possession aggession in my WPG?

shootist

possession aggession in my WPG?

Post by shootist » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:40 pm

Cash is a 7 month old WPG. I got him a bone today while doing some shopping. I gave him the bone and he commenced to chewing on it. When I got near him he tried to bite me. He has never shown any kind of aggression before. He doesn't do this with any food or other possessions. Have any of you had any dealings with this? What did you do?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:49 pm

That needs to be dealt with...or it WILL get worse

best method is one that is shown on the Dog whisperer

I will flat lay a pup out on his back or raise him up off the ground from his collar under both ears by the scruff of the neck with elbows out and stare him down and bark out unaccaptable..not that the dog will under stand the words but it is a growling type sound which will show your displeasure of his act in a quick fashion like an alpha dog would do to a subordinate

Watch the DOg whisperer if you can on the NAtional geographic channel there are many things he shows which all lead to such behavours where a dog is learning how to be alpha over the owner and if aggression is starting...the pup will not grow out of that behavour
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:51 pm

My pup did this to me as well. I smacked him across his face with my hand. Not hard just hard enough for him to get the point. I then commanded a firm no. He has never done it again.

In your situation I would start taking food away from him in the middle of him eating stirring it then giving it back.

Eventually you should be able to get your face right up to his with out him raising a lip.

I am able to do this with my setter and she just turns away you need to teach him who is boss or he will take on the roll himself.

seadog

Post by seadog » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:12 pm

As was said , set him up for it and then lower the boom on him . You should be able to take food/treats/ birds away from any time YOU see fit not when he figures its OK .

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:43 pm

I would pick him up by the collar and let him gag a bit. Wen you put him down he WILL be worried about doing it again.
brenda

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:10 pm

There's a technique that the rescue dog folks use for dealing with abandoned dogs that have been left to hunt for themselves. When trying to resocialize these dogs, food possessiveness is often a problem.

The technique is real simple; basically you feed the dog out of your hand. Take a handful of kibble in the palm of your hand and let the dog eat from it. Occasionally you close your hand for a while and make the dog wait. If he gets aggressive you stand up and walk away - dog gets nothing. For a minimum of 2 weeks, this is the only way the dog eats. Every treat is eaten out of your hand, or some family member's hand. At some point it's transitioned to a small bowl, with your hands covering it.

This technique alone won't solve the problem but it will do a lot to establish some control and to teach the dog that you have the ability to stop and start his access to food at all times.

I've not had a reason to try this so I know nothing other than the PhD animal behaviorist that recommended it.

FWIW,
Dave

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:43 am

definatley research the dog whisper Cesar Milan as was suggested. I have a redbone that I rescued and she was very aggressive. I got Cesar Milans book and problem was solved in a matter of days. the book also helped me to understand dogs better and to have a better realationship with them. good luck.

Brandon

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:33 am

Dennis,

I now what your going through. Alot of us have had similar situations, and they are horrible. You feel like your buddy is turning on you and you may even feel helpless.

First, this is a power phase that the pup is going through. It is worst in some pups than others, but they all try to push the envelope and try to get a hand up on the power pole. You need to take a stand in the sand and get disciplined with Cash. Make it feel like boot camp for him. You and all in your house need to give the exact same disicpline for him when ever issues come up.

Don't give him any attention unless he earns it by good behavior. Pups need us around and when they learn that misbehavior will cause us to leave them they will want to behave.

Second the biteing thing is not good. You need to solve this soon before he gets bigger. When he shows any sign of it again you have to go into a submissive hold with him. You need to stay in it no matter what don't let him out until he gives into you 100%. You may get nipped or scratched, but you need to keep him in it. Then when he give in start to let up slowly and any sign of struggle then keep him in it. You must be in charge and let him out of it. When you do then walk away and foreget it. He will shake it off and want to come over and get a scratch... ignore him. He is a dog not a child.

Tough love will solve the problem. I would then put him into situations where you are in control more. Feed him out of your hand, then pull away and don't give him any more. Feed him, but make him wait to eat until you say it is o.k. The only thing to not do is put your dog into a situation that it can't handle.

Third, tire that sucker out !! Run him til he asks to stop. A tired pup is a happy pup.

Good luck remember it isn't happening because of your efforts, you just need to redirect some of the efforts.

shootist

he did it again!

Post by shootist » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:06 pm

My son wanted to give Cash a treat. He gave cash the bone and I supervised very closely. Initially Cash tried to run off with the treat as though he was afraid someone would try to take it. I put a check cord on him so I could reel him in. My son started petting cash. Cash was fine with this, but at one point growled at my son. I immediately jerked a knot in his tail and growled "NO". I think he understood my displeasure.

GRIFF MAN

Post by GRIFF MAN » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:04 pm

Great,

Just keep letting him know that you are the boss and that behavior like he has shown will not be allowed.

Good luck

shootist

Post by shootist » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:06 pm

I have contacted a trainer that will work with him for two weeks (boarding school) and then work with me and Cash together. I know what some people are going to say about boarding school, but I am going to be out of town anyway. He will have to be boarded, so why not let a pro work with him.

Do you guys think neutering would help or not?

Do you think me snatching him up could make him more aggressive?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:07 pm

If you snatch him up, pick him up where his feet are off the floor. It will scare him good, but not hurt him; he may try to get you, but, like I said, let him gag a bit. I would not say much, just let him know by your actions what follows. I think it will end the problem...
brenda

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:22 pm

There is one major thing ...I can tell you..your family needs to show this pup YOU are the BOSS...

I ahve quite a few young dogs that do not respect their owners but will never offer to mouth my hand or growl at me. But as soon as I am not in the picture if the owner doesn't listen and do what i suggest the dog goes right back to biting and such...
So unless YOU change and your family changes your behavour towards your pup your pup will not change towards you.
What you allow your dog to do...You train your dog to do.
and Dogs do not grow out of behavours they grow into them

many wise dog rules posted on Rick smiths site

http://www.teamhuntsmith.com/Docs/dogrules.pdf
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:40 am

Penny growled and snapped at me once. Once. I took the bone and gave her a piece of my mind. I gave the bone back, let her chew, then took it. Did this a couple of times, and she hasn't done it since. I don't know if this is the "right way", but it worked for me.
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:39 pm

In my house the dogs must know this-- Absolutely no active aggression towards people! No growling, snarling, biting, or "giving me the rolly eye" etc. People are family but I walk a careful line with "dominating back" We, the people in the family play, teach, sleep, eat with the dogs, but when it comes to dominance, I try to stay outside of it. Or rather so far above it that it is never challenged in anything but mind games. :roll: I present myself as the boss, but not one that can be challenged for a place later on as the dogs will do amongst themselves. I do yell and make a big scene, as visual displays mean a lot to dogs. But in the case of your issue, I would not. I make the response very quick and to the point. People talk about scruffing puppies. A similar behavior that dogs do, is to mock bite. A mother will mock bite or "cover" her puppies muzzle and face with her gaping mouth. Similarly I will grab the muzzle and shake it and say NO! If I was worried about biting, I would wrap a leash quickly around the muzzle and do the same.

But, I agreee, It is a good idea to seek professional help. Just be sure to work with the trainer and Cash too, when you get back from you trip. Aggression is the absolute highest on the list of I WILL NOT TOLERATE behaviors.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:27 pm

I worked with my sister's weimaraner, which also had some minor possession aggression issues, for about five weeks last spring. It took a tag-team effort from both Danyelle and I, but we got the picture to the dog about what behavior was acceptable and what behavior was not acceptable.

It can be done, you just have to strictly enforce what behavior you expect in those situations, both negatively and positively (praise and even treat rewards sometimes).
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:07 am

Someone mentioned the book by Cesar Millan entitled the "Dog Whisperer" ?? There are several books and DVD's by him available through Amazon, and none with that exact name, which one do you recommend?