SCAMS

jimssetters

SCAMS

Post by jimssetters » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:12 am

You all know I built a website and am trying to Breed and sell English Setters. Heres the deal how many internet advertisers have had to deal with this? Some go through a hole story about how many kids, fenced in back yard. Is there any place to turn these people in for investagation? It has been kinda sad, I get excited thinking i can ship a puppy to another state. That would really spread my genes and develop some feedback. Just to bad there are so many lazy people that would rather scam someone instead of putting in an honest days work.

JuliaH

Re: SCAMS

Post by JuliaH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:40 am

How many internet advertisers have to deal with what? And who do you want to turn in for investigation? I must be dense but I am not understanding your post very well :) When you sell pups are you advertising on hunting dog sites or via classifieds in your local area?

Your website is nicely done by the way...

Julia
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 am

Sorry must not of worded correctly. I see alot of breeders ads on gundog sites. How many of these breeders are contacted by buyers that are scam artists? I had 1 that said he want ed 3 pups and would send me $2400. Another from NJ wanted 1 pup and was offering $1500. I have phone numbers and e-mails if they are trackable. The sites I advertised on are well known gundog sites. It had nothing to do with site as know anyone can shop them.

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:09 am

I would tell you this, until you have talked to them its hard to say. But when they offer you a said amount, and you haven't posted a price well then its probably a scam. Now if your posting a price and they are still ofeering way more than ur asking, it is still probably a scam. Be careful where u post, and use common sense, if its to good to be true, than it probably is.

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:28 am

There are definately scammers out there. I bred/sold a few Lab litters, Im sure I know the site you are talking about. I actually went a long with the scam to the end. I was selling my pups for 800.00 (I think) and "Jon Smith" emailed me and said he would send me 2500.00, I was to keep 1000.00 and send 1500.00 to "his friend" who was picking up the pup, the 1500.00, was for his friends time and travel. Knew it was a scam from the start, but I played. In about 4 days, I recieved a cashiers check for the 2500.00. It looked good, my bank even said it was from a legit bank and the routing #s were correct, so I deposited it, but obviously didnt spend it. "Jon" called everyday asking if I got the check and if I sent his friend the extra money, I said I got it, cashed it, but wasnt going to send his friend the money, told him he had been scammed. He was furious, called me everything but a white man. I asked how a guy named Jon Smith got such a middle east accent, he hung up. He called once more and demanded his money, I just said "thanks". The money was in my account for about 3-4 weeks, then bank called and said it was counterfiet, which we knew anyways.

There isnt much you can do, someone from the site did email me for the info on the guy, but he pretty much said nothing ever happens as they just create a new email and move on to the next sucker. I had fun just playing along, I knew I wasnt gettin any money, but it was fun pissing him off.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:35 am

I don't get the scam there? The guy sent you $2500 and $1000 was for a pup. $1500 to his friend picking up the pup. So when the guy shows up to get the pup, you give him the $1500? You still have $1000 and the check already went thru the bank. I'm pretty dense on how these things work.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 am

jimssetters wrote:Sorry must not of worded correctly. I see alot of breeders ads on gundog sites. How many of these breeders are contacted by buyers that are scam artists? I had 1 that said he want ed 3 pups and would send me $2400. Another from NJ wanted 1 pup and was offering $1500. I have phone numbers and e-mails if they are trackable. The sites I advertised on are well known gundog sites. It had nothing to do with site as know anyone can shop them.
Very nice web site! Did you make it yourself? Bad question I guess but, how much does it cost to run one of them a month?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:52 am

Don,
It only costs about 5 bucks or so a month to have a site. Updating and any modifications you can do yourself. There is a reason that everyone and their Grandma has one!

As for the scammers who cares? I have had folks call and email me with the same line you stated above and I tell them Send me the money, pick up your dog, cash is king. Sure is an easy way to tell how interested or real someone may be. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:01 am

Thanks Chris. I've though about a web site a long time but had nowhere to start. I've talked to a couple people that set them up and I get lost in the talk! Computer people start talking about computer's to me and it might just as well be Japaneese!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 am

DonF wrote:I don't get the scam there? The guy sent you $2500 and $1000 was for a pup. $1500 to his friend picking up the pup. So when the guy shows up to get the pup, you give him the $1500? You still have $1000 and the check already went thru the bank. I'm pretty dense on how these things work.
Fake check.

Who charges a friend $1500 to pick up a dog?
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah a couple of those gun dog sites when I made some posts yep got the scammers big time..I would reply back giving them the FBI or Whitehouse address and phonenumbers :twisted: telling them to rush payment ..
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:25 am

DonF wrote:I don't get the scam there? The guy sent you $2500 and $1000 was for a pup. $1500 to his friend picking up the pup. So when the guy shows up to get the pup, you give him the $1500? You still have $1000 and the check already went thru the bank. I'm pretty dense on how these things work.
When your bank finds it was fake check they charge the 2500 back to your account

JuliaH

Post by JuliaH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:53 pm

There are a lot of variations on the old nigerian scam. Usually someone contacts you via email, offers you a nice fat sum for product (or pup), says they are sending payment and will have someone pick it up. No answer from you is necessary. Do NOT ever give anyone your bank account for transfer of funds!!! Just google nigerian scam and you will see the pattern. It takes different forms but is the same thing. Checks, certified checks, money orders from that sort of buyer are no good.

I don't even answer them any more. They will just go from you to someone else... Unless a person is willing to come to me and see pups, interested in picking up in person they get nowhere fast with me. I have had a couple of pups shipped but buyer was legit and payment for pup, shipping, crate, vet certs, etc. were all handled in advance of pup leaving and funds clearing bank. Most of the time tho, people want to come and see the litter and talk with you. Normally clean kennels, healthy pups and parents (if you own both, and a link to sire if you have used another dog) and a good reputation are all you need :) Don't worry about those scammers, and they are certainly out there :)

Julia

jimssetters wrote:Sorry must not of worded correctly. I see alot of breeders ads on gundog sites. How many of these breeders are contacted by buyers that are scam artists? I had 1 that said he want ed 3 pups and would send me $2400. Another from NJ wanted 1 pup and was offering $1500. I have phone numbers and e-mails if they are trackable. The sites I advertised on are well known gundog sites. It had nothing to do with site as know anyone can shop them.
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:46 pm

The scam is there is never money in the bank. I use paypal on my website but have no users yet. I dont know if that will stop some of them or not. Also sent you a pm Don.

mm

Post by mm » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Beware of paypal also there is a way to cancel the payment long after the sale if you are verified. Paypal take the buyers side and charges you back through your credit card or bank whichever you use to verify. I have had many people try this on me when I was selling a boat. In the end cash is always king.
mm

baileydog2007

Post by baileydog2007 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:31 pm

I was to send his friend the money. So, I deposit a fake check, send his "friend" 1500.00, by the time i (or my bank) realizes its a phony check, he has my 1500, and Im out 2500.00. Of course it would take a fool to fall for the scam, but Im sure folks have.

JuliaH

Post by JuliaH » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:57 pm

I do not use Paypal. Too much risk there for me.
jimssetters wrote:The scam is there is never money in the bank. I use paypal on my website but have no users yet. I dont know if that will stop some of them or not. Also sent you a pm Don.
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 pm

Paypal screwed me over. Somebody hacked their accounts (which they would not admit) and wiped out my checking account. The bank gave me a provisional credit but it took a long time for PayPal to fix it. Meanwhile, because I had my bank set up a block on PayPal withdrawals, they processed an additional fraudulent charge against a credit card I had on file with them after I had deleted it from my PayPal account, and after I notified them the person was making fraudulent charges on my account. In the end it cost me $150 that I couldn't get back, but it would have cost more to get a lawyer. I'll never do business with PayPal again.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks for input didnt relize there were problems. I thought it was a prety safe site.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:52 am

nj gsp wrote:Paypal screwed me over. Somebody hacked their accounts (which they would not admit) and wiped out my checking account. The bank gave me a provisional credit but it took a long time for PayPal to fix it. Meanwhile, because I had my bank set up a block on PayPal withdrawals, they processed an additional fraudulent charge against a credit card I had on file with them after I had deleted it from my PayPal account, and after I notified them the person was making fraudulent charges on my account. In the end it cost me $150 that I couldn't get back, but it would have cost more to get a lawyer. I'll never do business with PayPal again.

Knock on wood but I love my pay pal account have had it for over 11 years...I get the occasional odd ball phishing email trying to get me to log in to my account ...But one thing when it comes to any financial account NEVER EVER access account via emails ALWAYS open a new browser window and log in that way.

But things like ebay..I will never make a purchase where I can't use pay pal and it has been a blessing about a way to accept deposits and down payments
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:20 am

The main one to not waste your time with is the relay calls. An operator will call and have a scammer typing a message for the legit operator to relay to you. At times the operator will even warn me of these scammers before the messages are relayed. I simply tell them i do not accept these calls due to scammers abuse of their service.
The email wording from scammers will almost always ask for "best price" or "final price"
Paypal i have used over 8 years now i have had a few problems with ebay egg sellers not sending eggs. But other than that it has been a valuable tool. Many dogs i sell and buy are paid by paypal. It does offer more protection than sending a money order or a check to pay for goods.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:31 am

That scam is a very common one, especially on Craig's List. It's ok if the guy sends you a check, but never for over the amount you're selling for. On Craig's List, I deal in cash only, pick up at my place.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

QuailHollow

Post by QuailHollow » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:03 am

I've been running into this a lot lately,too. Scammers are everywhere. On the buying side of a puppy and - mostly - on the selling side. You'll come to learn over time that you just have to screen people a certain way. E-mail is not enough, so without a phone conversation and a reasonable deposit, the dog I'm offering is still for sale. I advertise on NextDayPets.com - (which your ID must be verified), Gun Dog Breeders, and on my personal website.