Not sure where to go from here? Opinions needed!

seuss79

Not sure where to go from here? Opinions needed!

Post by seuss79 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:43 pm

We moved to the country in the summer. Originally we lived in town. At first our 3.5 year old male brittany seemed to make the adjustment with us. Now we are having problems. It has gotten to the point I cannot let him outside without him running off. From June to the middle of Sept he stayed in the yard. Not anymore. Now it's a beeline down the road to the neighbors or in the woods. Somewhere! Then I have to chase him because he doesn't come anymore when called.

I have considered an underground electric fence but I do not know if this will solve my problem. Squirrels, deer, birds, and every other type of wildlife is out here and I think he will run past if in chase.

Also our lifestyle has changed now that my wife goes to school full time, along with my full time job that does not allow us to spend the time we need with him. I feel guilty and bad that he is kenneled 8hours a day when no one is home.

I am completely confused as to where to go from here. I have almost decided it would be better to find another owner for the dog that could actually take the time needed to keep him in check. With us being gone so much, Louie would probably happier in the long run. The problem with that though is that my kids (8 and 2) love him to death as do we. And finding a new home that I could trust for him to go to. I just feel like we are not giving him what he needs now though and it's not fair to him.

I know this thread is about two different topics really but like I said I am lost right now.

Please, any and all opinions are welcome because I don't know what to do!!! I'll be checking back later tonight after I get done with some work.

Redfishkilla

Re: Not sure where to go from here? Opinions needed!

Post by Redfishkilla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:50 pm

Post of picture of him, teach the older kid to walk him. You gotta get em exercise. E-collar?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Dogs love kennels.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Is it out of the question to put up a fence?

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:45 pm

I had an e-fence at my last place. Gunner would run through and chase deer, got it turned up again and again and then finally bought the tough dog collar which zapped the holy poop outta him and he stayed in ever since.

Totally worth the investment.

FWIW, it was about 1600 to fence in 2 acres.
Jackie & Gunner

Impressive Gewehr von Catskill - GSP - 4/19/2010
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3615

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:36 pm

Redfishkilla wrote:Post of picture of him, teach the older kid to walk him. You gotta get em exercise. E-collar?
He takes my 8 year old girl for "walks," rather he pulls her all over the place when on a leash. He has been getting out until the past couple of weeks now that he has decided to run off every time we go outside.

As far as an E collar, he knows when it is on him and off of him. Maybe I'm too soft, but I can't imagine that box being comfortable on him all the time. It is definantly something I need to try again. But the dilemma I see with that is the wife will not use it. She absolutely refuses. So it could solve my problem when I'm home but not when I'm gone.
Cajun Casey wrote:Dogs love kennels.
Not Louie. The only time I have ever seen him in his kennel is when we put him in there to go somewhere.
Greg Jennings wrote:Is it out of the question to put up a fence?
Yes. Now that I am back in God's country, corn fields and woods are my fence. Not to mention I don't have the funds to put up a fence on 2.5 acres.
jmsgunner wrote:I had an e-fence at my last place. Gunner would run through and chase deer, got it turned up again and again and then finally bought the tough dog collar which zapped the holy poop outta him and he stayed in ever since.

FWIW, it was about 1600 to fence in 2 acres
This is what scares me about this type of fence. I will have to look into the tough dog collar one but that is awful expensive compared to others that I've seen. Is that the installation as well?

Just being able to post on here and here opinions actually is relieving my stress about this so Thank you all for that already.

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

jmsgunner wrote:I had an e-fence at my last place. Gunner would run through and chase deer, got it turned up again and again and then finally bought the tough dog collar which zapped the holy poop outta him and he stayed in ever since.

Okay, not to sound like a dummy or anything but I just did a quick google search and all I found for tough dog collar was leather collars with spikes. No electric fences with that name.

Could you tell me if that is the name brand or is it something else?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:54 pm

Try Stubborn Dog Receiver by Pet Safe.

KellyM87

Post by KellyM87 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:00 pm

why do you have to fence in 2 and a half acres? why not a smaller area or a pen... somewhere he can get out and go potty....

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:08 pm

I think he is talking about a crate...

It seems to me that you can easily get some fencing materials and make him a nice "back yard sized" fence with a top on it to let him stay in while your gone.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm

as for the dog walking you daughter, my dogs like to walk my daughter too. So ran down to petsmart and bought a pinch collar. Let your dog hit the end of that and I promise heal is a very easy command. My 10 year old can walk any of our dogs and they don't dare hit the end of the leash. My boxer cost my wife an elbow surgery due to her antics. See her with my daughter and you would think she is one of the best well mannered 60 lb dogs you ever saw.

You have to stop letting your dog teach you. Get back the control and train your dog. There is alot of equipment out there to use. Get your dog back or find some professional help.

Joe

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Here's the in-ground system I was referring to. I think Invisible Fence and DogWatch both have stronger units, also.

http://www.petsafe.net/products/fencing ... ound-fence

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:01 am

seuss79 wrote:
Redfishkilla wrote:Post of picture of him, teach the older kid to walk him. You gotta get em exercise. E-collar?
He takes my 8 year old girl for "walks," rather he pulls her all over the place when on a leash. He has been getting out until the past couple of weeks now that he has decided to run off every time we go outside.

As far as an E collar, he knows when it is on him and off of him. Maybe I'm too soft, but I can't imagine that box being comfortable on him all the time. It is definantly something I need to try again. But the dilemma I see with that is the wife will not use it. She absolutely refuses. So it could solve my problem when I'm home but not when I'm gone.
Not Louie. The only time I have ever seen him in his kennel is when we put him in there to go somewhere.
Greg Jennings wrote:Is it out of the question to put up a fence?

Yes. Now that I am back in God's country, corn fields and woods are my fence. Not to mention I don't have the funds to put up a fence on 2.5 acres.

FWIW, it was about 1600 to fence in 2 acres
This is what scares me about this type of fence. I will have to look into the tough dog collar one but that is awful expensive compared to others that I've seen. Is that the installation as well?

Just being able to post on here and here opinions actually is relieving my stress about this so Thank you all for that already.

Yes that was the fence, collar, and installation.
Jackie & Gunner

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:03 am

seuss79 wrote:

Okay, not to sound like a dummy or anything but I just did a quick google search and all I found for tough dog collar was leather collars with spikes. No electric fences with that name.

Could you tell me if that is the name brand or is it something else?
The company I used is called Canine Safety Systems - Pet Stop brand I suppose. Invisible Fence brand was more expensive.

Seriously, it was worth it.... there is no way I could've afforded to do a 6ft fence around my entire property.

The only collar that worked on Gunny is the one that shocked him for six seconds after he crossed through... I think he only did it twice before he decided it wasn't worth it and it was 100% effective after that.
Jackie & Gunner

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:14 am

Can you erect an 8x10 run (or smaller) throw a cover on top,place a kennel inside along with food/water bowls?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 am

I bought a PetSafe system for around $300 and installed myself.

They also make wireless systems that you might want to look at (if you can get a stuborn dog collar with it). They send out a signal in a circle and the dog gets a correction when he leaves the circle.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:30 am

adogslife wrote:Can you erect an 8x10 run (or smaller) throw a cover on top,place a kennel inside along with food/water bowls?
Now what kind of answer is that? Do that and the problem will cease to exist and we'll have nothing to talk about! :roll:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 pm

Cheaper than that is a dog run. We use a very primitive one that can be installed for less than $100. Rubber coated cable, a sturdy stake and a couple snap swivels and you are in business.

On a side note. I would teach that dog boundaries - with a cord and then an e-collar overlaying. We live on 50 acres in the middle of nowhere but my dogs are good about staying within our boundaries when I am outside with them. When I am not, they aren't because they don't think the boss is watching.

Respect for the boundaries. Respect for the here/come command. And an affordable solution for when you can't pay 100% attention to the dog. Undergrounds fences, in my opinion are not an option. A run is just as good at that point.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:15 pm

DonF wrote:
adogslife wrote:Can you erect an 8x10 run (or smaller) throw a cover on top,place a kennel inside along with food/water bowls?
Now what kind of answer is that? Do that and the problem will cease to exist and we'll have nothing to talk about! :roll:
This is what I was suggesting. Those of us that live the suburban life cant build a run but we have a fence. Those of you that are lucy enough to have a good chunk of land can build runs and have no fence. Thats the way it goes... one day I will have a run with no fence... and that will be a glorious day!

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:06 pm

I am planning on putting an 8x10 fenced in area next to the garage so he does not have to be in a crate/kennel all day. That is one of the many things I have to do at the new place. As far as actually fencing a part of the yard, I'm not doing that. Part of living in the country to me is not actually having a fence.

Since many of you have said the electric fence type works I am going to try one. I will be pricing them and plan to go with the best I can afford. Now I just need to figure out where the stubborn collar is sold at. I didn't see it in the LCS catalog this morning. The pet safe site says to enter my zip and they give me menards as a supplier. I don't ever remember seeing it there though. I will have to double check.

As far as him learning boundaries, it seemed he knew them from June to the middle of Sept. It is only now that he has seem to forgotten. You should see him when he is in the house looking outside the window. Constantly shaking from excitement wanting to go and chase the squirrels in the trees he sees. He paces back and forth all day long. I was just thinking though, that after it gets dark, he doesn't stray. He goes outside without me and comes right back.

Looks like I will have another project in one of the next couple of weekends. I've read that using an edger to open the ground and push the wire down with a stick works pretty good. Anybody try this or anything else to get the wire in the ground?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:36 pm

And I am sure you know and have thought it out carefully that the electric fence with any collar is not going to have any effect on and dog, coyote or other animal that comes into your yard to attack your dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jmsgunner

Post by jmsgunner » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:31 am

Seuss... The stubborn collar is per fence not just one you buy willy nilly somewhere. He may not NEED a stubborn dog collar if he respects your training on the fence. You can always turn them up and then go with an alternative stubborn collar (if your fence brand offers it)

My problem was specifically deer - dog hates them and didn't like them in, near, or around "HIS" yard. If there were no deer - he stayed inside. I needed to break that though because I lived right by state game lands, literally on the same road. I couldn't have my dog run off chasing deer during hunting season.

Good luck and training on the fence is key.
Jackie & Gunner

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:15 am

Hey man Im pretty much where you are at. I moved from a house in town with a half acre enclosed to the middle of my wifes family farm this spring. My 2yr old GSP used to do fairly well staying in the yard or at least where i could see him and get a good recall. however when the beans came up he would get out in the beans and just run. usually I could call him and he would be back in a minute or two, then it got to the point a couple of weeks ago where when i would let him and the other dogs out and would go into the barn to feed the horses, the other dogs would be in the barn and he would be gone. All of my bird dogs live in 5x10 kennels and get out for 1/2hr to an hour evry day to just roam the yard and handle business and in addition, 3-5days a week I saddle up and take them to the CRP and RUN them. I just resided my self especially with deer season upon us that if my boy is gona be out in the yard he is on a 50ft check cord and while i have him out there doing that, we work on his recall and on stopping and standing.
Unfortunately this is the pot calling the kettle black but I think your problem much like mine is more of an obedience/recall problem than it is an issue with the dog.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:04 am

Thanks Jim. Thats kinda what I was getting at. Here means here. It takes time and it isn't fun and some times it's a big pain in the rear, but you gotta do it if you don't want to be in that situation.

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions. I also agree that training needs to be reinforced. I know I can blame myself for that but it is one thing that has to be done. Now if I can get my wife to implement the same "rules" while I'm not home. Got any tricks for that? :wink: While she's home he's a big baby. She has treated him like that since day one. Oh well though. That's one battle I know I'll never win. :roll:

Great ideas so far thanks again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:05 pm

Keep the dog and replace the wife. Sorry, I messed up. Let me try that again. Keep the dog and get rid of the wife. Tell her to straighten up or she's gone. :wink:

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks for the pic!! Gotta love those brittanys.

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:05 am

Sorry the pic is so big I tried to delete it from the post but it still came up. Now, let's try it again.
123.jpg
Looking at the inground fences, it looks like the stubborn dog collar is for the petsafe systems. My local Lowes sells the petsafe fences. I believe I am going to buy one of the today and try the collar that comes with it. If it doesn't work then I will get the stubborn collar for it.

I have one question for those with the electric inground fences. What about lightning strikes. The internet seems to be filled with complaints the units go bad if lightening strikes in the area. Is this the case. Some reviews say they have to order a special surge protector. Any info???

Again yesterday, I took Louie outside this early in the morning this time to help look for a deer my neighbor shot youth shotgun season. At first he listened to me, then he started to range too far and once I gave the come command he ignored me and continued on until I had to find him. After your posts and yesterday morning, I just realized that training is exactly what is going on here. Just like the early days I give a command and he was too far away for it to be enforced, thus give him an inch and he is now taking a mile. I need to find the charger for his e-collar. I haven't used it since last upland season.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 am

Petsafe wireless unit is what we use at our home. You simply take it out of the box, hang it on the wall and plug it in. You then take the collar out and set your borders with the flags. ( this outfit starts beeping before they reach the border, after being shocked a couple times they will stop with the beep only). After you adjust your borders you set the shock setting on the collar, from tickle me elmo low to curl his tail what that heck just happened, then walk him around the borders of flags a few times getting him to relate flags=beep beep=shock. You slowly remove the flags over a short time. Remove every other flag till there are none left, and the dog will remember the border. NOTE: Change the batteries on the collar monthly, the dog will creep up to the border from time to time to see if its still there. Step by cautious step, if he hears no beep he will creep right out of the yard! Good luck!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:58 am

Gentlemen,
Tractor Supply carries the complete line of Pet-Safe equipment, LC also carries most of it. Get your self a Dogtra T&B Collar and start doing some training,
your animal thinks he is the big dog of the house and that definitely needs to change.
RGD/Dave

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:55 pm

The wire is in the ground. It only took me all day to do it. The edger works great in black dirt but 90% of my yard is a sand hill. So the dirt falls back in while edging. It took a while but the hard part of installation is done. Tomorrow comes the hookup and flags. Then the training begins. You know, I am actually pretty tired right now after putting in 1500 feet of wire. Time to go to bed early!!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:55 pm

Kennel him. You should NOT have let him run in the first place. I have never, ever, let any dog I've owned, run free. It's a recipe for a horrible disaster.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:15 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Kennel him. You should NOT have let him run in the first place. I have never, ever, let any dog I've owned, run free. It's a recipe for a horrible disaster.
I agree. I would never let any of my dogs free and unattended. Some Britts are really independent and smart enough to know when they can get away without consequences... some setters, too.

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:58 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Kennel him. You should NOT have let him run in the first place. I have never, ever, let any dog I've owned, run free. It's a recipe for a horrible disaster.
When you say kennel him, I'm assuming you mean like a 10x10 fenced in area?

As far as not letting him run in the first place, you are absolutely right. However, how was I supposed to know he was just going to up and take off?

You have never let your dog run free? Are you referring to letting the dog free in the yard while you and your family is outside? If this is what you mean, then yes my dog runs free and this part will not change except for the time it takes to train him with the fence. I understand we need to supervise him when he is out and we do or at least I thought we did until he ran off. The only time he has gone outside by himself here at the new place is for doing his business. If he goes out for any length of time, it is with one of us. In fact, the first time he ran off, I thought my wife let him in, because she let him out, while I was outside. 15 minutes later I went inside, and asked where the dog was. Wouldn't you know, he took the opportunity and went exploring or whatever you want to call it.

I do agree that letting him out and not watching him is a bad idea and is asking for trouble. It's just those moments that we get side tracked by changing oil, pushing the kids on the swing, and stuff like that. I am thinking the fence can help eliminate those opportunities of him wondering off.

As far as the fence goes, day 1 of boundary training in the books! He actually is doing better than I thought he would. He was actually already catching on and turning around at the flag wanting a treat. Time will tell I guess!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Seuss -

I NEVER, EVER let my dogs run free. When I lived in the 'burbs, the dogs were in kennel runs(5X12) and were allowed to run free in a fenced in backyard that was about 30X50. The fence was 4 ft. chainlink, but they never learned to jump it so they didn't try. In that community a free running dog was a dead dog because the traffic was nonstop.

When I moved to a more rural area a few years ago, the dogs are still in 5X12 runs but their backyard fenced in area is now about 80X100. it is a 6 ft. board fence. They don't challenge that one either.

I was never a big fan of electric fences. I like a physical barrier.

Anytime they are outside a fenced in area they are on a lead, checkcord or e-collar.

The only time my dogs run free is when they are being hunted, trained or trialed.

RayG

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Suess

I never ever let my dogs run free. When they are out of the kennel they have their e-collars on even if I am with them. If you are serious about not changing be prepared to have some serious problems down the road. Not only serious but probably very expensive.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Griffsmom

Post by Griffsmom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:12 am

I can understand what you are describing to a tee. We are in the farm country too and in probably 20 years have not had an issue with the dogs expanding their range....until we kept a male pup. He buddy'd up with one of our females and they started out just in the field and would be back and check in every 5 - 10 minutes and where always in hearing range. Then the time just started to increase after each time. They could disappear just in the blink of an eye or walking around the corner of the house. So we ended up installing a underground fence made by Sport Dog and we fenced probably 5 acres and it hasn't let us down once in the past three years. I highly recommend it. If I would ever move that would be one of the first things installed. Good luck.

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:33 am

Now, I have the opposite problem. He doesn't want to leave the house. After day one, session one, of introducing the static correction he wants nothing to do with going outside. When outside on a check cord, he will litterally crawl around my feet to the point of tripping me. He doesn't want to leave my side. In fact, the next morning he decided that after going outside and coaxing him to pee, he decided later on to pee twice inside the house by the back door. Then for another bathroom break he is trying to do number 2 while walking under my feet.

After this, I have decided to stop the training with the underground fence and static correction. How do I go about continuing training? Do I just give him time with the collar on with no battery like I currently am and continue training in a week or so? Right now there is no way I can try to train with as timid as he is acting.

He knows the feeling comes from outside and doesn't want to be there now.

What's the solution to this?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:37 pm

Well...... I would shut the fence off and I would take him outside on the CC and just lead him around in the are that y0ou have enclosed so that he realizes that, the particular area is safe, then slowly work back into using the collar....... Probly would have been easier on both you and the dog if you had just worked on OB instead of jumping the gun and putting in the in ground fence, It would seem to me that the dog had no idea why he was getting burned and now you have a problem....

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Plus the dog shouldn't have been burned yet since you were just supposed to be showing it the flags and boundries.

Ezzy

bigdaddy

Post by bigdaddy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:00 pm

What's the solution?
I just got a big running, 2 year old pointer. He got out the third day I had him and ran for 45 minuts, crossing the busiest street in town. On another occasion, he ran the neighborhood for two and a half hours I threw raw mweat at himand he wouldn't stop.I have had him 5 weeks. Today I cut him loose in a 10 acre pasture with a rope fence that he could run under. He was 100% perfect on recall. From at least 300 yards away, from out of sight, from down in a creek bottom, from just outside the chicken coop - well ok most of his muzzle was in the chicken coop - he was 100%. Today was his first day on the ecollar.

Build him the run for when you're gone. Buy an ecollar. Watch Perfect Start to learn how to use it with HERE. Bury the rest of that electric fence system. Enjoy your dog. Here is the thread I started after the two and a half hour run.

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=31665

seuss79

Post by seuss79 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:23 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:Well...... I would shut the fence off and I would take him outside on the CC and just lead him around in the are that y0ou have enclosed so that he realizes that, the particular area is safe, then slowly work back into using the collar....... Probly would have been easier on both you and the dog if you had just worked on OB instead of jumping the gun and putting in the in ground fence, It would seem to me that the dog had no idea why he was getting burned and now you have a problem....

Jim
I did shut the fence off and it's just basic training right now with the hopes of eventually working it back in.
ezzy333 wrote:
Plus the dog shouldn't have been burned yet since you were just supposed to be showing it the flags and boundries.

Ezzy
I was following the directions to a tee. This part was introducing static correction. As far as using the fence, Following the directions is what I thought I was supposed to do. They can be found here page: 13 the phase 2 section:

http://www.petsafe.net/getattachment/e9 ... -662-2.pdf

I only got the first session of phase two in. He seemed fine with it while we were doing it as well. He'd take a treat after I led him back to the safe area and seemed okay. Tail wagging, acting normal, etc. It wasn't until we went outside to do the session for a second time that he began to act all timid. So I stopped before we actually started training again.
bigdaddy wrote:

What's the solution?

adogslife wrote:
Can you erect an 8x10 run (or smaller) throw a cover on top,place a kennel inside along with food/water bowls?

I just got a big running, 2 year old pointer. He got out the third day I had him and ran for 45 minuts, crossing the busiest street in town. On another occasion, he ran the neighborhood for two and a half hours I threw raw mweat at himand he wouldn't stop.I have had him 5 weeks. Today I cut him loose in a 10 acre pasture with a rope fence that he could run under. He was 100% perfect on recall. From at least 300 yards away, from out of sight, from down in a creek bottom, from just outside the chicken coop - well ok most of his muzzle was in the chicken coop - he was 100%. Today was his first day on the ecollar.

Build him the run for when you're gone. Buy an ecollar. Watch Perfect Start to learn how to use it with HERE. Bury the rest of that electric fence system. Enjoy your dog. Here is the thread I started after the two and a half hour run.
An 8x10 kennel is in the works. After I get off these 6-12's I'm working in a couple weeks, I will be putting that in as well.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Drag him around the yard. Don't let the dog run you. Take him outside on a leash, and walk him all around. Walk him to the boundaries and back. If he hasn't been nicked, why is he afraid. He has to learn to go outside whether he wants to or not, same as going in his kennel. It's not what he wants, it's what you want.

I'm with the others on those efences. Don't like them. I've seen too many dog's run through them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.