The Traveling Puppy!

proudag08

The Traveling Puppy!

Post by proudag08 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Because some might see this later, and there are time references in the body of this post the date today is Tuesday November 15th

Ok so I have put off posting this because I am afraid I will not like to answers that I get... :lol:

So I am picking my pup up tomorrow after work. He will come home and I am off Thursday and Friday. Friday night, we leave for College Station. We are staying with some friends there until Sunday evening. Then we head to Houston, stay there until Tuesday evening then head to the in-laws house from Tuesday to Saturday then come back home. All the while we will have the pup in tow. Now mind you he will have his crate and will also have plenty of attention at all these stops. All the stops are aware of the pup being there and are totally ok with it. Also, the pup will not be left alone any longer than I'd say 2 hours at a time in his crate during the trip.

Now my question is this: Is that going to affect my puppy in the long run? I mean I figure that pros maybe travel with pups a lot, but I may be wrong (its happened once before :roll: ) I just want to make sure that I am not going to put my puppies health or mental well being at stake by taking him all these places so soon after getting the him. Is taking him to all these places and all these new people going to "over stimulate" my pup? I think this is just me being a nervous first timer, but I'm just trying to make sure...

So, what do you think?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: The Traveling Puppy!

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 pm

How old is he and what is his vaccination record against parvo?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 pm

Your pup will be fine, they eat, play, sleep and poop, let them do all four when they need and life is good. Keep him out of Petco and rest stops.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:33 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:How old is he and what is his vaccination record against parvo?
He wil be 9 weeks old and will have first round and possibly second round shots...

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:41 pm

Socialization-wise - it will be advantage, not a disadvantage, IMO. You and your family will be fill-ins for momma and brothers and sisters. The pup will be around you constantly...that's nothing but good for a young one. Here's a good article on the social/behavioral aspect: http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/51/97/

Casey voiced the only potential downside. I think you might be able to mitigate this one somewhat by keeping pup away from areas that other dogs frequent - DO NOT put him down at truck stops, rest stops, dog parks, places where other dogs gather and piddle if you can help it.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Ditto what the others have said. All my pups travel a bunch. Even when they're little. However, you really do need to keep them away from ANY places where other dogs have been. 9 weeks old IMO is practically like being unvaccinated since antibodies might still be screwed up from the mom.

I really like churches (my favorite) and baseball diamonds. I don't use any gas station stops or fast food places. Also be really careful on trying to keep his feeding schedule normal - don't let the family give him treats or he'll be nasty with the runs. That sucks when you're traveling. Schedule good breaks when you're driving in order to get the pup out for exercise in safe places.

Also, bring your friends and family earplugs for his screaming in the crate - hope they won't need them, but with pups that aren't crate trained, you never know how bad it's going to be.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:59 pm

If it's been at least seventeen days since his first DP vax, have the breeder booster him when you pick him up. Get a bottle of Safegard for goats at TSC in case the excitement knocks his immune system and he gets coccidia. Don't let the family houseapes feed him rich holiday food and he should do just fine.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:12 pm

proudag08 wrote:Because some might see this later, and there are time references in the body of this post the date today is Tuesday November 15th

Ok so I have put off posting this because I am afraid I will not like to answers that I get... :lol:

So I am picking my pup up tomorrow after work. He will come home and I am off Thursday and Friday. Friday night, we leave for College Station. We are staying with some friends there until Sunday evening. Then we head to Houston, stay there until Tuesday evening then head to the in-laws house from Tuesday to Saturday then come back home. All the while we will have the pup in tow. Now mind you he will have his crate and will also have plenty of attention at all these stops. All the stops are aware of the pup being there and are totally ok with it. Also, the pup will not be left alone any longer than I'd say 2 hours at a time in his crate during the trip.

Now my question is this: Is that going to affect my puppy in the long run? I mean I figure that pros maybe travel with pups a lot, but I may be wrong (its happened once before :roll: ) I just want to make sure that I am not going to put my puppies health or mental well being at stake by taking him all these places so soon after getting the him. Is taking him to all these places and all these new people going to "over stimulate" my pup? I think this is just me being a nervous first timer, but I'm just trying to make sure...

So, what do you think?
It will not affect him in the long run.
Pup may cry the first 3 nights. Are the inlaws ready for that?
The stimulation will be great for the pup. relax:)
Don't use areas where other dogs eliminate.
Only his regualar food, or you'll have diahrrea all the way home.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:32 pm

For your trip.......

Plenty of paper towels and extra water to clean the crate, you're going to need it. If the drooling/motion sickness gets to bad 1/2 of a 25mg benedryl will work. Light meals, you don't want him traveling on a full stomach and easy on the water as well. Plenty of newspaper for bedding, you're going be throwing a bunch of it away (and a trash bag). Towels if he is going to riding in the seat next to your wife.

Coveyrise64
proudag08 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:How old is he and what is his vaccination record against parvo?
He wil be 9 weeks old and will have first round and possibly second round shots...
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:20 am

Buy bottled water which is not spring water-get reverse osmosis water. Don't let anyone feed or water your pup but you, and don't let anyone give him milk. It will help avoid loose stools due to diet changes on your trip. Have fun with your new pup.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks guys, he is going to the vet Friday. Is there anything I should ask the vet to give him before we leave?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:38 am

If your going to get him chipped , don't do it at the vet. They hold clinics that chip for $20 cheaper usually.

As for stopping and letting the dog out, use some of those side roads off the highway and walk him. I'm guessing your by witchita falls area???

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:53 am

I'm in Ft Worth actually. And yes I had planned on stopping somewhere else, other than a rest stop or gas station to let him out to do his thing. And the vet is a long time family friend. I'm sure the chip wont be too expensive.

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:05 am

Sounds like you have the precautionary advice. Try to keep some kind of schedule for potty and rest just as you would any youngster. RELAX. Be calm and confident no matter what. If it scares you the pup will likely pick that up. Now travel safe, and have FUN. My young one logged many miles at a tender age. She travels beautifully and loves new experiences. It has paid off as she matures.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Take some paper towels in the car. I bet you clean his crate a few times, no big deal. Try to feed him at the same times. Might make bed time consistant too. You'll prolly have to get up in the middle of the night to take him out so make sure the family knows that, ol' uncle ed might meet you at the door with a shotgun otherwise. post some pics.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:49 pm

although it may not apply here since the pup is little and will obviously not be far from you or off lead he could still get loose, ya never know so i suggest to take a photo or two of the pup and have them with you JUST in case he got away or taken so you have a picture to post at places to report him missing..we travel ALOT with our dogs and i always make sure i have good up to date pics with us just in case, a few years back a friend of ours lost his springer while we had the dogs out for a pee break in georgia on our way to florida, the dog broke loose from his collar and off he went, when we went looking and couldnt find him doug (the owner) had no pics on him to post incase someone seen him, he wasnt chipped either BTW and was never seen again so chipping and a picture or two is a good thing to do for all dog owners especially dogs going into fields off lead in unknown territory hunting..JM2C...ruth
Last edited by GUNDOGS on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:51 pm

All of this is great!!! Thanks guys!!! T minus 3.5 hours til my guy comes home!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:19 pm

Have your vet provide you with some Albon against coccidia, since you are going in anyway. Do ask about boostering early on the DHPP-CVK. Better to jump the gun a little than put the pup at risk. Might ask about kennel cough, too.