english setters

hrchunter

english setters

Post by hrchunter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:28 pm

hey everybody i just wanted to hear every bit of info on english setters i could get.i would really like to get one in the future even though that could be a while from now i just wanted to hear what their like attitide and hunting wiseand anything else you think i should know.thanks for the info everybody
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:39 pm

hrchunter, I am with you! I have a GSP now and could not be happier! I am looking to expand into the setter world also. I have been following a few hard running horseback/coverdog lines including See Johnny Run, Guy Begone, Tommy B many of the Berg Brothers lines along with Tekoa Mtn Setters.

I will be following this thread as well to see what others have to say. We need to clarify what we will "do" with these setters There is a big difference in the lines for foot hunters to AA FT'rs. I for one am looking for a setter to "pleasure" hunt for me and then be able to be put on the ground for a wild bird cover dog stake. Nose, Nose, Nose along with cover adaptability. LOVE those 12 o'clock stick straight tails!
Greg

Scott

Post by Scott » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:17 pm

I am no expert on the English Setters. I have a 4 year old female that lives with 2 brittany's. The English Setter is a very good natured dog. We got her when my son was 3. The brits would mow over my son but she would kind of stand by him and it seemed like the setter was watching over him. She seems a bit softer than the brits, but this may be due to her breeding? One thing about her is she can run, it almost seems like that "12 o'clock stick straight tail" is more of a rudder than a tail. :) I have been told that the English Setters are slower to mature and this was the case with mine. I am not sure if this was just coincidence, breeding or what.

I would imagine that they are just like all other breeds, meaning depending on the lines you can get different traits. Our Setter is not a close range dog. Like I said she is soft compared to the brits but a great family dog.

I know Kninebirddog (Arlette) has quite a few of the setters. I believe they guide with them as well as trial. Arlette could probably give you some of the positives and negatives from their perspective.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:20 pm

I can share what I have experienced so far. I have 2 - 14 month old setters out of CH Guy Begone x Tamarak Sally Q from HiFive Kennels. Other dogs in the bloodline include CH Bodyguard, CH Tekoa Mountain Sunrise, CH Northern Alibi, CH Cash Master's Sunrise, CH Prenosil's Broadman, and Grouse Ridge Been.

These dogs have an excellent nose, great bird finding ability, are extremely classy on the ground, and have a lot of run. I primarily run them in the cover dog trials but did run one horse back trial this spring where my male (Merlin) placed second in the open puppy and my female (Zoey) placed first in the amatuer puppy. I have also found these dogs to be extremely smart and willing to please.

Merlin was hunted last fall at approx. 6 months of age and was pointing grouse and woodcock pretty well for as young as he was. I just aquired Zoey in April of this year so I did not have an opportunity to hunt her last fall, but I can tell you she is a bird finding nut.

Both of these dogs live in the house with my family and are excellent companions. I looked for over a year in deciding what breed to go with when I got Merlin. I had it narrowed down to an ES, Brittany or a GSP. I was fortunate to be able to hunt behind those breeds as well as several others before I nade my decision. Hunting behind the setter made my mind up for me and I haven't looked back.

The pic in my avatar is of Merlin from sometime last year and the pic in my signature line is Merlin from a couple of weeks ago.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:30 pm

If you are in VA, you should go to the coast and check out Stockley Kennels. Very nice people and they live for setters.

http://www.stockleykennels.com/
Colin

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Being a GSP man to the bone I have looked at getting a Setter or two. I have researched the RED SETTER a bit more than the English or Llwellin.
I have a few friends with the English. Wow what animals. I am really impressed with them.
One dog that I have seen on birds and has done well so far in NSTRA is a dog called Angies Dogwood Skipper. I know of a litter coming from him out of another really nice female. If I had some contact info I would pass on. The owner of the male is Ed Murdock. I lie not I was real impressed with this setter! Know to find out if this dog will produce himself or better is the test!

hrchunter

Post by hrchunter » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:50 pm

thanks so far for the info.i was lookin primarily for a pleasure huntin dog and a family companion.i am gettin ready to start runnin my lab in hunt tests so i also want another friend for my lab and the family chessy.from what i have seen i have been really impressed with britts and english setters.i just don't know exactly know which way i would go.around here the only wild birds i would be able to get my hands on to hunt would be grouse,i know of a few wma's that have quail but both the grouse and quail populations are really low.how are english setters on retrieveing because i would also like to do a little dove hunting with it and my lab.thanks again
if u can't do it with a dog it aint worth doin

huntin dogs are like potato chips you can't have just one.

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:31 pm

My setter is from Tekoa Mountain kennels (Pacesetters equinoxX Tekoa Mountain Patriat) he is a good all around dog. I started hunting him late because of some family issues so he was just a house dog for the first 2 years and he is great with kids. he has a natural retrieve and likes to run and run and run somemore :D he took to training well but he is too smart for my liking :D I like the pointers better.

jhoughton

Setters...

Post by jhoughton » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:02 pm

You can't go wrong with a setter. I have a 2 year old Llewellin that is the best house dog I have ever owned and he is a machine in the field. They are usually too smart for their own good. They train real easy, but will definitely test you when they think they can get away with it. He has been hunted on wild and release quail in Georgia and has made a trip to New Hampshire for some grouse hunting.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:43 pm

If you are looking for a family/meat/hunting buddy dog go with an English with a little show in the background. I found that the show lines are alot more calmer. I dont mean go out and buy a show dog but find somthing with a few CH titles in there.

Also go with your typical English Setter compared to your Llewlin. I dont mean to knowck the breed but Llews were bred more for feild trials than a family dog. Not saying they are not good family dogs but the English are so much better at it with their calm sersonality.

I second the whole stand by the child thing. Our Irish will stand beside a youngster almost to make sure they dont fall over. We had a baby come over that was learning to walk and she grabbed a fist full of our setters hair and pulled herself up. Not evewn a flinch from the Irish she even let the baby walk all around her and pull her lips or ears without a movment.
She is so much different than our old birts or my GSP alot calmer and more collected around kids. She seems to know they are more delicate.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:58 pm

The setters I have dealt with are on a general rule slower to mature
Majority do seem to thrive on attention though we have had a few that are more for hunting then spending time with you...then I ahve seen plenty that are very soft

We have a line bred brannigan with destanarie on top and tomoka on the bottom he is calm but still being a pup he has more drive to go out and look around then some i have seen but this pup was also raise with alot more stimualtion...talk about a difference

Love my brittanys...but a setter is the next best thing in birddogs :D
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:07 pm

I have worked a half a dozen dogs from Bill Bickerts dogs in Fl. They are the nicest strs I have ever worked, smart, natural, nice tails, and train young. They go back to Greg Woods dog Max. Bill used to run NSTRA but parted ways with them and is starting in other things. He won the last couple of NBDC Nat`ls with the ones I worked. Real nie dogs.I have 3 in here now just as nice from his last breeding.
brenda

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:26 pm

Ryan wrote: Also go with your typical English Setter compared to your Llewlin. I dont mean to knowck the breed but Llews were bred more for feild trials than a family dog. Not saying they are not good family dogs but the English are so much better at it with their calm sersonality.

I think you have a mix up about the English and the Lew Setters.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:30 pm

Ryan wrote:If you are looking for a family/meat/hunting buddy dog go with an English with a little show in the background. I found that the show lines are alot more calmer. I dont mean go out and buy a show dog but find somthing with a few CH titles in there.
I have to respectfully disagree with that statement. The two dogs that I described above are from heavy field trial lines and they have been great companion dogs as well as FT dogs.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:35 am

Brenda,
Does Bill have a site to view his dogs? They are not on your site are they?
Thx, Greg

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:02 am

Bill has dogs in the UFTA National Championship photos as he keeps winning them :) Bomber won 2002 and here's Brutus for Feb 2006
http://www.ufta-online.com/field/nation ... 05Pictures

My dog is a natural retriever, never FFd but I looked for that specifically in the parents. She does not do as well for doves or ducks as she has learned to be moving to find birds but was introduced to that at 6 yrs old. Fabulous with our daughter and her friends and pretty calm in the house but a terror when the gun comes out :lol:
Colin

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:08 am

Bomber is the Sire of Brutus, I did not train Bomber, just Brutus and his brother Bruiser. No he does not have a website, as he just breeds about 1 litter a yr. I could pm you his no. tho.
brenda

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:30 am

Thx Brenda, no need for the number now. I am familiar with Greg Wood's dogs/success and I will follow Bill through the UFTA site. Also having you as an "eye"/professional witness also says a lot.

When the time comes, I will keep him in mind.
Thx again - Greg

ditchparrot19

Post by ditchparrot19 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:51 pm

I have a female English setter that will turn 2 in September, and she's a joy to have around. She likes to roughhouse occasionally with my much-stronger Lab, but she is beyond gentle around people.

She's the first setter I've owned or spent much time around, but here are some things I've experienced with her:

– She can't deal with loud noises around the house. A broom falling onto the floor or a plastic dish sliding into an empty sink sends her scurrying for the doggie door. I thought there might be a problem with gunshyness, but no sir buddy! She's absolutely thrilled by the sound of gunfire, and has been from day 1. Can't figure that one out.

– She can't deal with a lot of training pressure (just the opposite of my Lab, who can take 100 X the amount I'm capable of putting on him without batting an eye). We worked on the whoa post for awhile, but as soon as I let her off she'd go hide under the deck for a couple of hours.

– She's not a natural retriever, and because of the whoa-post experience, I haven't force-fetched her. Still don't know what to do about that. She'll run down a wing-tipped bird and kill it (she's even done this with big, wild rooster pheasants), but I have to mark the spot where she does it, because she's off hunting again as soon as it's dead.

– At this point, she enjoys water but is a very, very, very poor swimmer. She tries to follow the Lab away from shore sometimes and I'm always afraid she's going to drown.

– I took her on a late-season quail hunt in a hilly, wooded area, and she went into a frenzy when she experienced deer for the first time. She quickly got out of range of the e-collar and, to make a long story short, I didn't get her back until a guy who runs cattle in the area came across her 3 days later. I put up a pretty good front around the family, but I was afraid we were never going to see her again.

I was originally attracted to the breed because a gun club I visit frequently has a bunch of them, and I fell in love with their dispositions. Also, I love to watch them work in the field. In those areas, I've gotten far more than my money's worth out of her.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:42 pm

http://www.nationallsa.com/am-llew1.htm

Here's a good read on the field side of llewellins, quite a few years ago but they used to be major trial dogs and may have had a impact on today's english field setters.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

big steve46

english setters

Post by big steve46 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:36 pm

Owned setters for 30 years. Hunted with several other breeds. Love all pointing breeds. Presently own a 9 year old Llewellin dog. Setters have to be the most beautiful of all the breeds but I am biased.
big steve