English Pointer Tail

ChukarCountry

English Pointer Tail

Post by ChukarCountry » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:54 pm

I have a ten week old English Pointer female and sometimes she has a nice straight tail and then other times she lets it hang there. In the past my other pointers tail's were straight early on. At what age should a pointers tail start to gain strength and stand straight all the time?

Thanks
Coming soon
www.chukarcountry.com
A website that is in the works for my gundogs

QuailHollow

Re: English Pointer Tail

Post by QuailHollow » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:55 am

I don't think you'll have a problem. I attached a picture of Drake when he was 12 weeks old. Then a casual pic of him in the snow and .. a hunting photo. He's almost 4 now. I remember when he was a pup his tail was like a limp noodle. It was long and looked like a piece of spaghetti wagging around. He outgrew it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:25 pm

I had a litter of 10 last year and as little pups some had more muscle control than others but all ended up pretty nice and straight at the end. i don't think ya got anything to worry about as long as the sire and dam had nice straight tails the pups should aproximate that when they mature

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:06 pm

ChukarCountry wrote:I have a ten week old English Pointer female and sometimes she has a nice straight tail and then other times she lets it hang there. In the past my other pointers tail's were straight early on. At what age should a pointers tail start to gain strength and stand straight all the time?

Thanks
I would look to the parents to determine whether to worry or not. If both parents have high tails, let the pup grow into their tail. If either of the parents point with a low or limp tail, then I would say your pup has their genetics. Depends on the knowledge of the genetics from which the pup came from.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:36 am

Sometimes, a young pup just has too much tail for their body.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:34 am

A 12 o'clock tail is something I was obsessed with 4 years ago. I have learned that most dogs don't point perfect everytime. A tail can and will change with age up to over a year old, as their muscles develop. Some dogs will pull their tail on pidgeons but 12 o'clock on quail.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:20 pm

Squirt has a lazy tail. He can snap it right up but doesn't do it all the time. Bodie on the other hand has anything but a lazy tail. I think the reason for a difference in tail between pigeons and game birds is that the dog understands the difference between a traning bird and a wild bird. I get the same response for either with my dogs and I think it's from the way I use remote launchers. The dog so much as blinks an eye and I pop the bird out on it. I think that if you do all your training on pen raised birds that fly well you'll find the same thing. It's, IMO, only the difference between training birds and wild birds.

This is Bodie at four years on a pigeon.

Squirt at four years on a pigeon.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Those are beautiful setters. What is their breeding?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Sharon wrote:Those are beautiful setters. What is their breeding?
Thank you Sharon. They are 3/4 Tekoa Mt. and 1/4 smith. That's what the breeder told me. Pedigree's are like the who's who of the setter world. had to be force broke to retrieve, would not retrieve at all. BTW. the breeder picked them out. I told him I wanted males and they had to be mostly white and orange. Bodie was the only o/w in his litter and Squirt was the left over. The breeder put a photo of Bodie in his brochere.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:51 pm

Those really are some beautiful pictures Don!! If I am understanding you correctly about the difference between training birds and wild birds, I agree with you. I think the only real difference with training birds is the way they are presented or method in which they are used.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:39 pm

birddogger wrote:Those really are some beautiful pictures Don!! If I am understanding you correctly about the difference between training birds and wild birds, I agree with you. I think the only real difference with training birds is the way they are presented or method in which they are used.

Charlie
Could you please explain your post? I do not undertand what you mean by you comment "in which they are used".

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:46 pm

birddogger wrote:Those really are some beautiful pictures Don!! If I am understanding you correctly about the difference between training birds and wild birds, I agree with you. I think the only real difference with training birds is the way they are presented or method in which they are used.

Charlie
Absolutely!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:51 pm

Birddog3412 wrote:

Charlie
Could you please explain your post? I do not undertand what you mean by you comment "in which they are used".
If you are using piegons you can make them act like training birds or wild birds, that is up to you. If you train on pen raised birds unless you got some fabious birds, they are not going to act like wild birds. They will allow the dog to do things a wild bird will not allow. With piegons in a trap it's like wild birds you can control. Pen birds in a trap won't do that. A piegon coming out, flys away. Pen raise may fly off a bit or may go up and right back down. The pen raised bird lands on the ground usually after a short flight, the piegon either lands in a tree, a phone line or goes home. Your dog catches a piegons, it's your fault.