Survey on Canine Athletes

Doc E

Survey on Canine Athletes

Post by Doc E » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Some of you may have already received this, but for those that haven't, Dr. Chris Zink is doing an annonymous survey to better understand what we do for our canine athletes.

Here is her email : "To all my friends with canine athletes: I have designed an anonymous survey to help people learn more about the needs of canine athletes. It seems hard to believe to those of us who are passionate about canine sports, but there is hardly ANY research being done on injuries and conditions specifically affecting canine athletes. One of the big reasons is that the demographics of canine athletes and their people are not well known. This survey will start to change that."

Here is the link to the survey : https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CanineAt ... mographics

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Survey on Canine Athletes

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 pm

I can see the definition of Athlete being pretty wide spread.....LOL.

i envision couch potatos leaping off the couch for a pork chop fallen from a kitchen counter...... :lol:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I can see the definition of Athlete being pretty wide spread.....LOL.

i envision couch potatos leaping off the couch for a pork chop fallen from a kitchen counter...... :lol:
So you didn't do the survey?

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:08 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I can see the definition of Athlete being pretty wide spread.....LOL.

Part of the survey is about your dog's activities.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:11 pm

I started and then found there was no catergory for hunting. Guess that isn't a sport anymore, but it sure would change the results of the survey so I quit.
Hard to believe you have to do something other than hunt with a hunting dog to be considered an athlete, which I question if the term even applies to a dog.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 pm

When my setter had surgery , the vet referred to her as in the "athlete category" - .. lean, muscular, strong cardio system , skilled. He predicted that she would rehabilitate 2 weeks sooner than most dogs; he was right.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:34 pm

I was just kidding with the comment....yes i did take the survey.

As Ezzy noted no category for hunting or a dog that works for a living like guiding........
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:50 pm

birddog1968 wrote:I was just kidding with the comment....yes i did take the survey.

As Ezzy noted no category for hunting or a dog that works for a living like guiding........
There wouldn't be anything to be gained at this point from including a hunting dog or a dog that works as a guide dog. Or, for that matter, a working stockdog or any dog that doesn't perform specific physically demanding repetitive tasks. Dr. Zink is the person who determined that dewclaw removal could be detrimental to dogs who performed Agility. Her research requires specifics and grade working dogs of any type simply cannot provide the data.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 am

Wellwith that definition at least I know I am an athlete. :mrgreen:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:20 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
birddog1968 wrote:I was just kidding with the comment....yes i did take the survey.

There wouldn't be anything to be gained at this point from including a hunting dog or a dog that works as a guide dog. Or, for that matter, a working stockdog or any dog that doesn't perform specific physically demanding repetitive tasks. Dr. Zink is the person who determined that dewclaw removal could be detrimental to dogs who performed Agility. Her research requires specifics and grade working dogs of any type simply cannot provide the data.
Malarky

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 am

Why?

Hunt test are not done every weekend, trials are not done every weekend etc. Most of the stuff listed is not done every weekend.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:40 am

Ruffshooter wrote:There wouldn't be anything to be gained at this point from including a hunting dog or a dog that works as a guide dog. Or, for that matter, a working stockdog or any dog that doesn't perform specific physically demanding repetitive tasks. Dr. Zink is the person who determined that dewclaw removal could be detrimental to dogs who performed Agility. Her research requires specifics and grade working dogs of any type simply cannot provide the data.
Why?

Hunt test are not done every weekend, trials are not done every weekend etc. Most of the stuff listed is not done every weekend.[/quote]
The dogs who participate in those activities often have a more structured conditioning routine than those that don't. As the introductory e-mail stated, it's only a starting point.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:25 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:There wouldn't be anything to be gained at this point from including a hunting dog or a dog that works as a guide dog. Or, for that matter, a working stockdog or any dog that doesn't perform specific physically demanding repetitive tasks. Dr. Zink is the person who determined that dewclaw removal could be detrimental to dogs who performed Agility. Her research requires specifics and grade working dogs of any type simply cannot provide the data.
Why?

Hunt test are not done every weekend, trials are not done every weekend etc. Most of the stuff listed is not done every weekend.
The dogs who participate in those activities often have a more structured conditioning routine than those that don't. As the introductory e-mail stated, it's only a starting point.[/quote]
Scientific test are not done on an assumed basis such as often, sometimes, might be, they are often more structured. Are you the one that decided these possibilities or was someone else involved? Hunting and guide dogs are probably doing what hunt test dogs do only they do it all day and many times a week. Hunt test are a 30 min. to an hour walk in the park no matter how structured.

There may be something to be learned with a true test but not so much from the questions being asked on a faulty premise as explained by someone without any real knowledge of the whole project.

Ezzy

Debf

Post by Debf » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm

The survey gives the option to write in an activity so I simply added hunting. I've done most of the other activities listed on the survey but, hunting requires the most athletic ability by far and is the only one that has ever caused injured my dogs.