Pigeons...?!?!

mykp13

Pigeons...?!?!

Post by mykp13 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:36 am

I'm looking to buy/build a SMALL pigeon coop, or loft as the pigeon fanciers call them. I am not looking to breed the flying rats. I'm more interested in a place that I can keep a few birds for a while ( a few months), that will not upset the wife. I have found a couple of places that have plans for "small" coops that are the size of a shed. Does anyone have suggestions for a smaller, semi permanant enclosure? Also, what should I be paying per bird. I see that the price varies depending on the type. As to type, is one better than another. I can't find much information abut the whole "pigeons for training" process. Any help will be appreciated!
A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle. ~George William Curtis

Aries

Re: Pigeons...?!?!

Post by Aries » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:48 am

Mine is some like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonoak/4719282742/

I closed off one end from the weather and installed a couple roosts. There not around long enough to get comfortable.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:57 am

Aries wrote:Mine is some like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonoak/4719282742/

I closed off one end from the weather and installed a couple roosts. There not around long enough to get comfortable.
Thats a great looking setup..
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:44 am

Aries wrote:Mine is some like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/dragonoak/4719282742/

Ballpark dimensions? (Mostly width, I can guess the rest from that.)
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:05 am

We made a loft out of an old outhouse. Put it up on blocks and inserted a slatted floor. Put an old screen door on it, roosts, 1\2" hardware cloth over the vents, landing board outside with a one-way door. Works fine for 10 to 12 homers and is about 4' square. We bought 4 racing homer babies for $50 and used them to populate the loft, and used ferals when we needed to shoot for training. We have more pigeons than we can use. If you don't need them to home from far away, you can use just ferals and they will come back too, but the homers are better from long distance. Good luck with your birds, they sure are fun.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:24 pm

so a wire bottom is OK for pigeons, won't get too cold, etc? Also, with 6 - 12 pigeons will all that poop create a toxic burn zone for future grass in that area?

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:39 pm

I have a 4x8x6 pen I keep mine in. 2x2 frame covered with chicken wire. Old fence boards are laid across the top to minimize the amount of rain that comes in. I can easily keep 30+ birds for an extended period of time if needed.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com