Raw neck - collar?

crazyboy

Raw neck - collar?

Post by crazyboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Ok guys, I'm having problems with my pointers neck being raw. It seems to be right between where the collar clip and tags would be hanging. I originally had thought it was from the ecollar, however even with little use the neck is raw and it is lower on the neck than the ecollar usually sits. I had him in a TransFlex collar and thought that it was the problem, since that's where the clip was so I switched him over to a standard nylon collar, however it appears the problem has not improved. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, or even if not, does anyone have input on something to try?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Raw neck - collar?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:57 pm

M-T-G, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Vetricyn.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 pm

110% sure that it is the collar? It could be something else and the collar is getting the blame because it's in the area and seems the most obvious choice,How old is this dog?Does the dog scratch at the spot or leave it alone?Because you changed collar type and style I'd lean towards something like localized demodectic mange especially if the area has a funk type odor to it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Or localized staph, including MRSA.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:M-T-G, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, Vetricyn.
Will have to try that.
110% sure that it is the collar? It could be something else and the collar is getting the blame because it's in the area and seems the most obvious choice,How old is this dog?Does the dog scratch at the spot or leave it alone?Because you changed collar type and style I'd lean towards something like localized demodectic mange especially if the area has a funk type odor to it.
Am I positive it is the collar? No. It does seem that if I leave the collar off for a little that it gets slightly better, but it doesn't go away. The dog is ~16 months. He occasionally scratches at the area, but not non stop. It doesn't look nearly as bad as any photos I've seen of mange, but I'm no vet.
Or localized staph, including MRSA.
It doesn't look as bad as any photos I've seen of staph/MRSA but again, I'm not a vet.

I've attached a picture.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:41 pm

I think you have staph in the hair folicles. Have a boy recovering from a lick granuloma on a wrist that required a depo shot and ceph to get ahead of. He kept the hair broken off and the infection got dug in, so to speak.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:48 pm

Unless you leave the e-collar on all the time , it isn't the e-collar. It puts out no amperage.

Putting any collar over a wet neck can lead to an infection/abrasion.

Leave all collars off until it heals.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Mr. JFH

Post by Mr. JFH » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:50 pm

Sharon wrote: Leave all collars off until it heals.

+1

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:49 pm

Not an expert either but from the picture you've provided it looks a whole lot like the localized Mange my pointer had many years ago,The age of the dog is what makes me suspect the mange as well as a quick perusal of your perfect pedigree, many of the same players as the pointer I had.My battle with it started at 18 months and was a tough 6 months up the hill,It started with a small spot that I blamed on something obvious and then almost overnight............. wham all over the place,armpits chest.I've had a couple dogs with the demo,on the second one I got all over it quick and it was easily cured by applying a mixture of Mitoban and baby oil,twice a day.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:24 pm

I had something that looked very similar on one of my pointers, I had a fairly tight fitting day glo collar on him. I removed the collar all together and let it heal, it took several months for it to be completly un-noticable.

Weeds has a very good point my dog had some of the same players as yours but closer up. I did not take my dog to the vet just beause the condition got better once I took the collar off. I have since replaced the dayglo collar with a leather one and have not had any trouble since.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:43 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:I think you have staph in the hair folicles. Have a boy recovering from a lick granuloma on a wrist that required a depo shot and ceph to get ahead of. He kept the hair broken off and the infection got dug in, so to speak.
Ok. We'll be going to the Vet soon for some more shots so I'm going to have them check it out.
Unless you leave the e-collar on all the time , it isn't the e-collar. It puts out no amperage.

Putting any collar over a wet neck can lead to an infection/abrasion.

Leave all collars off until it heals.
I didn't mean amperage wise, I thought irritation or rubbing, but that isn't the case either way. It's rather difficult to leave the collar off all the time sine I'd like for him to have a tag on, but it is what it is.

Not an expert either but from the picture you've provided it looks a whole lot like the localized Mange my pointer had many years ago,The age of the dog is what makes me suspect the mange as well as a quick perusal of your perfect pedigree, many of the same players as the pointer I had.My battle with it started at 18 months and was a tough 6 months up the hill,It started with a small spot that I blamed on something obvious and then almost overnight............. wham all over the place,armpits chest.I've had a couple dogs with the demo,on the second one I got all over it quick and it was easily cured by applying a mixture of Mitoban and baby oil,twice a day.
Not exactly what I was hoping to hear, but it is surely helpful! I am trying butt paste at the moment, but am going to see what the vet suggests applying.

I had something that looked very similar on one of my pointers, I had a fairly tight fitting day glo collar on him. I removed the collar all together and let it heal, it took several months for it to be completly un-noticable.

Weeds has a very good point my dog had some of the same players as yours but closer up. I did not take my dog to the vet just beause the condition got better once I took the collar off. I have since replaced the dayglo collar with a leather one and have not had any trouble since.
I have to go to the vet anyway for some shots, so it can't hurt to ask them while I'm there. It seems its either mange or the collars or both.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:47 pm

After a closer look, aka, the whole picture, I can tell you that I've see Lupine collars cause a lot of skin irritation and hair breakage. The edge is very hard. Your dog probably has a combination of things causing the dermatitis.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:52 am

duralon collar when you are healed up.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

Ahumphers91a

Post by Ahumphers91a » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:39 am

THats from the ecollar. use warm soapy water everytime you take the collar off. Let it dry plenty. you are just leaving the collar on too long.

tnbndr

Post by tnbndr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 am

I have two dogs and one always had a raw neck, not as bad as yours but ugly and irritating. I tried all kinds of collars, etc and finally settled on the collars below. I left all collars off until healed, except when out for a walk etc.
I determined that the other collars were holding moisture and took too long to dry which created an environment for bacteria and irritation. She has been good for over a year now although she will always have a sensitive neck area.

http://www.thedogoutdoors.com/waterproo ... llars.html

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 am

I have used the durolon collars from Gndog Supply as long as I have been in dogs on the recomendation of our breeder who has been in this a LOT longer than I have. They have had no issues and neither have we. They do not hold moisture, are easy to care for and maintain and last FOREVER. I've been through more name plates as we moved or my phone number changed, but the colars last and last.
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:14 am

Thanks for the input on collars guys. Looking at the Durasoft collars for once he's healed up. Not sure the difference between Duralon and Durasoft.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 am

I think the difference is this:

Duralon is a nylon colar coating ina rubber-like material that is water proof, extremely durable and comes in a TON of different colors.

Durasoft is more like permatack and is like rubberized leather. I have a durasoft colar and it did not hold up. It seemed permeable to water and mud and then dried and deteriorated. It split and cracked.

Just an FYI.

Are you close to a Cabelas, Gander Mountain or BPS? They have a version of the duralon and you can see what I am talking about. I have permatack that is more like the durasoft. I hope this helps.

Justin

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:33 am

Loosening the collar a little might help......looks a little snug. The long brass name plate flopping around could be causing the irritation also.
crazyboy wrote:Image
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:44 pm

I order all my collars from Lion Country Supply. For $1.50, they'll engrave and put a name plate on the collar for you.

I ordered 6 collars on Sunday, all with name plates, and they arrived on Tuesday. These were NOT replacement collars...they were 13" collars for our 2 new pups, 15" collars for them to grow into, and then 2 with nameplates for field trial use (orange & green).

The dogs have been wearing the original ones I purchased for nearly 2 yrs and all are perfect.

http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Leather-Fee ... tinfo/LFO/
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Coveyrise64 wrote:Loosening the collar a little might help......looks a little snug. The long brass name plate flopping around could be causing the irritation also.
crazyboy wrote:Image
It's not quite as tight as it looks in the picture, I can fit a good four fingers under it. The long brass plate is the "bleep" Town Registration tag :roll: It is looking a lot better since I have had the collar off and have been applying butt paste.

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Buckeye_V wrote:I think the difference is this:

Duralon is a nylon colar coating ina rubber-like material that is water proof, extremely durable and comes in a TON of different colors.

Durasoft is more like permatack and is like rubberized leather. I have a durasoft colar and it did not hold up. It seemed permeable to water and mud and then dried and deteriorated. It split and cracked.

Just an FYI.

Are you close to a Cabelas, Gander Mountain or BPS? They have a version of the duralon and you can see what I am talking about. I have permatack that is more like the durasoft. I hope this helps.

Justin
Surely don't want the durasoft collar if that's going to happen. Unfortunately I don't have any of those stores around. I'm assuming the Duralon is softer than the Transflex. This collar shopping is rather difficult!

crazyboy

Post by crazyboy » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Karen wrote:I order all my collars from Lion Country Supply. For $1.50, they'll engrave and put a name plate on the collar for you.

I ordered 6 collars on Sunday, all with name plates, and they arrived on Tuesday. These were NOT replacement collars...they were 13" collars for our 2 new pups, 15" collars for them to grow into, and then 2 with nameplates for field trial use (orange & green).

The dogs have been wearing the original ones I purchased for nearly 2 yrs and all are perfect.

http://www.lcsupply.com/LCS-Leather-Fee ... tinfo/LFO/
Thanks! I will take them into consideration.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Trial and error, but we're here to help :P