a pup on. The rest I do not have enough experience on.

Ezzy
Go try some Mearns, Scales or Blues then tell me how easy they are :lol: Prairie Chickens are worthy adversary as well
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Retiredbirddogman

Post by Retiredbirddogman » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 pm

1- Grouse
2- Late season sharp tail
3- Lake season pheasant
4- P chickens
5- Huns

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:25 pm

I've never thought phez was hard to hunt. I grew up in Cal, and hunted rice fields and cheks. Always had a dog to hold point on the bird so it didn't run. I would say Chukar is the hardest to hunt. Since moving to Utah, I've hunted Chukar a hand full of times and will say their habitat is difficult to hunt.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:02 pm

djloder wrote:1. Ruff's

2. Hun's

3. Phez

4. Sharpies

5. Woodcock

Only bird's I have hunted with dog's.
+1 (and in that EXACT same order!)

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:58 am

eastern ruffed grouse for sure, woodcock the easiest the few I have seen in nj you could pretty much walk up to them without them moving

tn red

Post by tn red » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:13 am

Anyone here ever harvested a Himalayan snow cock?

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 am

tn red wrote:Anyone here ever harvested a Himalayan snow cock?
Are they white and found in alaska?

I too am curious how woodcock would make anybody's list for hardest gamebirds to hunt. From my experience they hold very tight and are easy to hunt.
Last edited by Ron R on Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:12 am

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:19 am

After the "City Boys" come out and take the yearlings, come on out to hunt some gambels or scalies (they don't call 'em grey ghosts for nothing) in January. For lunch we'll stop at the Humble Pie Bar and Grill and I'll buy if you've got your limit.

asc

Post by asc » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:39 am

#1. NEIGHBORS CHICKENS... :roll:
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for all the responses! I was wondering where pheasant ranked on everyones list, seems like my dogs have at least been on one of the harder birds to hunt so at least we have that under our belts. I'm just curious what birds hunters find harder to hunt that others. I didn't see mention of blue quail or mearns. I'm really looking forward to chasing some of these birds like chukar, huns and sharpies!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:16 am

1.) Late season pheasants/ snipe. My dogs don't seem to even think snipe are game birds.

2.) Ruffs

3.) Prairie chickens after the first 2 weeks of season.

4.) Scaled quail

5.) Huns
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:33 pm

ElectricShorthairs wrote:Thanks for all the responses! I was wondering where pheasant ranked on everyones list, seems like my dogs have at least been on one of the harder birds to hunt so at least we have that under our belts. I'm just curious what birds hunters find harder to hunt that others. I didn't see mention of blue quail or mearns. I'm really looking forward to chasing some of these birds like chukar, huns and sharpies!
Georgia Boy wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Huns, Pheasants. I always thought quail and woodcock were gimmes, great birds to start a pup on. The rest I do not have enough experience on.

Ezzy
Go try some Mearns, Scales or Blues then tell me how easy they are :lol: Prairie Chickens are worthy adversary as well
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:08 am

Notice the feathers on the back of this guys neck? He is the sentry for the covey that was in and around the bush. He is about 5-6 feet above the ground, watching down-wind. It's mighty tough for a dog to even get close enough to get their scent. Gambels quail like this one love to run, then flush, then run some more. The coveys that survive the first month of the season (and have been worked a few times) are usually quite a challenge for any dog.
Last year in this same general area, before the season opened I worked my pups on a big covey of scalies (blues, or cotton-tops) whatever you want to call them. There must have been 50-60 birds, and we found the birds pretty consistently every other day. No shooting, just pups chasing, then pointing, and even an honor or two. The Monday following the season's opening weekend, I took the pups back, only to find a lot of carcasses of the birds (the breasts were removed) by the water tank close to where we parked. Must of been 4-5 guys and their bazookas (12 ga) found them and totally wiped them out. We never did find the covey again the entire season.
So, I guess those guys would say that quail are a "Gimme". It's probably the same with every upland bird we hunt.. if you have enough guns in the field the birds don't stand a chance!

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:24 am

1. Snipe by far

2. Late season sharpies

3. Ruffs in the wind

4. Phez in thin CRP

5. late season Gambles

I couldn't include huns....once they have fed and move to cover, they are one of the best birds to work with dogs....they don't like to leave those plum thickets or the grassy edges and will hold well .... just don't find enough of them...before 1994 in the Dakotas, I could move 6-8 covies/day.

Waterdogs1

Post by Waterdogs1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 am

Chukers I think are hard. A good lab will kill pheasants and grouse. I guess are grouse are stupid. I think wild chukers are the toughest in my area.
http://cottonwoodretrievers.com/ "Our Passion is Retrievers"