All breed hunting contest ?

Francois P vd Walt

All breed hunting contest ?

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:53 pm

How are we going to arrange a all breed, all countries best dogs competition competing !
1. Best bird dog(most finds)
2. Best trained dog(best disciplined dog)
3. Best overall/complete dog hunt, point and retrieve ?

Is this possible ?
Or
Will politics and logistics be the cause to this not happening ?

Johng918

Re: All breed hunting contest ?

Post by Johng918 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:How are we going to arrange a all breed, all countries best dogs competition competing !

Is this possible ?
Or
Why would you want that you just posted in another topic "who the heck cares how well your dog is trained"

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:34 pm

Johng918 wrote:
Francois P vd Walt wrote:How are we going to arrange a all breed, all countries best dogs competition competing !

Is this possible ?
Or
Why would you want that you just posted in another topic "who the heck cares how well your dog is trained"

That was aimed at guys hunting not competing !

These guys don't all train their dogs to the standards required in a open stake, but enough to have a good day out hunting and bagging some birds. Ha !

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:01 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:
Johng918 wrote:
Francois P vd Walt wrote:How are we going to arrange a all breed, all countries best dogs competition competing !1. Best bird dog(most finds)2. Best trained dog(best disciplined dog)3. Best overall/complete dog hunt, point and retrieve ?Is this possible ?OrWill politics and logistics be the cause to this not happening ?
That was aimed at guys hunting not competing !These guys don't all train their dogs to the standards required in a open stake, but enough to have a good day out hunting and bagging some birds. Ha !
Then it was aimed at me because I only hunt thats why I asked the question.

Why you got to Ha me I dont even know what you mean by that? my little girl says that all time but im sure you meant it in a different way.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 pm

John918
I am sorry if a offended you, could be a language barrier me being a afrikaans guy in S. Africa I love hunting and my dogs.

It would be a honour to see al the beautiful dogs on the photo's run !
I would not care if I come stone last with my dogs in this contest, knowing on the day the best dog might be the last the next day.

We for one don't have a big variety of dogs hunting or in trials, mainly Gsp some EP have seen 3 visla's and 2 lwellen setters that is it.
I would give both to spend a day or two with the top guys in each breed to get tips on training and breeding & would give more to hunt with the hunters and have a ale/beer after the hunt. Maybe you pour the drinks today or me cause my dog fed yours carrots ....

A good braai(piece of meat on the fire) many laughs and sharing things that have gone well and wrong while hunting with your dogs.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:58 am

I would not care if I come stone last with my dogs in this contest, knowing on the day the best dog might be the last the next day.
This is very true.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 am

A pointless competition I would think. However, when it comes to the fact that "hunters don't care how well their (or others) dogs are trained, I beg to differ. I seriously get jumpy when I'm hunting with someone who has an undisciplined dog and makes no effort to stop it running through points, chasing up singles and generally making shooting difficult. Getting a dog trial ready is a good way to sharpen up manners, but silverware doesn't nessecarilly mean dogs are ones I'd like to own, breed or shoot over.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:43 am

Nick Miles wrote:A pointless competition I would think. However, when it comes to the fact that "hunters don't care how well their (or others) dogs are trained, I beg to differ. I seriously get jumpy when I'm hunting with someone who has an undisciplined dog and makes no effort to stop it running through points, chasing up singles and generally making shooting difficult. Getting a dog trial ready is a good way to sharpen up manners, but silverware doesn't nessecarilly mean dogs are ones I'd like to own, breed or shoot over.
I agree, I don't think it is a fact at all that hunters don't care how well their [or others] dogs are trained. Hunters that I know certainly do care how well their dogs are trained, even if, for some, a dog may be trained a little differently for hunting as opposed to trialing and for others, not much difference at all.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:John918
I am sorry if a offended you, could be a language barrier me being a afrikaans guy in S. Africa I love hunting and my dogs.

It would be a honour to see al the beautiful dogs on the photo's run !

We for one don't have a big variety of dogs hunting or in trials, mainly Gsp some EP have seen 3 visla's and 2 lwellen setters that is it.
I would give both to spend a day or two with the top guys in each breed to get tips on training and breeding & would give more to hunt with the hunters and have a ale/beer after the hunt. Maybe you pour the drinks today or me cause my dog fed yours carrots ....

A good braai(piece of meat on the fire) many laughs and sharing things that have gone well and wrong while hunting with your dogs.
Im not offended at all we all don't always agree with each other on everything, If you ever make it this way let me know Ill be happy to hunt with you we still have a few wild birds around this area.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 pm

I think it6's a good idea, one problem. Which set of standards from which country would you use? I hate to say style is unimportant in some country's, probably important is the wrong word. What is considered style changes around the world. They'res is not wrong and neither is ours, just different. heck even in this country we can't all agree what is important and what is not. Great idea though. I could not afford to go but if the good fairy drops off all the money she owes me, with intrest for the last 60yrs, I could do it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Which is better trained, the one who can be sent to a stand of trees from 800 yards away and will work the stand then find the front, or the one that works at a constant 50 yards in front, sweeping side to side on command and finding every bird that the handler would have walked up on his own?

How we gonna define BEST?

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:03 pm

It would not matter most birds found will earn points, birds left behind could cost you the next draw ....
It doesn't have to be complicated, hunting in at least 5 countries would make it more fair if one is looking for the most versetile dog. This would also be very expensive but dreaming is allowed if you own a hunting dog ! :D

The biggest thing is to see all the breeds work THEN ONLY one can make up your mind for oneself on your favourite breed. :wink:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:07 am

Here you go, Francois. Have fun.

http://www.akc.org/events/field_trials/ ... _cup/2008/

The person featured is a member of this forum.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:54 am

Francois, the thing is that as many breeds you have and as many braces as you run, you are going to have differing opinions. What one man likes another may not. My opinion of style, range and pace may be counter to yours, and so on and so on. The dogs that are driven with more than a sprinkling of ability and hunting nous are always on the edge and usually, when it comes to trials, they are the first to be shown the door. You can win a trial with a mediocre dog that has good manners. There will never be consensus. But it's a nice thought.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:17 am

Nick Miles wrote: The dogs that are driven with more than a sprinkling of ability and hunting nous are always on the edge and usually, when it comes to trials, they are the first to be shown the door. You can win a trial with a mediocre dog that has good manners.
This is just the opposite of how dogs are judged around here...

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:49 am

Kmack wrote:
Nick Miles wrote: The dogs that are driven with more than a sprinkling of ability and hunting nous are always on the edge and usually, when it comes to trials, they are the first to be shown the door. You can win a trial with a mediocre dog that has good manners.
What kind of trials are you referring to? edit: By the way, I'm not a huge trial fan and I'm certainly not trying to stir up the hunt/trial debate. I did notice a bit of sensitivity to it!

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:21 am

Mostly AF trials in this area.
Steve

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Nick Miles wrote:
Kmack wrote:
What kind of trials are you referring to? edit: By the way, I'm not a huge trial fan and I'm certainly not trying to stir up the hunt/trial debate. I did notice a bit of sensitivity to it!
My reply was not based on sensitivity at all. I was merely highlighting the comment to which I was responding. It doesn't bother me in the least that your perspective differs from mine.

I noticed your location and thought that perhaps judges are looking for something a lot different in South Africa than in middle America.

I have followed judges, talked to numerous top level field trialers and run dogs in mostly AF All Age and Shooting Dog trials. To a person, a dog on the edge with acceptable manners and/or style will be given the nod over a mediocre dog with good manners and numerous finds. There may always be exceptions but my limited experience has shown this to be the norm.

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 am

It is true the medicore dogs make less mistakes and are easier to steady, that is why they do better in trials. BUT WHEN that on the edge dog gets it right ........ then they make your heart melt and bring tears to your eyes with joy ! (IMO)

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:It is true the medicore dogs make less mistakes and are easier to steady,
IMO it's cooperation that make dogs easier to steady. Has nothing to do with a dog being mediocore. A dog that is alway on the edge is great to watch when doing it right. Can be a bear to maintain. I would rather have cooperation and low maintanance.