Those of you who microchipped your dogs...

steelefx4

Those of you who microchipped your dogs...

Post by steelefx4 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:21 pm

What company did you use? I want to get my new GSP pup microchipped. I don't know how they work exactly, so I want to make sure that whichever company I go with it will be readable anywhere in the US as it is likely that I will be transferred to another region of the US at some point...military life at its best!

Jake

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Re: Those of you who microchipped your dogs...

Post by AHGSP » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 pm

Whichever brand you choose, choose the ISO Standard chips. I personally chip with the AKC CAR chips. They're just slightly more expensive than the "bargain" chips.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

steelefx4

Post by steelefx4 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Thanks for the info...since the chip you mention..."AKC CAR"...has AKC in the name, I would assume that it is endorsed or produced by the AKC?

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 pm

AVID has been around for ever. Makes me lean towards them.
Home again is another.
ResQ is another.

One of them charges a monthly fee though and one charges an activation fee. DOnt remember which.

Important thing to remember is to update info.Have several back up numbers. I think that is where most go wrong.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

steelefx4

Post by steelefx4 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:38 pm

looked up that AKC CAR program and microchips...any suggestions on where to go to get these? I have the pup getting his shots at Petsmart and would assume that they offer these although after scouring their website for anything microchip related, I have yet to find any info on it the process at all...

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:48 pm

I have all of them, sort of by accident. Avid took a LONG time to get the paperwork back.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:19 am

I used to order AVIDS but now I order ProID

You can read up on the different companies here http://www.microchipidsystems.com/
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:00 am

I just had a dog chipped with Home Again, although it wasn't completely by choice. Dr. who did her OFA xrays said she HAD to be chipped for it. I was pretty sure he was wrong, since OFA's form said "tattoo or microchip (if any)". I questioned it, so he stepped out of the room for 2 minutes and supposedly called OFA, and said that's the way it was. I was 2.5 hours from home and it took 2 weeks to get that appointment, so I did it. I didn't have time to research chips or anything, and the radiologist didn't even know what brand the clinic used, so I hope I spent my money on a good one. :?

Not sure where the H.A. form went, but I think it was $10 to activate and then $15 yearly subscription.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 am

Dogs do not HAVE to be chipped for OFA...I do not get where some vets have twisted this....at this time it is AKC that requires a dog to be permanently ID'd and vet verified in order to have the OFA as part of dogs Public record IE that it will go on dogs pedigrees and registration

you can verify this http://www.offa.org/pi.html
Dogs without permanent identification are assigned a NOPI suffix to the end of their OFA numbers, dogs with acceptable permanent ID are assigned a PI suffix, and dogs with VERIFIED permanent identification are assigned a VPI suffix.

However, only those dogs with VERIFIED PERMANENT IDENTIFICATION VIA MICROCHIP OR TATTOO will have their OFA hip and elbow information transmitted to the AKC for inclusion on AKC pedigrees and registration materials.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:18 am

wems2371 wrote:I just had a dog chipped with Home Again, although it wasn't completely by choice. Dr. who did her OFA xrays said she HAD to be chipped for it. I was pretty sure he was wrong, since OFA's form said "tattoo or microchip (if any)". I questioned it, so he stepped out of the room for 2 minutes and supposedly called OFA, and said that's the way it was. I was 2.5 hours from home and it took 2 weeks to get that appointment, so I did it. I didn't have time to research chips or anything, and the radiologist didn't even know what brand the clinic used, so I hope I spent my money on a good one. :?

Not sure where the H.A. form went, but I think it was $10 to activate and then $15 yearly subscription.

I've used HA for years. No problems yet. The yearly subscription is deceiving. That is for the premium type service. The initial fee will put your chip on their database for life.

Doug

Benny

Post by Benny » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:19 am

In addition to all the good stuff above, please call your County Animal Services (the pound), and double check with them on their recommendations. Actually you can get it done their usually at very good price. ***The county will be the one that picks your dog up off the street...not any of these companies stationed in Detroit/India.

I used to work at our county dog jail, and believe me or not, some of the chips wouldn't show on our scanner. I learned that from an owner one afternoon that came in and was so thankful she'd chipped her dog with some high dollar company, I hapened to be the handler that did the intake on that dog and the only way I found to contact her was the dogs 3 year old county registration tag on his collar. "what chip?" she was not pleased.

Maybe technology has caught up though, I do know we picked up MOST chips.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:26 am

Yeah, I came home and researched it, to see if I was crazy. I actually have discharge instructions, which arrived a week later in the mail :D, that say:

"Due to OFA regulations, Brandi was in need of being microchipped before submission of the radiographs, so a microchip was placed under the skin between her should blades."

I have been sent a comment sheet by the veterinary medical center, so I think I will return it, with a printout from OFA's page. I had considered chipping her, and am glad her OFA will show on her AKC records, but I'm not happy that it was done based on misinformation.

Doug, that is great to know! I wondered what would happen if I slipped on reregistering.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:58 am

wems2371 wrote:I just had a dog chipped with Home Again, although it wasn't completely by choice. Dr. who did her OFA xrays said she HAD to be chipped for it. I was pretty sure he was wrong, since OFA's form said "tattoo or microchip (if any)". I questioned it, so he stepped out of the room for 2 minutes and supposedly called OFA, and said that's the way it was. I was 2.5 hours from home and it took 2 weeks to get that appointment, so I did it. I didn't have time to research chips or anything, and the radiologist didn't even know what brand the clinic used, so I hope I spent my money on a good one. :?

Wems, someone else has already mentioned it, but there are some companies that charge you a yearly subscription for PREMIUM SERVICES that you don't need. If you have a Home Again chip there is no need the pay the yearly premium, your chip info is available without paying the subscription. I believe Avid is the same way but I'm not 100% positive.
Last edited by nikegundog on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 am

Microchipping may save a dog but it's not all it's cracked up to be in my opinion.

If someone finds your lost dog and keeps it, as happened to me, chipping didn't help.
Not all animal control places have a microchip reader.
Chips migrate on the dogs' body.

I'm still microchipping my dogs, but realize it's noth the whole answer.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tahi193

Post by tahi193 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:54 pm

I used ResQ because that is the brand the veterinarian recommended. The local humane society here won't microchip dogs who aren't spayed/neutered. One thing that bothered me about my pup's chip is that a vet tech implanted it. I'm sure she was deemed qualified by the veterinarian but it still bothered me a little. That's a BIG needle going very close to a lot of nervous tissue. :?

sully511

Post by sully511 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:28 pm

I have used Home Again with no problems and as stated above, the yearly fee is not necessary. If you want help with making posters and stuff if your dog is lost, then yes do the yearly fee. My Brittany got chipped with the AKC CAR one. I am not pleased at all!! His chip, implanted where they are supposed to be above the shoulder blades has migrated and is now on his chest. It's literally 2 inches above his sternum, on his ribs. If he gets lost and happens to be scanned, I'm not sure his chip will be found..... The Home Again ones are supposed to stay put or very little migration because of the design of the casing.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:53 pm

Our shelter uses Home Again and charges $30 for the chip "installation" for lack of a better word. I am absolutely in favor of chips and all 11 of our dogs have them now. They didn't all have them prior to the tornado in Joplin, where I went down to work a few days after the tornado - and I will tell you, chips ABSOLUTELY are worth their weight in gold in an emergency like that. Chipping and crate training....the two things that I will never neglect to do with any pet I own again. The chipped dogs were reunited with owners so much quicker than the non-chipped ones.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:05 am

We microchip our dogs and clients dogs on request with HomeAgain chips as they are not affiliated or linked to the HSUS.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

thedogmother

Post by thedogmother » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:46 pm

I have used Home Again with no problems.

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:11 pm

I agree with Sharon, your dog has to be found by someone honest. If this was trackable by GPS it would be worth the money. I once found a Chocolate Lab pup in Kansas, we had it checked for a chip but found nothing. The vet asked me if we wanted to check. If iam dishonest i just say no and be on my way. If anyone on here knows of trackable chips let the rest of us know.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Most people will try and have a dog checked for a chip...Only big problem is when an owner doesn't spend the 20 or 25 bucks to register the chip in their name

Thieves are thieves but I would much rather take a chance on that chip to helping to return my dog one way or another then not have it at all

I do know where a chip help return a picked up dog that had owners name and number on the collar and the dog got away from the person and animal control picked the dog up scanned and the rightful owner 9 months later got his dog back...With out that chip that would have never happened