Chew toys?

WillieELk78GSP

Chew toys?

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:21 am

I had another thread on here about crate training and someone brought up proper chew toys, what are some good one's for an 8 week old pup that are safe, I have a couple of kongs, any suggestions on what I should get?
My 8 week old GsP wants to chew on everything!!!
Thanks, anything helps
will
God Bless

Ghosted3

Re: Chew toys?

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:26 am

The Nylabone is a good thing, the Kong stuff where you can hide treats inside, tennis balls are always fun, and also encourage the "retrieve" action. Mostly if it is really hard and wont become a choking hazard it is good to go, so rawhide bones / flat chews are not a good idea til they are older. I personally wouldnt get anything made from rope, plush toys, or anything with "small objects" that could come off and be swallowed. Hope this helps.

Corry

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:09 am

Nylabones are great and last a long time. When they get dirty you can stick them in the dishwasher. You can leave Nylabones with a pup without worrying.

The Kongs are great too especially the black ones. Beware of the knock-offs, because they are nowhere near the quality.

I used to buy cow hoofs but then my JRT broke two teeth and cost me $1,000.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:46 am

The only "stuffed" toy that we ever had around for more than a few days were the ones you stuff an empty water bottle in. Those lasted quite a while (like months) and the dogs LOVED the crinkling sound the water bottles made...and you could switch bottles out when they were totally trashed.

Other than that, Kongs, rope toys, and nylabones are the only things that survive our house that the dogs actually like.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Deuce

Chew toys?

Post by Deuce » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 am

Nylabones, ropes (throw in the laundry when dirty), kongs, and a Gatorade bottle with treats in it worked wonders for me. Know upfront that the Gatorade bottle makes noise and works better if at least 1 big treat is in it to prohibit the little ones falling out easily

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 am

Elk and deer antlers, all natural and she likes the marrow. Mine chewed on everything as well. The older she gets the more she seems to like the antlers.. Pig ears are also a good one, but I only gave her those a couple times a week. Also this is going to sound weird, but my GSP loves fruit and veggies. So I got the bright idea to buy some frozen peaches and blueberries and I gave her those. Not too many just a couple a day. I use them as a treat or cram the peaches into her kong so she can try to get them out. Currently she is eating raspberries off of our bushes in the back yard, which drives the wife crazy! Hope this helps.

John

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:12 pm

One thing to understand is at 8 weeks your pup can't and won't chew on really hard items as it hurts their teeth. At this age you can take wash cloths soak them in water with a little chicken broth or beef flavor and ring out by twisting then freeze the twisted cloth in a zip lock bag. Give them to the dog often expecially when in their crate.
Nylabone makes a softer bendable chew that is perfect for pups. http://www.dog.com/item/nylabone-puppyb ... ew/495641/
I have used 1 Pig Ear for really young pups up to 12 weeks maybe and then not again. Cow Hoof the same way.
KONG: http://www.dog.com/dog-toys/kong-toys/10/
Puppy Kongs are made from a softer rubber material but the RED Kong will work well until their adult teeth come in and then buy the Black ones. Black is he toughest rubber but to tough for young pups.
http://www.dog.com/item/classic-kong-ru ... oy/311406/

KONG Jumpin Jack toys works well for pups.
http://www.dog.com/item/kong-jump-n-jac ... oy/311419/

Like shoes for kids you will buy more than one type as they grow into adulthood.

Wholesale pet catalogs are much less money than retail pet stores.

Dog.com - http://www.dog.com/

PETEDGE - http://www.petedge.com/

Jeffers - http://www.jefferspet.com/wormx-ds-liqu ... SH/cn/160/

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:21 pm

mcbosco wrote:Nylabones are great and last a long time. When they get dirty you can stick them in the dishwasher. You can leave Nylabones with a pup without worrying.

The Kongs are great too especially the black ones. Beware of the knock-offs, because they are nowhere near the quality.

I used to buy cow hoofs but then my JRT broke two teeth and cost me $1,000.

Not Jack Russells. :) Mine bites off hunks of nylabone so i don't give it to him.
i don't use pig'ears or cow halves as they are prone to salmonella.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips, I was at our local pet store and they didn't carry nylabone there so she recommended this stick called a bully stick and these little alligators for a puppy and said that when I they get to small you need to take them away, are these items good? She seems to love them so right now they seem OK.
God Bless

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:03 pm

Petco, petsmart, any pet store should have nylabones. I also used the frozen washcloth when mine was young but only under supervision.

My dog will go through a nylabone every week and a half... Gets expensive but she would have to go through 15-20 before it costs the same as a pair of the wifes shoes.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:40 pm

ultracarry wrote:Petco, petsmart, any pet store should have nylabones. I also used the frozen washcloth when mine was young but only under supervision.

My dog will go through a nylabone every week and a half... Gets expensive but she would have to go through 15-20 before it costs the same as a pair of the wifes shoes.

Awesome quote at the end, never thought of it like that!!!!!
God Bless

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:26 pm

ultracarry wrote:My dog will go through a nylabone every week and a half... Gets expensive but she would have to go through 15-20 before it costs the same as a pair of the wifes shoes.
My wife can afford to lose some of her 30+ pair of shoes...but I dont want my pup to have to go through the pain of em coming out the other end :(

Corry

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

One kong trick I was taught was to fill it with wet dog food and freeze it. it went from a 2 minute treat to a 20 min treat, the freezing did not work as well with penut butter though, but better than room temp.

Deuce

Post by Deuce » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:23 pm

I put wet food in until it's almost full then I cover the remainder of the opening with peanut butter and freeze it. Works great.