Kenneling two dogs together

trasmuson

Kenneling two dogs together

Post by trasmuson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:34 pm

What are everyones thoughts on kenneling two dogs together in their outdoor dog run? I have a dog that is about 50 pounds, he's a mutt, somekind of lab, spaniel, border collie mix that is as gentle as can be. We will be getting a GSP sometime in the near future and i was wondering will I have a problem keeping them in the same dog run together?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Kenneling two dogs together

Post by Karen » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:58 pm

It can work...it can be a disaster. Don't know where you live, but if one dog won't let the other into shelter when it's cold, it's a problem.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:01 pm

Probably depends on the dogs and how they take to each other. I have 3 dogs that can all stay in a 10x10 kennel with no issues for the day. When my last one was a pup, I did partition off a section of that same kennel. I wanted to make sure the play didn't get too rough, that the pup didn't pester the older dogs all day, or that older gsp dog didn't jump off her dog house roof perch and land on the youngster accidently.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:08 pm

i see you mentioned one is a male, whats the GSP going to be, male or female, and is one or both going to be fixed?? i also wouldnt leave any food, toys or bones in with them unsupervised incase one becomes possessive and a fight begins..i have 2 med size lab mix rescues together in a dog crate (xlarge) for a few hours each day when i leave that came here together and they are fine but i still dont put things in with them incase...ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

trasmuson

Post by trasmuson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:26 pm

Thanks everone, I appreciate the responses. Yes, I do have another dog, male. He is fixed, and I am planning on fixing our next dog as well. Life is too busy right now to worry about doing any kind of breeding. Would it be a better idea to get a certain sexed dog in this case? I would prefer to have another male... Most likely a GSP or DK... I haven't thought about making sure i dont give them anything that they can be possesive over but that is a smart idea. thanks everyone.

lostmaples

Post by lostmaples » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:43 pm

I recently got a female EP unexpectedly and put her in an existing kennel with my female GSP while I was building new kennels. Everything was fine for about a week and they got into it and by the time I got them apart my GSP had a stream of blood coming out of her neck shooting out about a foot. Applied pressure until we got to a vet (mine was out of town). Bleeding had stopped by the time we got her there. He sedated her and applied a pressure bandage. Took her home and put her in the house in a wire kennel. Walked outside for few minutes to look closer at the other dog and when I returned she was gone.
Not saying this is the norm but this did happened.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

I've been keeping my GSP (female) and setter (male) together in a kennel. They get along fine. It depends on the dog. We have other dogs I wouldn't kennel together on a bet. "Bitches leave stitches" as the saying goes.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:26 pm

I've got 2 10x10 kennels one has my 2yo GSP and my 5yo lab in it. GSP is an intact male lab is fixed female. They have 2 dog houses but they both sleep in the same one. My other kennel has a 4mo GSP and my 6mo EP/GSP and they will soon be seperated. They don't have any major issues but I'm not going to take any chances. It can be done but you have to know that the dogs will be cool together.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 am

i have had 5 dogs all together for the last 6 months or so. 4 of them had been together for about 2 years prior to that. They have a 20x20 garage with a 10x10 kennel on the outside of it. Only problem i have had is my wifes big golden retriever has my Brittany buffaloed on the food dish, so i put out 2 of them. I did just pour a concrete pad so i can add another 10x10 kennel on the outside, tho. then i am gonna put some kennel panels on the inside of the 20x20 to create a separated space. biggest reason is when one of the girls comes into heat. 3 intact males (one is still a pup), 1 intact female, and a spayed female, So far no problems at all.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:03 am

There was a heartbreaker of a post a year or so ago from an EP breeder who kenneled some of his dogs together. One of his prized bitches got into it with another bitch and basically shredded it. The breeder posted with a heavy heart because he had to put his prize dog down even though the dog was otherwise a superb hunter.

I've seen it work with 2 dogs kenneled together, but hear about some instances in which it doesn't. Most of the dogs I've heard of having problems is 2 bitches kept together it seems like.

My female Britt got her rear end all chewed up by two other female mutt dogs when I was at work years ago. She was just coming into heat. Had never had any aggression before among any of them. They weren't in a kennel but were in a small yard together
Last edited by AzDoggin on Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Boys with girls, girls with boys. Only on a very rare occasion would I put two girls together or visa versa.
Even two neutered males can one day decide to go at it... two bitches are worse I think.

It can work, it's just when it doesn't.......
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

cutty72

Post by cutty72 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:01 pm

So far so good with my female lab and female lab/GWP cross. Granted, the cross is just a 3 mo pup... Hope it continues to work.