Hunting Dog Advise Wanted

moomps

Hunting Dog Advise Wanted

Post by moomps » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:54 am

I am new to this forum and have a question of all you experts. My chocolate lab passed last winter and I would like to get another dog. This time I am going to look for a started (at least) dog since I'm a pretty crappy trainer and don't really have the time to spend. I am interested in a English Setter about 2 years old with some pheasant experience under their belt. The dog will be an indoor dog only - my wife will spoil the crap out of it, so it needs to be housebroken too. I'm not a real agressive hunter and don't spend every weekend in the field, but I do get out once a week and sometimes for a few days in a row.

So, my question is - am I crazy to think I can have a dual-purpose dog like this that is good in the house and also good as a hunting dog? Or, is this something that others experience with their dogs - at least those not into trials and other contests.

Thanks for your suggestions

Doodle

Re: Hunting Dog Advise Wanted

Post by Doodle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:14 am

There is nothing wrong with getting a started dog. IMO there is nothing wrong with having a dog that can live with you in the house and hunt their butt off for you in the field. There are many dogs that are sadly being surrendered by their owners due to economic downturn. Usually a quality breeder may take these dogs back or assist in finding them a new home. This would provide you a trained hunting buddy and a home for a dog like this. I know of 2 ES in this situation now. Talk to many people. Make a list of questions. See/meet the dog if at all possible. Meet litter mates or parents. CALL references. Take your time this could be a very worthwhile investment. There are plenty of people on here to help. Best of luck. I hope you find a good fit.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:20 am

Doodle wrote:There is nothing wrong with getting a started dog. IMO there is nothing wrong with having a dog that can live with you in the house and hunt their butt off for you in the field. There are many dogs that are sadly being surrendered by their owners due to economic downturn. Usually a quality breeder may take these dogs back or assist in finding them a new home. This would provide you a trained hunting buddy and a home for a dog like this. I know of 2 ES in this situation now. Talk to many people. Make a list of questions. See/meet the dog if at all possible. Meet litter mates or parents. CALL references. Take your time this could be a very worthwhile investment. There are plenty of people on here to help. Best of luck. I hope you find a good fit.
+1 and welcome!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:34 am

Most of us are just what you describe, maybe some of us hunt more but my 5 hunting dogs and 1 mutt are all in the house.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:36 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Most of us are just what you describe, maybe some of us hunt more but my 5 hunting dogs and 1 mutt are all in the house.
:!: :!: :!: :!: 6 dogs in your house?!?!?!?!? Holy moly!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 am

Doodle wrote:There is nothing wrong with getting a started dog. IMO there is nothing wrong with having a dog that can live with you in the house and hunt their butt off for you in the field. There are many dogs that are sadly being surrendered by their owners due to economic downturn. Usually a quality breeder may take these dogs back or assist in finding them a new home. This would provide you a trained hunting buddy and a home for a dog like this. I know of 2 ES in this situation now. Talk to many people. Make a list of questions. See/meet the dog if at all possible. Meet litter mates or parents. CALL references. Take your time this could be a very worthwhile investment. There are plenty of people on here to help. Best of luck. I hope you find a good fit.
++1 - moomps - shoot me a PM

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:43 am

proudag08 wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Most of us are just what you describe, maybe some of us hunt more but my 5 hunting dogs and 1 mutt are all in the house.

Sounds like you don't know many guys from Maine :lol:

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:00 am

mcbosco wrote:
proudag08 wrote:

Sounds like you don't know many guys from Maine :lol:
You're right... not many of them down here in TX.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:03 am

proudag08 wrote:
Heck I've got 4 in mine and my house is tiny.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:18 am

check the dogs for sale section i believe ULTRACARRY advertised a free 2 year old setter..not sure if it suits your needs or wants but have a look to see :D ...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:51 am

My dogs have always been house dogs when I am home and go to their kennel (dog run) while I am at work, bird dogs are pretty curious by nature and can get them self into trouble when not supervised so I do recomend a kennel when you are not with them. Setters or any hunting breed can make a great family dog in my opinion but they need exercise. They let you know when they are tired of being cooped up about every other day with attention getting behavior that can be less than desirable at times, run them and everybody is happy!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-