Looking for non alergent hunting dog

Moulders Farm

Looking for non alergent hunting dog

Post by Moulders Farm » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:02 pm

A friend of mine if looking for non alergent hunting dog he thanks a wire haired pointing Griffon is one breed but can not find any in mo. are there other breeds .His wife is allerg to a lot of dogs she has been around So as we all know its hard to have a hunting dog if your wife can not be around it ,or does any one know of a breeder in mo. of griffons that a family man can afford to by puppy ok or a dog that is not to old

Ghosted3

Re: Looking for non alergent hunting dog

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Griffs are suppose to be hypoallergenic. Standard poodles are as well as well as some of the poodle mix breeds. Hope that helps a bit.

Corry

frosso

Post by frosso » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:58 am

I have a friend that has some great hunting poodles. He got his from www.redhuntingpoodles.com
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Meller

Post by Meller » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:49 am

Stellar Vista Kennel
Brookfield Missouri
Stephen Fisher
Phone-660 258 2808 or 660-214-0901

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:31 am

Griffs ARE NOT hypoallergenic and they do shed. Beware of anyone who tells you they are and don't.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:50 am

I myself have pet allergies, but over the years I had noticed that with dog anyway it was very breed specific. Labs and goldens would trigger me almost immediatly and strongly, but others would not. So when I came home from work that fine day, to my wife bubbling over a dog she saw at the dog part while walking with a niece and her dogs. I said the only way is to do a sniff test. As luck would have it the breeder my wife found had produced the dog she had saw and over a couple of days arraged a visit with the dogs owners.

I did everything to try and trigger a reaction, nothing happend and the rest is history. We got a large Munsterlander and as far as we can gather the less oily coat is what works for me. The LM does shead, and there are times I can feel my alergies, but in general it's very managable,and if anything my seasonal allergies were actually better this year with the dog around.

So I would recommend "sniff" test a couple of different breeds and go from there.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

A vet. friend of mine said there is no such thing as a 'hypoallergenic' dog. It's just that some dogs produce more dander than others, particularly ones with a double coat. Dogs with single coats (short-hairs, pointers, vislas, etc.) tend to have less dander than double-coated dogs (labs, goldens, chessies, etc.). So, I'd say if you're worried about allergies, get a dog with a single coat, keep it brushed and maybe put some salmon oil on its food to keep its skin from becoming dry. Hope that helps.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Put the dog outside and tell your wife not to mess with it. Some people are allergic to even hairless breeds.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Put the dog outside and tell your wife not to mess with it. Some people are allergic to even hairless breeds.
+1 :D

roosterbrews

Post by roosterbrews » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:09 pm

My allergies are pretty bad I have had no problem with 3 types of dogs. Poodles pudelpointers and laberdoodles. My GSP makes me itch real bad but he's awsome so he can stay and we have a pp coming in may. Just go to a few breeders and meet the older dogs if you are ok a few hours later you found your dog. all 3 of those breeds shead very little if at all.

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I've heard that it depends if you make rections to Fur and /or Saliva.... If it's fur, you might be good with some breed depends on the time of the year, shedding, etc.. but saliva is the everywhere there is a spot fo saliva everytime your touch saliva form your dog it will trigger a rection. My stepmother is only allergic to fur and make a lot of readtion to my step brother Golden retriever but make sometimes no reaction at all to my Britt..

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:14 pm

mobeasto123 wrote:I've heard that it depends if you make rections to Fur and /or Saliva.... If it's fur, you might be good with some breed depends on the time of the year, shedding, etc.. but saliva is the everywhere there is a spot fo saliva everytime your touch saliva form your dog it will trigger a rection. My stepmother is only allergic to fur and make a lot of readtion to my step brother Golden retriever but make sometimes no reaction at all to my Britt..

David
My wife is so so on dander, but saliva, and especially dog sneezes hives are everywhere. Dander effects her and all, but not nearly as bad as being licked or sneezed on.

Corry

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:14 am

aulrich wrote: if anything my seasonal allergies were actually better this year with the dog around.
There was a study done awhile back that showed kids growing up in households with dogs have fewer allergic reactions to all kinds of things that produce allergies in other kids in "non-dog" homes. It seems that the presence of the dog (and everything he brings with him) helps the kiddos develop resistance to allergens. (Of course, I'm sure there are extreme cases in which this does not apply -- but for the average kiddos...)

dead mike

Post by dead mike » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:37 am

PP's dont shed.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:54 am

dead mike wrote:PP's dont shed.
All dogs shed, some more thn others, just like other animals with fur.feather, or hair coats.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am

They are not in Missouri but give Larry at Aux Lake Kennels in Kansas a call I'm know he would be happy to talk with you. Great guy who knows his dogs and will let you know if they will work for what you are wanting. http://www.auxlakekennels.com/

campesino

Post by campesino » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:46 pm

I am an allergist, and there is no such thing as a non-allergenic dog. Every living creature sheds skin, and it is the dander that is the primary problem. The allergenic proteins are also present in saliva and urine, but dander build up is usually the biggest issue. Long-haired animals seem worse because the coat holds onto the dander. With short hair breeds, it falls off on your floor and gets incorporated into the housedust. Neutering helps reduce the production of these proteins. Washing weekly removes dander. If the animal is to be indoors, keep out of the bedroom area, and especially off the bed-we spend at least a third of our lives in this environment. Move to hard floor surfaces for dust control, think about a cheap HEPA filter in the bedroom, HEPA filter in the exhaust circuit of the vacuum, and avoid dust magnets. Allergy shots through a board-certified allergist (ask) can be very helpful.

With any daily ongoing exposure, some degree of tolerance will develop. This means you will probably not see the immediate itching, sneezing, hives etc. with close contact, but there is ongoing inflammation and you may have nasal congestion that just never clears, asthma that isn't as well controlled as it once was, or recurrent sinus infections. The immune system gets fully recharged with a break in exposure of a few weeks, and I often see kids coming home from college for the holidays who end up in the ER with asthma attacks after being around the animal they grew up with and "weren't allergic to".

Yes, you may find specific animals you do very well with, but it is a crap-shoot and not breed-specific. Be careful, there are some unscrupulous breeders who make a lot of money promoting designer dogs as "non-allergenic". I see the consequences on a regular basis. My usual advice to this question is to advise getting a tough breed that can stay outside if it isn't tolerated indoors. Neutering/spaying can also help a lot. I hope this helps, and good luck.