What to expect??...thought, feedback...welcome!

MI-Man

What to expect??...thought, feedback...welcome!

Post by MI-Man » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 am

I have a 6 month old GSP that I am taking to northern Michigan this next week. She is CRAZY birdie, I have been doing very little as far as field training with her thus far. We (my wife and children) have been spending a lot of time loving on her and working on basic obediance. I have also let her explore our family farm to get comfortable with the woods and waters through the first 3 - 6 months of her life, she is building confidence every day.
I did take her to a "professional" field dog training in my local area when she was 4 months old to get an "evaluation" done. She did very well on live-birds, used her noise to local birds and also held point very well. She was also introduced to gun fire (although it was just a 22 blank) during the session.
As noted I am headed north next week with a friend (who has raised and worked with bird dogs all his life) to hunt grouse and woodcock, he has a 10 yr old setter we will be hunting over. I am also planning to take my GSP to get her into the woodlands. At this point I am not planning to shoot over her, just let her work the woods and HUNT. I am also not focused on formal training. I am looking at this trip as an opportunity to get her more exposured to "the real deal".
As for my approach, am I missing something here....any thoughts or ideas. Again, she is young and being a first timer with a field dog I do not want to push her.
Thanks!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: What to expect??...thought, feedback...welcome!

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:15 am

I'd be worried about gun conditioning. She's only worked under a .22 but on the trip will be exposed to multiple shot gun blasts.Whenever you go with another dog /hunter things come up that you hadn't thought of. I'd be inclined to not take her on that trip but go on your own sometime. I may be being overly cautious and will be interested in what others say.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:22 am

Take her and run her alone. If you want to shoot birds, hunt over the setter (duh of course :) ) I think you are OK taking her. Like Sharon said be cautious of multiple gun shots. That is why I said take her and hunt (without a gun) over her. Let her figure out the woods, finding you, scents, etc. I agree do NOT hunt her with the setter where you may be blasting shotguns over her. I have a friend's setter ruined because of that.

Take her and hunt her alone...NOTHING better than wild bird contact...

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 am

Sounds like a plan. How are you going to make sure you don't lose track of her?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

MI-Man

Post by MI-Man » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks! Yes, my buddy and I agreed she will not be running with his dog, both separate.
As for keeping track of her....?? I have a checkcord. I have run her a lot on our wooded property and at schools, she does check back often and typically stays within 30-40 yrds, but to your point if she is on the scent of a live bird....not sure?? Suggestions.....(aside from the obvious, not taking her or letting her work off leash)??

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:19 pm

No big deal if you won't be letting her off the checkcord. I would put a bell on her anyway, just so she gets used to it. No GPS collar available?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:38 pm

MI-Man wrote:Thanks! Yes, my buddy and I agreed she will not be running with his dog, both separate.
As for keeping track of her....?? I have a checkcord. I have run her a lot on our wooded property and at schools, she does check back often and typically stays within 30-40 yrds, but to your point if she is on the scent of a live bird....not sure?? Suggestions.....(aside from the obvious, not taking her or letting her work off leash)??
Do you have an ecollar and if so is the pup conditioned to it? If it were me, I'd leave the cc at home and buy a bell at cabelas and put the ecollar on the pup. If the pup isn't ecollar conditioned plan on only using it if the pup runs into a deer. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why the pup would wonder too far out of bell range.

MI-Man

Post by MI-Man » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks for the imput! I do have a dog bell and plan to take it with, she has had it on around the yard and it does not seem to bother her any. Good point on the bell!

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Before you take pup, buy some pen raised quail, take pup quail and a 410 to a field with a friend. Take one quail in hand and pass it under pups nose a few times then in a bowling ball fashion toss quail away from pup, let pup run after it and shoot quail with the 410. After this is done pup will associate the shot with a dead bird. Works well for me every time. Got some pics on here of my girl pup doing that, now to start my male pup as he is the right age for this.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 pm

I have heard it said on this board time and time again and it is so true, "keep it fun" were talking pup
Fester