new astro 320?

MO_GSP

new astro 320?

Post by MO_GSP » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:11 pm

As many of you know, I almost lost my gsp pup a few weeks back so I picked up the new garmin and while I have found it to be a great tool I want to know what you all think of it and how you maximize the ability of the astro. Do you buy the downloadable maps?

I'm not very techy and havent played with it too much

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: new astro 320?

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:34 pm

I bought the full US map disk, that way I can download maps for anywhere I go....you surely don't need maps tho to use the astro.

I hear they have a new long whippy (is that a word :P ) antenna , i would love to try that if they fit the 220's.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:20 pm

I just got the 320 (it was free - I used my Cabela's bucks! :D ) - I also got the Topo 24K DVD for the Northeast & the BIrdseye subscription. I'm still trying to find my way around it. One thing I noticed is that if I turn off the dog's collar and move as little as a mile away, I had to delete and re-add the collar to get it to show up. Another thing I noticed is that if you change the dog's name, even if you don't delete the tracks, it still wipes all the track data off the unit. I haven't tried re-naming the collar to see if the old tracks come back. It is nice knowing where my dog is when I can't hear the bell or beeper. Absolutely glad I have it.

Make sure you carry extra batteries. I got the Duracell GoMobile charger, which will recharge NiMH batteries from a car or regular outlet in about an hour. Get the Duracell Pre-charged rechargables. They last longer and take a bigger charge than the ones you have to charge before you use them for the first time.

Edit: I renamed the collar back to the first dog name, and I was able to download the tracks. So it looks like you can change the name on the collar, and then after you download the tracks with Basecamp, you can rename the collar back to the first name and then download the tracks stored with that name.

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:25 am

nj gsp wrote:I just got the 320 (it was free - I used my Cabela's bucks! :D ) - I also got the Topo 24K DVD for the Northeast & the BIrdseye subscription. I'm still trying to find my way around it. One thing I noticed is that if I turn off the dog's collar and move as little as a mile away, I had to delete and re-add the collar to get it to show up. Another thing I noticed is that if you change the dog's name, even if you don't delete the tracks, it still wipes all the track data off the unit. I haven't tried re-naming the collar to see if the old tracks come back. It is nice knowing where my dog is when I can't hear the bell or beeper. Absolutely glad I have it.

Make sure you carry extra batteries. I got the Duracell GoMobile charger, which will recharge NiMH batteries from a car or regular outlet in about an hour. Get the Duracell Pre-charged rechargables. They last longer and take a bigger charge than the ones you have to charge before you use them for the first time.

Edit: I renamed the collar back to the first dog name, and I was able to download the tracks. So it looks like you can change the name on the collar, and then after you download the tracks with Basecamp, you can rename the collar back to the first name and then download the tracks stored with that name.
that was a heck of a bunch of cabelas bucks you had saved up

MO_GSP

Post by MO_GSP » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:27 am

birddog1968 wrote:I bought the full US map disk, that way I can download maps for anywhere I go....you surely don't need maps tho to use the astro.

I hear they have a new long whippy (is that a word :P ) antenna , i would love to try that if they fit the 220's.......
do you mean the extra antenna that comes with the 320 or one that you can buy seperately

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:18 pm

MO_GSP wrote: that was a heck of a bunch of cabelas bucks you had saved up
I put everything on that card!