Mouthiness

cptn

Mouthiness

Post by cptn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:52 pm

I feel like my Britt pup (5.5 months) bites and mouths an excessive amount. Everyone's telling me that I'm approaching the "terror stage" of 6-9 months, and that around a year, it'll slow down. When did your pup stop the biting?

I've tried lemon juice (seemed to make it worse), leaving the room, pinching his lip, sticking my hand under his 's tongue, but he views it all as play. I've yelled, growled, and everything.

Sometimes, it's really frustrating and hurts to the point where I just compulsively shove him. I have bruises all over my upper arms (his favorite spot to go for), and I think it's because he is finally finishing up growing his new set of adult chops.

Is there something I should be doing, or should I just ride the wave of puppy adolescence? When did you realize your dog no longer mouthed you? I don't like/ want to shove him, but sometimes, it's the only way to get him off me. He's drawn blood a few times, and he never goes for the face or neck. But if you reach to pet him, he goes for your wrist. He never bites strangers, though. He jumps and licks them and loves when they pet him.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

DogNewbie

Re: Mouthiness

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:05 pm

Sounds odd to me. I never allowed my pup to mouth/nip/bite. Sounds like you're being fairly tough, but maybe he's just really hard headed and needs more pressure to get rid of the biting. I'd pick him up by the scruff and shake him or pin him to the ground. Have you tried either of those methods?

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:17 pm

I've grabbed his scruff, and I've pinned him, but he flips if I pin him. Like eyes wide, full body flailing so I let him go. I stopped with that method because I felt like I was encouraging or creating a foundation for aggression. He's a strange dog. Very sweet when he's tired, but any other time. Any person he knows well, he bites. But all strangersare treated like gold. He's especially gentle with young kids. Is it something I'm doing, or is it just because he's comfortable with me?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:27 pm

CPTN,
You are letting that puppy have the upper hand ... and in the relationship between you two, that is a losing proposition for you both. He is not a person and his parameters in the relationship must be set and held by you. If you pin that dog, don't let it up until it submits. Lay him flat on his side and keep him there until he calms. Don't do an alpha roll ...just pin him on his side and stroke him until he is calm. When the little...let's call him a scamp in the name of diverse readers...bites at you, stick your whole fist in his mouth and keep pushing until he makes an escape. Be consistently firm and not sporadically aggressive in frustration that is what i am reading in your post, forgive me if I am wrong.

edit...I re read him biting your upper arm, knee him a bit and dominate the space the dog is in and give it a firm ...NO. This sounds like it has progressed a bit, again be firm, physical (don't read striking, kicking etc..read dominating space, taking the feet off the ground, spinning by the neck scruff,etc...) , and consistent.

Hey, when did we get spell check? That takes some of the fun out of this...

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:33 pm

cptn wrote:I've grabbed his scruff, and I've pinned him, but he flips if I pin him. Like eyes wide, full body flailing so I let him go. I stopped with that method because I felt like I was encouraging or creating a foundation for aggression. He's a strange dog. Very sweet when he's tired, but any other time. Any person he knows well, he bites. But all strangersare treated like gold. He's especially gentle with young kids. Is it something I'm doing, or is it just because he's comfortable with me?
Personally, and I would see what other say as well, but personally, I think you have a dog that doesn't see you as the dominate one in the relationship. A submissive dog wont flip out and flail when pinned and it won't continue to bite you if you've made it clear biting is not ok. Some people don't believe in dominating a dog and doing the whole submissive thing (cajun casey has an interesting and smart perspective on this) but I did it with my dog and I like the results. Again, wait for more opinions on this, because I think this is becoming a bigger issue than I have experience with, but my suggestion is to try the whole dominance/pinning him thing and don't stop until he gives in and is calm. My guess is you'll have to do it once.

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:43 pm

You're right! It is aggressive frustration. It's been such a long time since I've had a puppy from the ground up. I've had help in the past, but this is my first time doing it completely alone. So, forgive me if I am always asking questions . I'll try not to let him up next time until he's calm and see how it works. I've tried the fist thing. I've been sticking my hand in his mouth in some form since he was 7 weeks. The lemon seemed to work for a bit, but he became really hyper and then started having runny bowel movements. Sure he won't just grow out of it? :P
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:52 pm

Yeah, I'd love to hear the opinions of people that do the dominance method and ones that don't feel it's necessary and what they do instead. I practice the NILIF method, and he realizes that I am his source for everything, but he doesn't redpect me because of it. It could be the way I play with him. We sometimes play tug or wrestle, but you can wrestle witjout biting, yeah?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:53 pm

Maturity will absolutely help in some manner, but your overall position in this relationship is important. You don't need lemons you need to shelve any submissive nature that is natural to you and be dominant. That never means to be angry, or hurtful but always very much in control and never afraid to be physically superior. Consistency is hard for folks who prefer to avoid conflict and with a puppy there is ample opportunity for conflict. When our kids were little I would marvel at my wife...extremely loving and nurturing woman. Sometimes the kids would be doing something in the back seat of the car of a rather benign nature, at least it appeared to be the first 64 times they did it. On occurrence 65 all heck broke loose and mom was hollering at the top of her lungs, 1 in 65 was pretty good odds for a kid, so they were always testing. Your puppy is the same but with much less power of reason.

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Great picture! Never thought about it that way for a pup.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm

cptn wrote:It could be the way I play with him. We sometimes play tug or wrestle, but you can wrestle witjout biting, yeah?
It might be a good idea to stop wrestling with him until you get the biting and nipping problem fixed. Also, I would definitely NOT play tug of war, EVER! It can often be confusing to the dog, especially a hunting dog that is expected to have a soft mouth. Work with those whom your dog is familiar with in reinforcing the no biting rule to maintain consistency. It might also be signs of boredom. Try taking your dog on a walk, hike, or out to work on training (if possible). That would allow him to release energy in a healthy and successful manner (rewarding for all).
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Northwoods

Post by Northwoods » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 am

most every dog i've known has gone through this stage. pretty normal. use the advice given by others. don't play tug of war. the pup will eventually grow out of it.

also always stay calm with the dog. thats a big part of training.
if dog training becomes a battle of wills then you have already lost