Field trial

ShearMadness

Field trial

Post by ShearMadness » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 am

There is a Field Trial this weekend in Medford NJ. I have never been to one before. I was thinking of taking my kids over and checking it out. Is it worth it? Is this a spectator sport? Will be able to see anything going on?

remmy

Re: Field trial

Post by remmy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:21 am

You really can't see much unless you're on horseback riding the braces. You can see a little from the clubhouse but not much.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:39 am

At the English setter Club? If so, it's an historic place if you're into that. You can visit the dog and horse graveyards and read the inscriptions on the stones.

Go see what you can see, check out the strings and rigs, and chat with folks. At my club, we love when visitors come by :D

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:51 am

There are some walking stakes on Friday....Amateur Walking Puppy and Amateur Walking Gun Dog.

In Medford you can see bits and pieces of what's going on. I'll be there (look for green dodge Ram 2500 pickup with a cap & small red bumper pull trailer). The organizers are wonderful, friendly people, there's a happy hour and pot luck dinner on Saturday, which are always lots of fun. There will be a wrangler there, so if you've ever ridden, you can rent a horse for $10 a brace (give or take a dollar) and watch the action. If the bird planter is using an ATV, most are more than willing to take a small child out with them and explain what's going on.

It's worth the trip, if only to meet some like-minded people and make some new friends! Here's a link to the premium:

http://clubs.akc.org/brit/ClubPremiums/ ... T_fall.pdf

It'll give you an idea of the order in which things are happening. I'm judging the OLGD on Saturday morning, and then we're running a dog in the ALGD and AAA, but definitely stop by!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Birdman250

Post by Birdman250 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 am

I say GO..Enjoy the day with your child and the dog people and their dogs..Ask questions and don't hesitate to let them know you are new and like to see whats going..In the many trials I had attended there are lots of people that will show and give you information about dogs and trial foundation. Who knows, you might be a contender next year :P
A dog is the extension of its owner.

Paul : http://www.pmtkennels.com

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:10 pm

My advise, take the kid's this weekend let them get a taste of it too. My 11 year old daughter went to the first with me and now comes out and runs Kona with me every time I go out. She would like to run her own dog in a few years. have fun with your kids there. Went to my first at the same place.

Then next weekend when the Weimey club holds theirs at the same spot, you go alone and bring a few bucks with you.It is around 10 dollars a brace for the horse. I would recommend you ride for both puppy stakes and the derbies just to get a feel for what the dogs are doing and what the judges are looking for. Ask alot of questions. Most everyone will be glad to help out.

I will be there on Sunday the 23rd running Kona in the open puppy. You can't miss us. Subaru Outback with a pointer staked out behind it. Stop by.

Joe

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:19 pm

Thanks, I will stop by with my girls (9 and 6).

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:46 am

Darn! There seems to always be kids at field trials when my step daughter is with her mother!

See you this weekend!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:11 am

Girls have field hockey at 9am. I should be at Medford around 10:15.

I only live 20 mins away plus Medford is between field hockey and home.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:23 pm

So Shear, how did it go at the trials this weekend? How did the girls Like it?

Joe

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:24 am

It went great. My wife and oldest bailed on me but my little one went and she loved it. We met two great people, Karen and John. They let my daughter pet thier horse and their dog, which was the highlight for my daughter. I learned a lot. I couldn't see any of the dogs working. That was a bummer. Thanks again to Karen and John.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:05 am

I will be there this sunday for the trial. We will be running in the open puppy. You should come and rent a horse. You really should ride through one or two braces. Hope you can make it out. By the way how old is your pup? And what do you have?

Joe

ShearMadness

Post by ShearMadness » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:02 pm

Ironically I don't have a dog right now.

Wife wanted a cat and I wanted a dog. So we compromised and got a cat. LOL

The kids and I are trying to get the wife convinced. She doesn't want the dog home alone all day while we are at work. So if any has any advice for me then I'm all ears.

I had a Springer years ago. Recently have been hunting with the pointing breeds and love to watch them hunt.

Btw Karen. It was a Red Setter my friend had.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:41 pm

People always say that you can't leave a dog home alone all day.

I'll agree it's not ideal, but if they get attention and training otherwise, it works well. I'd think that most dogs are home alone during the work day. I know our 4 are.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:22 pm

Look dogs have been staying outside for years. Kona which is the one in my avatar has a 16x6 kennel and a two compartment dog house. She goes out at 7 in the A.M. and i let her run the back yard when i get home for a few hours. We then go to the big field and chase whatever jumps up. She is now running 45 to 55 minutes at a clip. We come home and she crashes in the dog house and comes in the house at 8 pm for the night. She does very well with that schedule. She doesn't yip or bark anymore. She stopped after a week.

Tell mama to give you a shot. She got the cat, then if she still says no you do what I did. Tell her when the pup is coming. Mine didn't believe me until gundog express pulled in the drive with two pups. She was pi##ed but got over it.

Joe

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Easier to ask for permission then forgiveness. Nuff said lol. I'm about to put a kennel in my back yard for when I'm gone during the day.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 pm

forgiveness is always easier to get than permission.

joe

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Divorce is more expensive then a dog. Specially if you have a kid and a house.

Edit:
But if you buy the dog for your wife because it was just too cute then you were being thoughtful. Make sure you put a bow on the collar and sell it as a gift.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:13 pm

also register the dog in both you and your wives names and then when you place the dog and the owner is listed she will see her name! Everybody likes to see their name in print!

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Wow, I should start taking lessons. I am so not that nice. Hey mudhunter, I noticed you are only an hour away from where I live. What kind of dogs you running? Maybe we can hook up and run dogs.

Joe

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:51 am

Ive found that with the first dog it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission, after that its a crapshoot..... and if your wife is not head over heels for working dogs dont take her to a trial to convince her you need a puppy, just start pointing out puppies or young dogs out and about, a hard nosed working dog isnt likely to win over the hearts of a cat person (Compromise means meeting in the middle, not you giving in by the way :D). but a cuddly squirming puppy will get any one to consider a dog.

JIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:38 am

Introduction is everything. In this case, get with someone who has a dog, you just met a bunch of them. Take the kids. Have someone teach the kids the basic commands for a seasoned dog. THEN take the wife. The kids will be comfortable, confident, and it will appear that they are already trained helpers to make life with a dog easier. Then hand the wife a puppy or show her a litter. This is simply an educational meet and greet outing. Soften them up first. Sometimes you don't even have to ask after that.