First egg

isonychia

First egg

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:29 am

Been a while since I posted on here, very busy lately. Just wanted to share the news (not that it is amazing) that I got my first pigeon pair. I noticed they paired up and was thinking any minute now... which ended up being last night! Young pair and mom is incubating the solo egg, hopefully the male is OK he got tangled in some fishing line (no idea how... he has been in loft since I bought them 2-3 months ago) and one of his feet got embedded pretty bad before I noticed and was able to cut the line off, he doesn't use that foot at all anymore but these are pigeons we are talking about here. Anyways, hope to be able to train with some youngins in a few months! Very excited, might just get a month of bird work in before next grouse season when I will be moving again and can start the pigeons all over :-/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: First egg

Post by ultracarry » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:43 am

If your still in durango at the beginning of grouse season ill be willing to show you some great spots to bag a lot of birds.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:06 pm

isonychia wrote:Been a while since I posted on here, very busy lately. Just wanted to share the news (not that it is amazing) that I got my first pigeon pair. I noticed they paired up and was thinking any minute now... which ended up being last night! Young pair and mom is incubating the solo egg, hopefully the male is OK he got tangled in some fishing line (no idea how... he has been in loft since I bought them 2-3 months ago) and one of his feet got embedded pretty bad before I noticed and was able to cut the line off, he doesn't use that foot at all anymore but these are pigeons we are talking about here. Anyways, hope to be able to train with some youngins in a few months! Very excited, might just get a month of bird work in before next grouse season when I will be moving again and can start the pigeons all over :-/
Your hen is just hovering that egg to keep it room temp or so. She will lay another egg the in the afternoon of the second day after she laid the first one and then both the hen and cock will start to incubate them. They will hatch 18 days after the firt egg was laid. Just hope the cock wasn't hurt too bad to fertilize the eggs.

Good luck,

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:37 pm

If all goes as planned I'll be in Durango for a while, I'm just going to move a bit out of town and rent a small place with property so I can garden, raise bees, chickens, and most of all train my dog in the back yard. I'd love to go hunting with you ultracarry. I'll be hunting elk in bow season as well... September is going to be a great month!

Ezzy... I did notice that the hen was off the egg in the warmth of the afternoon, I guess it is a good idea not to let them freeze and I guess she knew that. I checked the cock again today to make sure I got all of the fishing line off, I think he might loose a toe... I know how birds mate, and their feet are pretty important, however hormones are powerful drugs. The good news is that I now think I have 5 males and 5 hens and they all seem to be pairing, the guy I bought them from did me right. I think the males are the lighter of the two and look like texas pioneers while the females are darker like the one in the photo, who knows but I guess I'll find out.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 am

You can also tell the sex of the birds by their toes...hold the toes together and you will see the males uneven and the females shorter and even.
"Most certainly there are no things in this world can equal the love of God, Family, Friends and a great Bird Dog."
www.OutlawGundogs.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:33 am

Outlaw wrote:You can also tell the sex of the birds by their toes...hold the toes together and you will see the males uneven and the females shorter and even.
Are you aware that Cher Ami, the WWII hero died when he was something like 12 years old and they had him mounted and placed in the museum. Strange thing was he was a she and they never knew it. I have a hen here now that is 4 years old that I had to move out of the cocks loft where she had been for the past 3 years. And I have 50 youngsters on the ground so far and don't have a clue what sex they are.

There just is not a way to tell till they tell you by their actions. You may have an idea but you never know.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 am

I read on a pigeon forum that the average life of a pigeon is 15 yrs and some live past 20 yrs. The oldest recorded was 30 yrs. Don't know that it's all true but I have had some on my ferals a long long time.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Vision

Post by Vision » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:28 pm

Your hen is not hovering over the egg to keep it warm so the babies hatch on time, that is complete hogwash.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Vision wrote:Your hen is not hovering over the egg to keep it warm so the babies hatch on time, that is complete hogwash.
You know not of what you speak.

Ezzy

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Well the male doesn't seem to be doing his part during the day now that there are 2 eggs. They may not even be fertile. Going to candle in a week and toss the eggs if nothing is there.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:19 pm

isonychia wrote:I checked the cock again today to make sure I got all of the fishing line off, I think he might loose a toe... I know how birds mate, and their feet are pretty important, however hormones are powerful drugs.
I bought a beautiful pair of red? homers this fall. Both were banded and around 5+ years old. I had them about 2 months and then the male had an issue. I don't know why, but his leg below the band swelled, and probably a few days before I noticed. I cut the band off, but he stopped using the leg for the most part. I thought we were good, but about a month later he died. :cry: Hope you have better luck than me with your male bird.