The how, when and why of Debolting

pointshootretrieve

The how, when and why of Debolting

Post by pointshootretrieve » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Was wondering if someone could shed some light on Debolt training, it's purpose, etc.

ymepointer

Re: The how, when and why of Debolting

Post by ymepointer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 am

Well if I am not mistaken this has to do with Bolting which is basically a dog heading for the horizon at the first chance to self hunt. Old timers employed horses to run down a bolter and then convinced him the error of his ways with a whip If I recall correclty, E-collars are the preferred method these days.

Redfishkilla

Post by Redfishkilla » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am

I thought debolting was needed during force fetch. The dog knows pressure is coming and "bolts" to try and avoid it. I've only FF one dog and she ran to her kennel when we walked by it doing hold and heel. I fixed it with the e-collar in two FF sessions. IMO, and I know very little, it is basically solidifying the here and heel command a little more. Evan G, talks about it in smartwork. I didn’t think mine would try it but she did, not a big deal really.

bumper52

Post by bumper52 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:12 pm

De-bolting is used as a pressure conditioning process, usually at the conclusion of collar conditioning. It teaches a dog they have no option of escaping pressure. It teaches them to better handle pressure in the presence of distractions. The way I teach it is to work the dog in close proximity to safe hiding places, such as garage, kennel, etc. Walk the dog near such places, command sit, and nick with the collar. Continue to increase the pressure....you are actually inviting the dog to seek safety (to run away from the pressure. When the dog bolts, command here and use a mild continuous stimulation. Increase pressure until you get proper response (that is the dog promptly comes to you and learns bolting is not an option to escape pressure). It usually is only a one or two session process. Often times you won't really see the immediate benefits, but somewhere down the road, you will. It is basically solidifying your collar conditioning program by adding pressure as a distraction. Hope this helps.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm

I believe EVERY dog should be de-bolted, whether they need it or not. I de-bolt mine during the obedience and ff training, which every dog I own certainly goes through.

De-bolting is simply removing every safe haven the dog has; these include distance from you, the car, your house, your kids, his dog house, his kennel, etc; any place he thinks is safe you teach him isn't. You have to be very unfair and unyielding with him.

At first, always have him on a cc. It is easiest done with an ecollar. If you don't have one of those, it's the old marble and slingshot or BB gun. I prefer the ecollar. Now first, the dog should pretty much be through obedience at this point. Start with him on a cc. Sit or whoa the dog, walk away, command HERE harshly and give a good jerk on the cc. If he doesn't come, and he probably won't, command HERE again, jerk on the cc roughly, and nick him with the collar. Keep it up until he comes to you. Doesn't matter if he comes fast or slow, as long as he comes.

Once he does that reliably, start with temptations. Open the door of the house or kennel, and when the dog runs in, command HERE harshly and cc him out or nick and collar him out. Do the same thing with the truck, kennel, dog house, or a family member if he runs to their side. You are teaching the dog that the ONLY safe place in his entire world is AT YOUR SIDE.

Your family will hate it but once he comes 100% of the time, anytime, anyplace, anywhere, he's done and you can pat yourself on the back; very likely you've just saved the dog's life.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

pointshootretrieve

Post by pointshootretrieve » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks for the explanation. Do you fear that the dog when pressured will come to heel when say commanded to WOAH? Or maybe while handling on a blind the dog allows the pressure to get the best of him and returns to your side?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:27 am

Never. Training is all about equal balance. If you have trained the dog thoroughly in all commands, he won't get confused and default to the most well taught or enforced. If you whoa the dog and he gets nervous and comes to you, simply and patiently set him back and reinforce WHOA. He has to know what all the commands mean. With me, I teach whoa with heel and here, all simutaneously. If the dog develops any default response, I want it to be whoa. Later on I add down and force breaking.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.