Tail losing hair

Gertie

Tail losing hair

Post by Gertie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:13 am

So for some reason my 15 month old ES seems to have lost a lot of hair in her tail. It's coming back in but I'm really curious why it fell out in the first place. Anybody have an idea?
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Tail losing hair

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 am

Flea allergy. One bite can cause intense itching and she may have chewed the hair off.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:14 am

No fleas in Central Oregon. What have you been feeding her and did you recently change? Do you give her toilet paper or sand paper to wipe with! :mrgreen:
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm

She eats Acana Prairie with a little salmon oil on it. Been on the same food for about 9 months so I don't think that's it. Can't think of any time she would have been exposed to fleas but I suppose she could have been around them in the Valley or out in North Dakota. I'll give her a good looking over and see if I can find any flea dirt. Any other thoughts?
'Gertie'

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:04 pm

One of mine did similar in his first two autumns. Just part of blowing coat. If you trim the old long hairs a bit, it won't look so straggly while the new hair is growing in.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Is the hair loss the complete length of the tail or just at the tip or near the base?

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:17 pm

Full length and the more I look at it the more I think she's been chewing on it.
'Gertie'

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Did she come in season recently? Bitches generally blow coat around their season.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm

After reviewing Gerties pedigree and considering her age I have one more question,it there small scabs and a greasy look to the skin of the tail? If so My internet diagnosis for this would be localized demodectic mange if she is NOT gnawing at it,if she is gnawing at it a seasonal pollen allergy of some sort,I had a pointer a few years back that had demo mange,the vet explained that it can be brought on by a number of things,grass pollen,wheat stubble,a big variety of things,it struck my pointer at around 2 years old,Another buddy of mine with a very linebred sunrise dog is currently wrestling with a skin coat problem,hers are allergies,She came down with it at 2 years.The salmon oil your adding to the feed ought to have that coat shining like a diamond.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 pm

KwikIrish wrote:Did she come in season recently? Bitches generally blow coat around their season.
Hasn't been in season since last spring. Good thought though.
Wildweeds wrote:After reviewing Gerties pedigree and considering her age I have one more question,it there small scabs and a greasy look to the skin of the tail? If so My internet diagnosis for this would be localized demodectic mange if she is NOT gnawing at it,if she is gnawing at it a seasonal pollen allergy of some sort,I had a pointer a few years back that had demo mange,the vet explained that it can be brought on by a number of things,grass pollen,wheat stubble,a big variety of things,it struck my pointer at around 2 years old,Another buddy of mine with a very linebred sunrise dog is currently wrestling with a skin coat problem,hers are allergies,She came down with it at 2 years.The salmon oil your adding to the feed ought to have that coat shining like a diamond.
There are no scabs or grease and the rest of her coat looks great. Just the tail looks goofy and, like I said, it is all growing back in so in a month or two it shouldn't be an issue. The seasonal pollen allergy could easily be the problem. The fall pollen season around here can be kinda gnarly for a lot of folks so it makes sense that it might mess with dogs too. Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Much appreciated.
'Gertie'