thinning out varmints

jimbo&rooster

thinning out varmints

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:47 am

My father in law has basically given me 100acres of his farm to turn into habitat, due to a wet spring we only got about half of it planted into CRP and the other half is about 60acres of foxtail. the quail seem to love the foxtail and I busted 2 10-20bird coveys out of it while i was mowing it into squares the other day.

I have seen a ton of coon, possum, and coyote sign on this particular area as well as a few ferel dogs and cats. I know that i will never thin them out completely but what is the best way to keep these vagrants in check? I dont have hounds anymore but have several buddies who do. I'm guessing that will only help with the coons (no one wants to admit their coon hound will tree a possum :D ). i do have several dozen traps stored from when I was in middle school. Would I be better off to just run a trap line?

what has been ya'lls experience with dealing with predators? I have adopted a shoot on sight strategy for possums coons and ditch tigers but that might be 5-6 a year.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Bird Dog 67

Re: thinning out varmints

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:53 am

I think you hit on the best way to go about it.............get the word out that you have some acreage that you will open to predator and coon hunting. Upon meeting those that you are going to allow on the land ask that they help you out with the cats and possum if/when you see them.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 am

For coons, a pile of corn, spotlight, .22lr rifle, bulk box of ammo.....blast the night away (IF LEGAL IN YOUR STATE...it is in Texas)

For other varmints you can call (coons will come to calls too) or you could use bait (some sort of dead animal) and repeat the above formula. You could also set traps and snares.

But please check your local game laws first, some states classify these animals as "fur bearers" and you need a license or theres a special season for them. (dont want to get you in trouble)
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:01 am

I'd be carefull with the traps, they will also catch your dog!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 am

DonF wrote:I'd be carefull with the traps, they will also catch your dog!
How do you figure?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-garde ... n--5132014

You dont have to use leg hold traps.....just sayin.
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:04 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:My father in law has basically given me 100acres of his farm to turn into habitat, due to a wet spring we only got about half of it planted into CRP and the other half is about 60acres of foxtail. the quail seem to love the foxtail and I busted 2 10-20bird coveys out of it while i was mowing it into squares the other day.

I have seen a ton of coon, possum, and coyote sign on this particular area as well as a few ferel dogs and cats. I know that i will never thin them out completely but what is the best way to keep these vagrants in check? I dont have hounds anymore but have several buddies who do. I'm guessing that will only help with the coons (no one wants to admit their coon hound will tree a possum :D ). i do have several dozen traps stored from when I was in middle school. Would I be better off to just run a trap line?

what has been ya'lls experience with dealing with predators? I have adopted a shoot on sight strategy for possums coons and ditch tigers but that might be 5-6 a year.

Jim
Get two Patterdale or Jagd Terriers, but never three.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 am

JWP58 wrote:
DonF wrote:I'd be carefull with the traps, they will also catch your dog!
How do you figure?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/lawn-garde ... n--5132014

You dont have to use leg hold traps.....just sayin.
Your kiding, right?
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:59 am

I vote Akbash since wild and feral canids are an issue. Just make sure you can pen it up when you run your dogs.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:21 am

Cajun Casey wrote:I vote Akbash since wild and feral canids are an issue. Just make sure you can pen it up when you run your dogs.
Komondor?? :D

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:46 am

mcbosco wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:I vote Akbash since wild and feral canids are an issue. Just make sure you can pen it up when you run your dogs.
Komondor?? :D
Komondorok cannot run down canids the way Akbash can. I don't know of too many working Komondorok available in the mid-US, anyway.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:09 am

I had a Jagd terrier when I was a kid as well as a couple of airedales that were rough on critters around my folks farm, but I'm pretty sure that the next dog I bring home will more than likely cost me half my stuff :D .

Im thinking real hard about running a trap line a couple of days a week and getting some of my buddies with coon hounds to come give it a shot. I don't know that I can ever make enough of a impact on the population to make a difference but it cant hurt to try.

Sure wish fur prices would come back up.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:24 am

Host a youth coon hunt in the area - kids will love it and the coon hunters will show up in force to help. Not to be a downer, but research shows that most furbearers that are "spot" trapped on small areas like this take only about 30 days for another one to come in where you removed the original animal. The better the habitat for the birds, the more likely they are to survive, regardless of the predators.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:14 pm

JWP58 wrote:For coons, a pile of corn, spotlight, .22lr rifle, bulk box of ammo.....blast the night away (IF LEGAL IN YOUR STATE...it is in Texas)
God Bless Texas!!!

GSPTrigger

Post by GSPTrigger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:12 pm

Well also being a gun dog enthusiast I am a trapper and I can say that trapping will take care of all your varmint problems when done correctly by an experienced trapper. I often take care of problem coyotes and coons for local farmers and trapping seems to be the quickest and most time efficient way. I would keep in mind that no matter how you do it this will be something that needs to be managed every year or every other year depending on your varmint population.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:28 am

JWP58 wrote:For coons, a pile of corn, spotlight, .22lr rifle, bulk box of ammo.....blast the night away (IF LEGAL IN YOUR STATE...it is in Texas)
of course it's legal in Texas...If you live in a state that allows high fencing, I'm sure it won't have a problem with this method..haha leave it to Texas